Where Does Avery Young Play? (1 Viewer)

Boondock

Veritas Aequitas
Reaction score
After reading the recent Advocate article by Joel Erickson on Avery Young I was wondering where does it make the most sense for him to play along the line? RG or RT? Both positions are going to be needs heading into the offseason.

I've read some draft reports that said he would project as a guard in the NFL. He has strength but lacks lateral quickness to play tackle. I would classify him as another project similar to Lelito. Raw athletic talent and strength but lacking refinement and some technique. We will have another interesting offseason along the line. Evans was our savior this season however we need to figure out RG and groom for an eventual replacement at RT. I believe that the left side of the line is solid for the next few years with Armistead and Peat. Unger stud at center. If we can draft a RT and look for a solid FA RG Young would have another year to mature and develop. No way he would be ready to contribute this season after missing camp and most of the season & considering Turner hasn't gotten a wiff of playing time and he's been healthy all season.

I have to agree. I think a FA guard as there are a few. Then either a RT in draft or FA. We still need another DE, CB and LB.

I've read some draft reports that said he would project as a guard in the NFL. He has strength but lacks lateral quickness to play tackle. I would classify him as another project similar to Lelito. Raw athletic talent and strength but lacking refinement and some technique. We will have another interesting offseason along the line. Evans was our savior this season however we need to figure out RG and groom for an eventual replacement at RT. I believe that the left side of the line is solid for the next few years with Armistead and Peat. Unger stud at center. If we can draft a RT and look for a solid FA RG Young would have another year to mature and develop. No way he would be ready to contribute this season after missing camp and most of the season & considering Turner hasn't gotten a wiff of playing time and he's been healthy all season.

Right he doesn't have the quickness to be an NFL LT but he has enough to play RT (he is more athletic than Streif) if not for an injury he was also projected to be a 3rd-4th round pick in the draft.

He could be the answer at RG for us but he does have an injury history that can't be overlooked. The positives are he is strong and quick enough to play LG/RG and RT in the NFL and he could even be a right side version of Peat playing RG and sliding over to RT in the case of an injury. He will definitely be someone to watch this coming offseason to see how he develops.

I have to agree. I think a FA guard as there are a few. Then either a RT in draft or FA. We still need another DE, CB and LB.

Right side DE has to be need #1 but I think we are going to be ok at CB we will have PJ Williams, Damian Swann and Kyle Wilson coming off IR along with Breaux, Moore a steadily improving Crawley and Webb. Don't be surprised if we end up needing a safety or 2 I don't completely expect Byrd and Harper to return.

Avery looks like a RG. I don't recall Peat ever looking good on the right side at RG or RT, and maybe should stick at LG permanently while backing up LT. I'd say Strief's replacement is not yet on the roster.

Would be great if he could be our RG version of Peat like a few people have said. RG and backup RT. Leave Peat at LG and backup LT. Love what we are doing with Peat.

Turner has played some snaps this season. mainly as a third tight end for blocking.

We don't even know if he's good enough to make the team and play in the NFL. He's an UDFA that we brought in and was injured before we ever saw anything about him. I may be mistaken, but I don't think he even got a look in training camp or preseason.

Because of the early injury, we don't know if he's a keeper, or he could have been in the first round of cuts. So, wondering what spot he could play is a pretty big leap of faith in his ability.

Between Young, Lelito, Kelemete, Allen, and Turner, there is some nice young depth available on the interior of the Oline. Young, Allen, and Turner all seem to deserve a chance to improve and Kelemete has proven versatile and valuable. Lelito is what he is at this point.

The right side of the line needs 1 major resource (Med/High priced FA or Early round draft pick. I prefer FA) spent at starting RG, while the depth seems to be already on the team. 1 minor resource (Low priced FA or Mid/Late round draft pick) should be spent at RT. Strief has played outstanding and would appear to be a very viable starter for next year, but a contingency plan/heir apparent must be in house to feel good about the position. He's not getting any younger.

2 resources are needed, 1 big, 1 small. The right side of the line looks outstanding, and Unger, Kelemete, and Allen have OC locked down quite nicely. The Oline is a good unit that is one offseason away from being in the "Top 5 Units in the NFL" category.

We don't even know if he's good enough to make the team and play in the NFL. He's an UDFA that we brought in and was injured before we ever saw anything about him. I may be mistaken, but I don't think he even got a look in training camp or preseason.

Because of the early injury, we don't know if he's a keeper, or he could have been in the first round of cuts. So, wondering what spot he could play is a pretty big leap of faith in his ability.

The fact that they kept this guy around a UDFA who wasn't able to participate in camp or the preseason speaks volumes to his potential. If not he would have been waived months ago.

PFF on Avery, (don't have link, I saved it on my hard-drive)

New Orleans Saints Avery Young allowed the fifth-fewest QB pressures (14) allowed among SEC OTs in the NFL Draft
PRO DAY RESULTS
40-yard dash: 5.39 and 5.35 seconds
Vertical: 25 inches
Broad jump: 8 feet, 1 inch
Short shuttle: 4.9 seconds
3-cone drill: 8.21 seconds
Bench: 20 reps
ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
Big bubble rear that he can sink to help him anchor when being bull¬ rushed. Has starting experience at both guard spots and right tackle. Shows some lightness of feet. Capable and effective in short-¬pull situations as guard. Does a decent job of working feet into position to help secure his block. Athletic enough to operate at guard or tackle as zone blocker.

WEAKNESSES Has habit of ducking head into blocks. Struggles with changing direction against inside moves. Opens post leg and leans into redirect block rather than stepping back inside to slam the door shut. Balance and body control are below average. Doesn't have agility to gain enough ground with kick slides against edge rushers as tackle. Punch is sluggish and hands too wide. Gives away chest too often.
DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 4 or 5

BOTTOM LINE The temptation will be to try Young as a right tackle, but his lack of necessary lateral agility could end up getting the quarterback hit too often. Young's athleticism and length are appealing as a guard, but his inability to sustain blocks with body control and power at the point of attack could make him a backup to low¬-end starter in the league.

TE and really when we pick in the 1st, just taking any player that is the best on the board and can start in the NFL

Right side DE has to be need #1 but I think we are going to be ok at CB we will have PJ Williams, Damian Swann and Kyle Wilson coming off IR along with Breaux, Moore a steadily improving Crawley and Webb. Don't be surprised if we end up needing a safety or 2 I don't completely expect Byrd and Harper to return.

The Saints trying to get Norman and Haden suggests otherwise. Williams and Swann are coming off of serious head injuries. I'm not confident that either will have long careers. Breaux is a keeper...Moore's not on contract. I think that Crawley and Webb are closer to the roster bubble than significant contributors.

I personally would rather build the defense up front first. I think that we need at least one more edge rusher and interior run stopper. I think that we also need a playmaking LB to go along with Robertson.

But I don't think that Payton and co agree with me. They look pretty insistant about bringing in an elite #2 CB to go with Breaux.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom