Where do cellphones go? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I felt this was a good Sunday morning read...

<nyt_headline version="1.0" type=" "> The Afterlife of Cellphones </nyt_headline>

13cell600.1.jpg

Richard Barnes / Bring us your old, your broken, your out-of-style: Cellphones at a recycling warehouse in Hilliard, Ohio.

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">function getSharePasskey() { return 'ex=1357966800&en=412e043eaf5d806c&ei=5124';}</script> <script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript"> function getShareURL() { return encodeURIComponent('http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/magazine/13Cellphone-t.html'); } function getShareHeadline() { return encodeURIComponent('The Afterlife of Cellphones'); } function getShareDescription() { return encodeURIComponent('A growing international trade in discarded mobile phones is helping the world’s poor. But will it poison the earth?'); } function getShareKeywords() { return encodeURIComponent('Waste Materials and Disposal,Wireless Communications,Cellular Telephones,Recycling of Waste Materials,Hazardous and Toxic Substances,Antwerp (Belgium),Nokia Corp,European Union,Sprint Nextel Corporation,Qualcomm Inc,Verizon Communications,Motorola Inc'); } function getShareSection() { return encodeURIComponent('magazine'); } function getShareSectionDisplay() { return encodeURIComponent('Magazine'); } function getShareSubSection() { return encodeURIComponent(''); } function getShareByline() { return encodeURIComponent('By JON MOOALLEM'); } function getSharePubdate() { return encodeURIComponent('January 13, 2008'); }</script><nyt_byline version="1.0" type=" "></nyt_byline>
By JON MOOALLEM
Published: January 13, 2008<nyt_text></nyt_text> <!--NYT_INLINE_IMAGE_POSITION1 -->

Americans threw out just shy of three million tons of household electronics in 2006. This so-called e-waste is the fastest-growing part of the municipal waste stream and, depending on your outlook, either an enormous problem or a bonanza. E-waste generally contains substances that, though safely sequestered during each product’s use, can become hazardous if not handled properly when disposed. Those products also hold bits of precious metals like silver, copper, platinum and gold. >>Read the Article

Also click here and send those phones sitting in a drawer off for a little cash. RAZR's get about $20. I think I probably have about $80 in a box somewhere...

I have a bunch of old electronics that I want to throw away but I haven't because I don't want them rotting for 1,000 years in a landfill. I wonder if I can just toss them in a recycling bin? ;)

I thougt there was a charity that took old phones?

I also heard that battered women's groups take them, reprogram to call only 911, and give them away to women who need it.

I also heard that battered women's groups take them, reprogram to call only 911, and give them away to women who need it.

My local Small-Mart had some envelopes for mailing old cell phones to a charitable organization geared towards battered women.

we had a cell phone drive for that reason here at work - though i think all cell phones will call 911 even without being active.

i donated my old one

Check with your local high schools, some collect them to earn money for various programs like band, dance team, cheer, etc.

I believe Pet Smart or some other pet related retailer has envelopes you can put them in and raise money for animal shelters.

Its amazing to me how many people just toss electronics into the trash. I chalk most of it up to people being too lazy to look up how to dispose of them, or who to give them to charity-wise.

I have even found fully functioning and repairable PCs in trash piles and my apartment's dumpsters tossed out, with all the users info and files on them. Of course, I wipe them and resell them. I dont want bad karma on my hands. But, it blows my mind what people could be thinking by just tossing them out like that.

Plenty of people out there who have very little who can use this stuff.

Here is another link for donating.

http://www.cristina.org/

Oh, and if anyone has a razr laying around, send it to me! (seriously, I am looking to buy one <-shameless plug, heh)

Oh, and if anyone has a razr laying around, send it to me! (seriously, I am looking to buy one <-shameless plug, heh)

Dude, you can have mine. That is the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned, not including any Fords I have owned in my lifetime.:hihi:

Check with your local high schools, some collect them to earn money for various programs like band, dance team, cheer, etc.
Not only high schools. Our middle and elementary schools also do it. The phones that are functional end up in the before-mentioned battered women's shelters. The non-functional ones end up at a recycling center. Win-win all around.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom