When was last successful Saints DB picked in the draft? (1 Viewer)

unome_brother

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've had fun watching the Senior Bowl and looking at the DB's in particular. I can't remember the last successful CB drafted by the Saints. Josh Bullocks I wouldn't call successful even though the coaching staff may disagree with me. And I like Roman but I wouldn't call him successful yet.

That's a really depressing question. What is successful? A starter like Fakhir Brown? Dave Waymer? Toi Cook? Tommy Myers? Not a good history drafting any position, especially DB's.

I can't think of any first round picks other than Molden. Maybe for CB's I"d go with Vince Buck - I think he was a 2nd rounder? :shrug: Otherwise maybe Gene Atkins for Safety? I can't remember if we drafted him (maybe a 5th Rounder???)?

Last edited:
Alex Molden had a great rookie year, but turned into a pumpkin the next year and never changed back. I've been a Saints fan since I was 8 years old in 1983, and I'm hard pressed to name a guy. I believe the best DB's we "DRAFTED" were Vince Buck and Gene Atkins.

Hey guys, I've had fun watching the Senior Bowl and looking at the DB's in particular. I can't remember the last successful CB drafted by the Saints. Josh Bullocks I wouldn't call successful even though the coaching staff may disagree with me. And I like Roman but I wouldn't call him successful yet.

i gotta disagree too i like josh, i think its too eairly hes only been in the leauge what 3years? with 2 diff head coaches, and playing diff positions each year! thats alot to ask for a young player dont you think? give him another year at fs and lets see how he pans out. i think hell be just fine if not really good, hes got all the physical tools lets see how he much he matures under a more stable enviroment.:9:

roman is good but i would like him better if he were alittle faster. remember he tore his knee up last year and before that he was playin some good football. both guys are young so i would give it a bit more time before id give either one of them a grade.

well since ive been a saints fan we havent drafted many defensive backs that stuck with the team. so......

Last edited:
Alex Molden had a great rookie year, but turned into a pumpkin the next year and never changed back. I've been a Saints fan since I was 8 years old in 1983, and I'm hard pressed to name a guy. I believe the best DB's we "DRAFTED" were Vince Buck and Gene Atkins.

we passed on Eddie George and drafted molden

The answer is:

Tommy Myers, 3rd round. 1972

No luck since. The best ones we drafted since then were Vince Buck, whose career was cut short by injury and Reggie Sutton, whose career was cut short by his addiction to cocaine.

That's a really depressing question. What is successful? A starter like Fakhir Brown? Dave Waymer? Toi Cook? Tommy Myers? Not a good history drafting any position, especially DB's.

Yeah I know it's depressing but I just think it's really interesting that no matter who is coaching it seems like this franchise passes on CBs in the first round. It seems like every year we go into the draft saying we need corners and never pick them. Maybe because of Molden. I know the one that hurt me at the time was passing on Trufant and getting Sullivan. I screamed "nooooooooooooooooo" at the top of my lungs, which i am known to do during Saints drafts.

We traded a 2nd round pick for McKenzie. Does that count?

I didnt think Toi Cook was that bad. He didnt make any Pro Bowls that I can remember but he played pretty good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom