Where can we find money? (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
I see threads about Nnamdi, Abraham, Reed, etc. but where are we going to find the money to sign 1 or 2 of these guys? I know that I joke around and say "there is always money in the banana stand," but really, where can we go to find the means to sign these players? We have $6 mil and that might cover one guy, but we need many more upgrades than just one of these guys and some draft picks.

So who do we go to on this roster for money? Or who can we let to of and get money to work with?

We're not going to fill every hole on this team this year.

Ok, but you didn't answer his question. It's a valid one, too. We are advisory bringing in some guys. We wouldn't bring them in w/o the intention of at least making an offer. So, if we do, where can we find more money?

Keenan Lewis's cap hit is $2.2 million. If we sign any of these players who cost much, it will have to be for longer than a year (at least, on paper).

I think they'll have to use a lot of guaranteed money on the front end. Contract terms spread out over a few years with low base in the first year.

Signing bonuses, cuts or restructuring more deals... there are lots of ways to make a player's cap hit small even if we end up giving them something like 6 million to play here this year.

We have $6 mil and that might cover one guy, but we need many more upgrades than just one of these guys and some draft picks.

So who do we go to on this roster for money? Or who can we let to of and get money to work with?

See Questions 1.7 a-e:

NFL Salary Cap - FAQ

Absolutely multi-year contracts that are backloaded. Doable, but not ideal.

superchuck500 said:
Loomis.

Have faith - never doubt.

I know for sure we can find some money and Tom Benson's pocket lol

Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

I see threads about Nnamdi, Abraham, Reed, etc. but where are we going to find the money to sign 1 or 2 of these guys? I know that I joke around and say "there is always money in the banana stand," but really, where can we go to find the means to sign these players? We have $6 mil and that might cover one guy, but we need many more upgrades than just one of these guys and some draft picks.

Chris Ivory's $2 million won't be on the books after the draft I don't think. If we add a safety one of our to vets there could be designated a post-June 1st cut and bring another couple of mil in cap space. Mostly we need to sign younger players to long term deals so we can backload the cap hit, or older guys as cheap stop gaps.

As for the "many more upgrades than", well the easiest answer is there won't be "many more upgrades". Not in free agency.

This has been on my mind recently, us back-loading all these contracts does that mean we're going "all in" during Drew's prime window? Also meaning once that time is over we'd be in a cap-tight rebuilding mode?

This has been on my mind recently, us back-loading all these contracts does that mean we're going "all in" during Drew's prime window? Also meaning once that time is over we'd be in a cap-tight rebuilding mode?

No, we're dropping a lot of bad contracts this year and next. In particular Harper, Smith, Vlma, and Jenkins get cleared off the books next year (well Harper would provide a little dead money in 2014 but not a ton).

Of course, if these players turn out poorly, well just have a new batch of bad contracts to deal with. So there's a chance we could be in this same situation in 2015 or 2016. But there is no looming cap apocalypse, unless Brees doesn't restructure/extend in 2015.

I think it's just life with the salary cap. There's always going to be more talent than there is money. That's the whole point.

Teams with franchise players with huge salaries will have more difficulty with filling their rosters, so you have to make sure that the money is well spent. What's really interesting is that you can see what a benefit it is to have stars well under their paygrade - like Kaepernick. They have that much more money to play around with (for now).

No, we're dropping a lot of bad contracts this year and next. In particular Harper, Smith, Vlma, and Jenkins get cleared off the books next year (well Harper would provide a little dead money in 2014 but not a ton).

Of course, if these players turn out poorly, well just have a new batch of bad contracts to deal with. So there's a chance we could be in this same situation in 2015 or 2016. But there is no looming cap apocalypse, unless Brees doesn't restructure/extend in 2015.

Well those players were on the edge for getting cut this season, sort of. What I mean is the recently resigned players or signed players we out to long term deals but shortly after resigning we restructure allocate more money to the latter years. Even if we were to cut them later on down the road, we'd still be on the hook for guaranteed money pro-rated over the course of the years right?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom