Where are they now? Saints LB Jim Kovach (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Jim Kovach was a solid LB for the Saints in the late 70's to the mid 80's. I was surprised to see how successful he had become when I stumbled across this article :

CrowdOptic Raises Another $1M To Build Experiences Based On Where Your Phone Is Pointing

The new funding comes from CrowdOptic’s existing investors, including Silicon Valley Bank, tech legend Ray Lane, and Fisher himself. Fisher also said that CrowdOptic recently celebrated its second quarter of profitability. The company has now raised a total of $3.5 million.

By the way, Fisher was previously CEO of Bharosa, NetClerk, and AutoReach, but he isn’t the only team member with an impressive résumé — COO Jim Kovach has worked at other startups, he has a medical degree and a law degree, and he was a linebacker for the New Orleans Saints and San Francisco 49ers.

More

I remember he wanted to be a Dr when he retired. He was a good LB too.

The amazing thing with Kovach was the way he left the team. For some reason, Bum Phillips put Kovach, a starter, on waivers for a short time. San Francisco scooped him up, leaving Phillips spluttering about there being a "gentlemens' agreement" to the effect that other teams would not claim starters placed on waivers temporarily. That may not be the exact story, but it's close.

I liked Bum, but that one left fans incredulous. So, I don't whine too much about personnel decisions that the front office makes these days. What a change.

I'll always remember him as the guy that tackled Walter Payton on the play that WP broke the all-time rushing mark. After the game he said "I guess now I'll go down in history as a trivia question."

Jim Kovach, Derland Moore, Elois Grooms, and my favorite- Tommy Myers. Ahh- the good ol' days of the late 70's Saints defense. I liked all those guys, but looking back, they were awful statistically.

Didn't he replace Joe Federspiel (sp) in the middle and both were out of Kentucky?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom