Where does Michael Thomas rank amongst the greats (1 Viewer)

Yeah he needs more time to be considered a great.

As far as the money, yeah he's earned it so far. I do wonder how much % cap space some older WR took up compared to now. It doesn't really matter though. The current market set its value of a WR and Thomas is paid where he should in that market.

In other words you can try to argue the value of todays recievers versus the past but you can't argue Thomas value among todays recievers.

Last edited:
We can only judge him based on where he's at in his career relative to other WRs at the same point in their career. Statistically you could make a strong argument for MT against anyone. His numbers dwarf some of the guys you listed.

He just needs longevity, return to health and sustaining it and keep on doing the next 7 years or so what he did the first 4. He does that he should be a top 10 ALL-TIME WR.

Michael Thomas has produced every single year, this is not a one hit wonder. He's historically good.
And so did Jimmy Graham in his first 4 years—do you hear anyone mentioning him as one of the all time greatest TE’s?? Again, it’s TOO SOON, probably need another 3-4 seasons before you throw around the “all time” stuff

Overall health and the future QB or QB’s throwing him the ball will have a lot to do with it. As far as production and consistency he’s shown that he can be up there with the greats no doubt!

Jimmy Graham’s downfall was his own doing. The whole “pay me as a WR” thing IMO burnt some bridges and led to his trade out of NO where he showed it was more the system he was in than his own athleticism. Had he been humble and stayed in NO he could have been up there with Gonzo, Gates, & Winslow!

Not imo. Steve Smith was a baller who did it consistently for 15 years or so. Never liked him because he played against us but if he had played for the Saints I probably would've loved him.
And when I hear him on various shows and stuff, I can't help it but I actually like him. As a player, he seemed like such a hothead; but he offers even handed, fair commentary even when he's talking about his old teams or old rivals. I have to give him his props how he always had our number.

This question could be broken down to other questions. To be consider the best all time requires him to have a long career like the others. If he continue on this pace, then he can be consider one of the greats. But body of work so far, he does deserve to be consider the best receiver in the league in recent years. The great debate among Saints fan here is whether he is the best receiver in team's history, especially talking about Colston. There is no denying Thomas has been our best receivers if you want to compare the same number of years between the two. Colston still is the all time leading receiver. But Thomas physically is a better receiver, in my opinion of course. One thing that upset me about Colston is his drops and fumbles. But he does have that unselfish, team first chemistry with Brees. As much as I think Thomas is our best receiver ever, I would still pick Colston in his prime over Thomas just base on his unselfish chemistry. With Colston in his prime, Brees know he didn't have to go to him every time. He can spread the ball around without making one guy happy all the time.

And so did Jimmy Graham in his first 4 years—do you hear anyone mentioning him as one of the all time greatest TE’s?? Again, it’s TOO SOON, probably need another 3-4 seasons before you throw around the “all time” stuff

Wouldn't surprise me if MT gets traded in the next 3 years

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom