When you win, things like this happen (1 Viewer)

tristang

Banned
Reaction score
San Diego down by 7. 4th and 2. Rivers hits V. Jackson for a 7 yard game. Jackson stands up, NEVER touched, and spirals the ball on the field in celebration. Oakland picks it up.

It's rules an illegal forward pass, SD keeps the ball and goes on to score.

Talk about BS.

Seriously, that should have been treated as a fumble. He wasn't passing that to anyone. From now on, any fumble forward should be treated as an illegal forward pass.

I saw that and I am sorry, but that should be a fumble.

Man...I didn't even have to look that up to know it was Mike Carey at referee.
We should remember Carey from that botched intentional grounding call against Delhomme a while back. Maybe they will apologize to Oakland too. :0007:
Carey also had a bad call in a Jets game this year, that kept getting played over and over...
There definately needs to be accountability for bad officiating.

Oakland has had some tough losses over the past few weeks.

I Feel sorry for them. Reminds me of us the past few years. Nothing seems to go your way when you need it to, not to mention bs ref calls.

I actually thought Devery did the same today on the long pass late in the game. I didn't see the Falcon player touch him as he ran by and I briefy feared that he had just turned the ball over when he lobbed it up in the air.

Yeah that was a horrible calll.. they say it was an illegal forward pass... when in all actuality it was a legal forward fumble... raiders got screwed on that cal big time... Art Shell will get a meaningless "apology" letter from the league this week.

Oakland got royally screwed on that play. They seem to get the short end on quite a few calls each year. Tuck rule anyone? If i was a conspiracy theorist, I'd think the NFL has it out for old Al. Sued 'em one two many times there, Mr Davis.:ezbill:

Apparently it was the correct call. Seems stupid to me, but I'm not an official.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2676820

So, they are saying Jackson fumbled intentionaly? OMG- that's actually worse.
Ironically, this rule came about from Kenny Stabler while he was with the Raiders, playing against the Chargers.
It's also known as "Holy Roller" and "the Immaculate Deception" by Charger fans.

Shortly thereafter, the rule was added that stated an intentional foward fumble was an incomplete pass. They also added that, on 4th down or inside the 2:00 warning, only the player that fumbles the ball can advance it.

As far as this play, there's no way that's an intentional fumble. I'm not too shocked Pereira ruled the call correct. It has to be something pretty hard to explain, like a clock problem (Ravens/Seahawks anyone?), before he will say something was wrong. I don't blame him either, you want to exude an arrogant confidence to the press about your crew. To say something like an obvious celebration is an intentional fumble is a bit over the line, IMO.
Here's some interesting info, but of course entirely coincidental...
Mike Pereira was Mike Carey's side judge for two years.
Mike Carey happens to be from San Diego.
Again, entirely coincedence.
But because he took the standard "correct call" chip from the table, there will be those that wonder.
Pereira is one of the best in the game, but him backing Carey on this is hurting the league.

I actually thought Devery did the same today on the long pass late in the game. I didn't see the Falcon player touch him as he ran by and I briefy feared that he had just turned the ball over when he lobbed it up in the air.

I thought the same thing until I saw on the replay that a Falcon defender patted Henderson on the hind-end as Henderson was rolled over on his back with his legs over his torso. It was just the slightest of touches, too, so it's a good thing the refs saw it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom