Where are you Rudy Giuliani voters going after today? (1 Viewer)

Paul might win Louisiana's delegates. Maybe even Maine. He was 2nd in Nevada, but the thing the media doesn't report is all those Romney supporters left after voting. Paul supporters stayed and became delegates.

Delegates are what decide the nomination. If there is brokered convention, look out.

What do you mean? What is a brokered convention?

What do you mean? What is a brokered convention?

When no candidate meets the delegate threshold required for nomination. The nominee is decided at the convention and candidates with a minority of delegates (ie Edwards) can play king maker. I doubt the GOP convention will be brokered and further doubt that Paul would have much influence.

a brokered convention will be in prime time. Edwards said he will eat red beans and rice and then him clinton and obama must face off in a no holds bared game of turtle. who ever breaths pukes taps out passes out is done.

Basically they keep voting over and over again until they win. There is a lot of wheeling and dealing. Candidates use their delegates to grab VP spots, or cabinet position promises. After the first vote if 1192 delegates are not for one candidate then a lot of delegates become uncommitted.

Ron Paul had a lot of people sign up as delegates, sure they will have to vote one way for the first vote, but if there is a brokered convention they can vote the way they want after that. Some states say you have to wait until the 2nd or 3rd vote, if it gets that far.

Louisiana everyone goes in uncommitted. LA GOP really wanted to play the king maker this convention. We will see how it shakes out at the state convention to vote delegates to the national convention.

I am hoping for a brokered convention, or a McCain vs Hillary showdown. Both situations bode well for Paul!

He's the republican equivalent of John Kerry. He's a flip flopper and tells you what you want to hear. He reeks of "career politician". That's just my opinion though.

Personally, I don't like the hair. And the long underwear kind of freak me out too. But all that aside, I think its the fact that he's a republican that turns me off. Maybe if he shaved his head, wore boxers and became a non-Bush clone.

George Will, in his column today, compared McCain's tactics against Romney to those of the Clinton duo vis Obama. Both McCain and Clinton seem to benefit. This shows one must have a mean streak to win, protestations of fair play and positive campaigning aside.

A McCain-Obama race would be a replay of Clinton-Dole in 1996, a "bridge to the 21st century" vs "where's the outrage?" McCain's support in florida and elsewhere shows that the Republican electorate desires a win over purity. There's a long history of casting conviction over the side in search of a win. This is the state of contemporary Republican politics.

It will be interesting to see the right wing radio community forge a bond with McCain in a Clinton or Obama matchup. the things said about McCain will be all of the opposition research that's needed.

McCain is tempermentally unsuited for the presidency. That's apart from Limbaugh's critique that he'd destroy the Republican party. A party which nominates Richard Nixon has already gained experience in that odious venture.

George Will, in his column today, compared McCain's tactics against Romney to those of the Clinton duo vis Obama. Both McCain and Clinton seem to benefit. This shows one must have a mean streak to win, protestations of fair play and positive campaigning aside.

A McCain-Obama race would be a replay of Clinton-Dole in 1996, a "bridge to the 21st century" vs "where's the outrage?" McCain's support in florida and elsewhere shows that the Republican electorate desires a win over purity. There's a long history of casting conviction over the side in search of a win. This is the state of contemporary Republican politics.

It will be interesting to see the right wing radio community forge a bond with McCain in a Clinton or Obama matchup. the things said about McCain will be all of the opposition research that's needed.

McCain is tempermentally unsuited for the presidency. That's apart from Limbaugh's critique that he'd destroy the Republican party. A party which nominates Richard Nixon has already gained experience in that odious venture.

Granted, but the saving grace for hte GOP is that they are nominating their most electable guy while the Democrats appear likely to nominate the next Dukakis (although Hillary's floor is a little higher than Dukakis').

Just announced on MSNBC, Rudy will endorse McCain tomorrow.

Granted, but the saving grace for hte GOP is that they are nominating their most electable guy while the Democrats appear likely to nominate the next Dukakis (although Hillary's floor is a little higher than Dukakis').

In the most recent Democratic debate, the last round of questioning revolved around who would be the best matchup against McCain. Answer: none of them.

McCain beats them all now, in January. The election is in November. Were elections based on January polls, we'd have re-elections of Carter and Bush 41, and elections of Mondale and Dukakis, I suspect McCain's biography and persona simply overwhelm the electorate, easily outnumbering the policial junkies who listen to talk radio and follow the careers of these people. Those people have a different impression of McCain, but he has always trashed his erstwhile party allies in search of ego gratification.

In the most recent Democratic debate, the last round of questioning revolved around who would be the best matchup against McCain. Answer: none of them.

McCain beats them all now, in January. The election is in November. Were elections based on January polls, we'd have re-elections of Carter and Bush 41, and elections of Mondale and Dukakis, I suspect McCain's biography and persona simply overwhelm the electorate, easily outnumbering the policial junkies who listen to talk radio and follow the careers of these people. Those people have a different impression of McCain, but he has always trashed his erstwhile party allies in search of ego gratification.

it could very well be a race to see who wants to lose the most.

my bet will be on the Democrats - and history serves me well.

I saw the guy who puts out the Cook Political Report on tv today or yesterday. he said something that makes sense. Namely that Obama has a very high ceiling and a very low floor. He could win by 10 points, he could also lose in Mondale fasion.
Clinton has a much narrower band, her "stock" has already been discounted so to speak.

Last edited:
According to Drudge, McCain likes Hillary and pledges a "nice" campaign. If true, this will be a far different response than what Romney garnered. Apart from National Review, everyone else has either not endorsed Romney or cam to him after the Thompson and Giuliani options were exhausted. Huckabee has made a career out of bashing Romney in a tag team match with McCain as a partner.

I cannot think of any major Republican nominee met with so much overt and nearly unanimous hostility as that accorded Romney. I do not know if it's the persona or the money. His cost per vote must be setting a record in the modern age.

Huckabee is obviously auditioning for VP. That would cut out the economic conservative leg of the three-legged Reaganite stool which butressed the Republicans. That may be enough to win, I suppose.

Clinton seems well-positioned to win on Tuesday. Obama, for all his talents, still reminds the rank and file Democratic electorate of the reception accorded Clevon Little in "Blazin' Saddles".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom