When you recover a fumble, but did you? NFL says Nope!! (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Officials gave Washington a fumble recovery after a Browns player immediately recovered the ball - SBNation.com

It’s gotta be tough on officials determining which team has possession of a fumble in a dog pile. A ref has to sort through thousands of pounds of human as the players scratch and claw and gouge at each other for fleeting possession of a ball.

But on this fumble in the Cleveland-Washington game, the refs had a pretty easy job. Duke Johnson fumbled the ball, quickly got it back, and then stood up and lifted the ball. And as he was standing up holding the ball, the refs looked into the ball-less pile and signaled Washington had possession.

This is beyond ridiculous. Browns just cant catch a break. This has to be up their as one of the worst calls in the history of the game.

Thats just sad. This woman had money on the Redskins. There is no doubt about it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Explain this <a href="https://twitter.com/NFL">@NFL</a>. <a href="https://t.co/B0xdTvkg72">pic.twitter.com/B0xdTvkg72</a></p>— Sports Nation Ohio (@SN_Ohio) <a href="https://twitter.com/SN_Ohio/status/782697658070761472">October 2, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

are the refs untoucables? I bet the refs make a fortune from vegas every game

what I don't understand is, how come this wasn't at least reviewed? how does a head coach even let that get by him?
did this even get mentioned at all post game?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

what I don't understand is, how come this wasn't at least reviewed? how does a head coach even let that get by him?
did this even get mentioned at all post game?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think the article said it was reviewed but they couldn't find evidence of the Browns recovering.

That has got to be one of the most insane things I have seen with the refs lately. And to think it got reviewed and was not overturned. If I was the Browns, I would raise holy hell with the league over that, although it won't change the result. This kind of incompetence cant be ignored week after week.

EDIT: I did not know if it was reviewed so I figured I better go back and see. I re-watched it on GamePass and THERE WAS NEVER A REVIEW! All turnovers are supposed to be reviewed but it was never done. They just spotted the ball and Washington ran a play. The Browns coach was questioning the official on the sideline that made the call and was just ignored.

I was watching that game live and the announcers said nothing. Once again just shows that the league will do anything to prop up the NFC least. I hate the niners and cowpokes but today the niners were leading 14-0 and then the pokes get the biggest bs roughing the passer call ever. Instead of punting they had first down inside the niners 40 and the whole game changed.

There was a similar situation in the Saints - Chargers game. There was that fumble that the refs did not see and therefore did not blow the whistle. SP wanted to challenge but was told that that was not possible according to NFL rules. But it surely looked like the Saints had forced a fumble and recovered it from Rivers

The NFL is not a sports league it is an entertainment business. They have argued that in court. It's just like the WWE. I stopped caring about any NFL outside of the Saints and I feel stupid for caring about them when I know that the outcome is predetermined. The entertaining part is finding out who is favored by the league and how they'll make it happen. It's not different from watching a television series. There's a script, we know that what we're seeing is predetermined but we watch regardless.

EDIT: I did not know if it was reviewed so I figured I better go back and see. I re-watched it on GamePass and THERE WAS NEVER A REVIEW! All turnovers are supposed to be reviewed but it was never done. They just spotted the ball and Washington ran a play. The Browns coach was questioning the official on the sideline that made the call and was just ignored.

Same here, I went back and watched it on Game Pass, if they reviewed it, that was one of the quickest reviews ever. Their excuse is that the Ref saw Washington with the ball, called it, then DJ took the ball afterwards.
But what I watched, he had the ball in his hands holding it up in the air, and the refs were still looking in the pile as if it was still there, then called Washington ball, and DJ was standing there, like what the??

There was a similar situation in the Saints - Chargers game. There was that fumble that the refs did not see and therefore did not blow the whistle. SP wanted to challenge but was told that that was not possible according to NFL rules. But it surely looked like the Saints had forced a fumble and recovered it from Rivers

The Ref said Rivers was "in the grasp" on the sack fumble and not reviewable as the play is effectively "dead" when they make that determination.

However, EVERY QB on a sack is deemed "in the grasp" so wouldnt that negate almost 95% of the QB fumbles ??????? is it just up the to the Referee to decide "WHEN" the "in the grasp" applies?

IS IT SUBJECTIVE??? because if so, NFL has a real officiating issue to clarify.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom