When will the Saints respond to the London home game? (1 Viewer)

After getting hosed with that "home" game against the Giants at Giants Stadium back in 2005, I absolutely think that this should be someone else's "problem."

Big deal. We had one of the worst national disasters ever hit New Orleans. Other than postpone the game, and open up a can of worms for everyone, I don't know what else the NFL could have really done.

Big deal. We had one of the worst national disasters ever hit New Orleans. Other than postpone the game, and open up a can of worms for everyone, I don't know what else the NFL could have really done.

It's a very big deal. The NFL should have had us play the game at a neutral site--NOT in the home stadium of the opposing team.

But back to the game in London. Thirty-two teams in the NFL. Why us? Why now? Why would the NFL do that to our fans?

I'm sorry if I am coming across as rude to you, Waymer. That's certainly not my intention. But I am EXTREMELY mad about this.

This game will be important... Brees vs Rivers and I was excited when I found out the Chargers was going to be playing us out here. I always wanted to see LT play.

Make the Giants "home" game an away game and give the Saints an extra home game the following year. Instead, the Saints got to play the Giants on the road twice in a row. That wouldn't have been hard.

:dunno:

It's a very big deal. The NFL should have had us play the game at a neutral site--NOT in the home stadium of the opposing team.

But back to the game in London. Thirty-two teams in the NFL. Why us? Why now? Why would the NFL do that to our fans?

I'm sorry if I am coming across as rude to you, Waymer. That's certainly not my intention. But I am EXTREMELY mad about this.

I don't think you're rude...it's a good debate, one that many on this board have had.

I'm far less concerned with our fans. I think our fans (not directed you) like to play the role of victim every chance possible. This means far less to the fans than it does to NOLA and the potential economic impacts. That argument, I understand. At the same time, the fact that the NFL picked the Saints and consider them an exciting team isn't necessarily a bad thing. Additionally, some media outcry about this has began to trickle in, and it only helps to keep NOLA in the spotlight, which I see as a great thing. The one downside I agree to is the projected loss of revenue the City (not the Saints) will lose.

Make the Giants "home" game an away game and give the Saints an extra home game the following year. Instead, the Saints got to play the Giants on the road twice in a row. That wouldn't have been hard.

:dunno:

If you gave the Saints an extra home game the following year then yet another team the next season will be forced to have 9 away games. Now, instead of just punishing 1 team (the Saints), you have directly punished 2 teams (the Saints and the other TBA road team). Additionally you punish the entire NFL, or at least the NFC, by giving the Saints a competitive advantage (real or perceived) the following year by having 9 home games. Yes, you can argue that the Saints had a competitive disadvantage (again, real or perceived) the previous year...but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I don't think you're rude...it's a good debate, one that many on this board have had.

I'm far less concerned with our fans. I think our fans (not directed you) like to play the role of victim every chance possible. This means far less to the fans than it does to NOLA and the potential economic impacts. That argument, I understand. At the same time, the fact that the NFL picked the Saints and consider them an exciting team isn't necessarily a bad thing. Additionally, some media outcry about this has began to trickle in, and it only helps to keep NOLA in the spotlight, which I see as a great thing. The one downside I agree to is the projected loss of revenue the City (not the Saints) will lose.

Are you kidding me?? Talking about "far less" like this is some nonchalant issue for the fans. Losing this game means a lot more to the fans then you think. It was the fans that sold out the tickets last year for the first time in the history of the franchise, coming off one of the worst years(3-13) for the Saints in recent memory, showing tremendous support, and this is what we get. Both the city and the fans are getting screwed with this deal. Each and every game is like a mini vacation/diversion/highlight of the year(especially a team such as the Chargers) for myself, my brother, and many other fans(many still scattered from the storm) living all around South Louisiana/South Mississippi, who make the trip several times a year. These experiences cannot be measured by any scale but it is very much a real and important aspect to this franchise whether the NFL or Benson gives a #$%^ or not. Keep pissing off the fans and one day the #$%^ is going to blow back in their face.

On top of that I've seen a few posters who are even suggesting we play an international game every year. That's unbelievably insulting to say the least!!!

This isn't baseball where there's already 100 home games where the fans aren't going to sweat a game or two this is the the NFL and an already limited number of precious games as it is.

I've also stated numerous times when this discussion came up over a year ago, that I was against ANY expansion for ANY team losing any game and now that's it's us, I still feel the same way.

Take the Saints out of the situation - NFL regular season games played at alternate sites is a loser for fans...

I agree with this. I think the general concept is a worthless concept, but it's happening regardless.

Are you kidding me?? Talking about "far less" like this is some nonchalant issue for the fans. Losing this game means a lot more to the fans then you think. It was the fans that sold out the tickets last year for the first time in the history of the franchise, coming off one of the worst years(3-13) for the Saints in recent memory, showing tremendous support, and this is what we get. Both the city and the fans are getting screwed with this deal. Each and every game is like a mini vacation/diversion/highlight of the year(especially a team such as the Chargers) for myself, my brother, and many other fans(many still scattered from the storm) living all around South Louisiana/South Mississippi, who make the trip several times a year. These experiences cannot be measured by any scale but it is very much a real and important aspect to this franchise whether the NFL or Benson gives a #$%^ or not. Keep pissing off the fans and one day the #$%^ is going to blow back in their face.

Meh. I still say big deal. I called NOLA my home for many years and I always will. I still think the economic loss is the big loss here. As for the fans, I again say meh. I travel 9 hours every weekend to go to the games. I love the games and I wouldn't trade my season tickets in regardless of record, and believe me, we've seen some awful records since owning the tickets. But the same great and supporting fans you describe didn't seem to care that much considering they left so much of the terrace (heck, even the club) open last year during the tough times and "bad" records. Saints fans are good fans, but a lot of them would just rather watch the game at home when times are tough. Thank goodness the entire season was sold-out before the start of play, or we'd be requiring corporations to step up and guarantee a sell out like the old days.

On top of that I've seen a few posters who are even suggesting we play an international game every year. That's unbelievably insulting to say the least!!!
That's just dumb. You'll get no argument from me. But this is a one time dog and pony show, so big deal.

This isn't baseball where there's already 100 home games where the fans aren't going to sweat a game or two this is the the NFL and an already limited number of precious games as it is.
Again, fans didn't seem to sweat the 10 games last year when they were leaving so many vacant seats scattered throughout the Dome.

I've also stated numerous times when this discussion came up over a year ago, that I was against ANY expansion for ANY team losing any game and now that's it's us, I still feel the same way.
I was and still am as well. But that debate left the table about 1.5 years ago. We're in this ship now, and so is every other NFL team.

Last edited:
If any team other then the Patriots gets straddled with this On-the-Road-Home game then I will lose all respect for Rodger Badell. If your best team in your league isnt willing to pony up first then something is really afowl with the system.

I suppose the ticket packages should reflect a price reduction of 1 game's expense

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom