When, Where, and How did you meet your 1st Saints player?? (1 Viewer)

AmerVet

The 1 Arm Receiver
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Your 1st Saints player? I'm young and Ive been to a lot of games starting back in 88 at around 4yo. But I didn't officially meet a Saints player until 98. I went to Fortier high school when I was a freshman. Since the school was at around the bottom of the barrel academically, I focused on music which I was already good at being that i played the trumpet since 7yo. Well long story short, I made the New Orleans all star band my freshman year and we performed at a Saints game. As we sat on the far sideline like close to the goal line(wherever they sit marching bands who perform at Saints games) the players came out and were warming up before the second half. I decided to go to the restroom and had to walk with security so as not to interfere with anything or anyone. On my way out, a ball hit me in the back hard as sh-- lol. When I turned around, there was Fred Weary offering his apology to the skinny kid he almost paralyzed because he couldn't catch.........Even in warm ups.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was working at the Beef Room on Causeway @ Vets as a bus boy for about a year during HS between 81 and 82.

Archie, along with Olivia, Cooper and Peyton came in for dinner one night.

I don't recall if an infant Eli was with them, it could have been before he was born. I know he was born in 81, I just don't recall there being a baby present that night.

They were very gracious to me and the other staff assigned to their table. He even talked briefly to the waiter and myself about the Saints since we both mentioned we were big fans.

I've not met any players since then with the direct contact I had that night with Archie and his family. Only the quick meets at camp with Drew and others along the barricades after practice.

I met Archie Manning when I was eight years old in 1973. My dad won a charity raffle for dinner with Archie. After dinner, my parents asked Archie to come back to our house to meet my three younger brothers and me. We were already in our pajamas but as you can tell from the photo, I was very excited to meet him.

Archie.jpg

I met Deuce on a flight back from Chicago. This was when he hurt his ACL the second time. He didn't fly with the team. I mostly left him alone, because our flight got delayed.

All Saints Day 2008 I was at the Hornets season opener, and after the game I headed to the Ritz Carlton, because a friend was staying there and we were gonna get a drink. On my way up to her floor, as I get out of one elevator, who gets out the next one over? Drew Brees and his pregnant wife Brittney (first child). I was going to say hi, but they looked like they were hurrying back to their room.

I met Mike McKenzie at a Heat game in 2008. He was still rehabbing his knee. We talked for a good while and got a photo. He's a nice guy. Big smile.

This past March I went back to New Orleans and during the Italian Day (or St. Joe's) parade in the Quarter, my gf ran up to Zack Strief (Grand Marshall) to snap a photo and talk for a sec (they stopped)

EDIT: Added pics

2723_76870769832_2051774_n.jpg

430483_3142326235366_1652082129_n.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't met a player but I met Sean Payton a couple years ago at a St. Paul's school function in Covington.

Jake Kupp came to my church when I was a kid. Yes, that was a while ago.

Spoke to a few players at training camp last year. But other than that I haven't met anyone in the street.

Living in Scotland kinda limits my chances of running into any NFL players let alone Saints players.

I did however see JJ Watt in Philly Airport last year and gave him a nod. He appeared to be largely unnoticed.

Darren Sharper, October 2010...In the Lakeside Mall (Dillard's) in Metaire, LA. He signed an autograph for my daughter. She has kept that autograph guarded ever since lol. I'd surely like to meet or run in to more Saints players! :hihi:

I met Archie Manning when I was eight years old in 1973. My dad won a charity raffle for dinner with Archie. After dinner, my parents asked Archie to come back to our house to meet my three younger brothers and me. We were already in our pajamas but as you can tell from the photo, I was very excited to meet him.

Archie.jpg
unless someone won a chance to sleep at the foot of Drew and Brittany's bed, you win!

Lynell Hamilton came to our Roanoke Saints Fan Group on game day to watch a Saints game with us.
Nice guy.

i went to a saints practice in mississippi a few years back. got about 10 autographs on a football including drew's.

In '96 when I was 12 I used to play on the same football team as Sam Mills son. Well during a practice Sam was just hanging out on the sideline and apparently, my mom met him and decided to get his autograph for me. So she goes to the car gets a hat (a 9ers hat, my dad was a fan. I know) and hands it to Sam and he looks at her confused and signs it anyways. After practice, my mom gives me the hat and tells me the story and introduces me to Sam. My first words to Sam was I'm sorry, my mom is not into football. He just laughed and said its ok. I got to hang out at his house a few times. That man was pure class.

willie roaf, normand hand (oh man, what a character he was, i got a tour of his 442 olds collection), joe horn, all met while working at cox communications.

joe horn i've also met a few times during his bbq sauce signings, ran into zach strief in walgreens as he was filling a prescription (post-superbowl, first thing i noticed was the ring).

my sister-in-law tried to get me to come meet mike mckenzie, but by the time i arrived he had just left. my wife used to work for archie's bff, so she had the opportunity to talk with him a few times.

i've also met various former coaching staff from back in the haslett days, but i doubt i'd be able to name any without photos. oh and i worked at deuce's house in luling, but he wasn't there :( on a side note, i've been to chuck norris' house in navasota, texas. he wasn't there either :(

Who: Sam Mills, Pat Swilling and Vaughn Johnson
When: 1989
Where: The shower
How: I brought them towels as they were getting out of the shower after they participated in a charity basketball game at my high school. And no, I don't have any pics or autographs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom