When will we really start clearing cap space? (1 Viewer)

Pai Mei

Very Banned
Reaction score
I know we released David Thomas and Johnny Patrick, but the cap savings there was minimal. With the Saints looking at $15M over the salary cap, and free-agency about a week away, when can we expect to see the Front-Office start making the hard cuts to get us on the right side of the salary cap? If we have to be under the cap by a certain date, does that stop us from signing players in the meantime?

I'm seeing other teams already trimming big contracts, it's got to be only a matter of time before the Saints have to do the same.

You'll probably start hearing about Smith/Vilma cuts/resturctures pretty soon, then probably some others prior to the start of FA.

Question: On what date do we have to be under the cap?

March 9th-11th is negotiation between your own players, March 12th = FA. Late next week at the earliest imo.

Curtis Lofton also restructured.

We're closer than you'd think by reading posts on here. We were $13 million over before Lofton restructured. Now Vilma/Smith/Hawthorne all potentially restructuring.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you still think we're potentially $15 million over, your information is a few weeks out of date.

I'm pretty sure you're right, which coincides with the start of FA.

The next 2 weeks will be interesting to say the least as we get closer to both the cap deadline and start of FA.

Just for clarity, we have to be under the Salary Cap at the start of the league year (March 12th, which also is the start of free agency). If not, the most recent transactions become voided...

Bunkley is another one that can and should restructure.

I hope Sean Payton isn't seriously trying to make Vilma & Will Smith work in a 3-4

SP himself said that he sees Vilma playing ILB in our 3-4. Larry Holder reported that the Saints and Smith are working on a restructured deal. No not a chance SP is trying to make Vilma and Smith work in our 3-4 :rolleyes:

I think hold onto your jockies because we are about to hear alot of team related news.

Sometime after the Combine is over and before March 12th.

My guess would be by this weekend or next week.

Brees needs to restructure if possible!!!!!!!!! His contract is putting the most strain on the cap!!!

Not possible, if our situation is bad, restructuring Brees contract will only make our cap position worst in the next years.

SP himself said that he sees Vilma playing ILB in our 3-4. Larry Holder reported that the Saints and Smith are working on a restructured deal. No not a chance SP is trying to make Vilma and Smith work in our 3-4 :rolleyes:

I'm sure the poster knew what coach Payton has said. He, just like myself and many other posters are ready to move on and don't see them in the plans for our new defense. I love Vilma and Smith and appreciate everything they have done for this organization, but i'm ready to give the young guys a legit opportunity to start and become long term fixtures in RR's new 3-4. Martez Wilson is going into his third season and I would like to see more out of him this year than a situational pass rusher. I'd really like to see what kind of pass rush we could generate with Junior and Tez on the outside. And I think Hicks will be a better 3-4 DE opposite of Cam than Will Smith would, but if Will Smith restructures and sticks around I can't see him playing as a backup.

Brees needs to restructure if possible!!!!!!!!! His contract is putting the most strain on the cap!!!

That's true, but not the right move. His cap hit is the biggest, but managable for this and next year. So, before the 2015 season they'll have to address it. There is a slight chance they tinker with it slightly this or next year, but doubtful.

Will Smith's contract is the smoking gun. Same for Vilma. Then there are a few other guys they can convert a few million of salary into bonus and not kill the cap numbers down the road.

Honestly, Loomis can easily do this without touching Drew's contract.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom