Where Does Payton Rank Among Solo Super Bowl Coaches? (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Thought this would be an interesting comparison. In my opinion, if a coach wins two Super Bowls, you deserve to go into the Hall. A few aren’t in yet, but I think they deserve to get in.
But what about the next level? The solo championship coaches. Madden. Stram. Holmgren. Gruden. Ditka. You get the point. Where would you put Payton in that category?

Payton is not done yet, and we all hope and many of us expect him to have more than one Super Bowl victory when he is done. That said, I would say Holmgen first because of having success with two teams, the Packers and the Seahawks. I would put Payton right after him because of the many years of success in New Orleans and taking a team with the history of New Orleans to the Super Bowl and winning it. I would then probably go with Madden, because he had those four lost AFC Championships, in addition to his one Super Bowl victory. Of course Payton now has two NFC Championship losses. All the others, I see as being very similar, and almost one-hit wonders.

Not quite on Madden's level. Besides the SB win, 70s Raiders went to 6 conference championships under Madden, and never had a losing season. While its true he inherited a pretty good team, I'd give him the edge for being able to sustain success

Much better than Gruden, who really didn't do a whole lot in Tampa besides riding in the coattails of an incredible D (who we also happened to beat two times the same year they won the Superbowl :)

I'd say he's about the level of Ditka, although those '85 Bears were arguably one of the best teams ever, they had some pretty dismal seasons as well, and he didn't have to rebuild the team as much as Payton did in 2006.

Thought this would be an interesting comparison. In my opinion, if a coach wins two Super Bowls, you deserve to go into the Hall. A few aren’t in yet, but I think they deserve to get in.
But what about the next level? The solo championship coaches. Madden. Stram. Holmgren. Gruden. Ditka. You get the point. Where would you put Payton in that category?

SP is the best! The others on that list were not robbed by :theclown2::theclown:

Sean Payton should get credit for turnaround the Saints into contenders year in and year out. I would say right now he is one of the best in the league today.

That being said, he needs another Superbowl win to cement himself into any discussions of HOF coach.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom