Where does the Peat contract rank in " oh shoot" type of contracts ? (1 Viewer)

It doesn't. The FO knew exactly what they were getting with resigning Peat. Offensive line play has a lot to do with continuity and having a massive changeover (2 new guards) would not have been ideal going into the 2020 season. Peat is tough as nails, but he does get injured. He's better in the run than the pass and we have become more balanced lately and Peat is one of the reasons for that.

For the Peat misses a lot of games guys.

Peat 13 games played per season.
Armstead 11 games played per season.

Last edited:
Byrd
Browner
Fleener

??
Probably a little better than Fleener.
Peat would at least start for half the teams in the NFL.
Byrd and Browner weren't even practice squad level play when in the black & gold

I will never understand the hate this guy gets. Having a solid and consistent O-line is hard to get and maintain. Got it, he gets injured every once in a while (who doesn't?), and his whiff-rate isn't anything alarming. It all goes back to 2015 when people got upset that the Saints drafted a lineman in the first round which is never a "sexy" pick but the Saints almost always do well on those.

So no, it's not even close to Byrd or Galette or some of these other bad ones.

It doesn't. The FO knew exactly what they were getting with resigning Peat. Offensive line play has a lot to do with continuity and having a massive changeover (2 new guards) would not have been ideal going into the 2020 season. Peat is tough as nails, but he does get injured. He's better in the run than the pass and we have become more balanced lately and Peat is one of the reasons for that.
Peat's plays too soft for the size he is. The guy is build like a small giant but gets run over. He's a great zone blocker and also very good blocking in space, he's just weak.
The Saints value being able to move and block. Armstead, McCoy, Ramczyk can all get out in space and set up a good screen, but they can also blow players off the line.
I'm interested to see what Stref brings to the coaches room. He was a little soft his first year and got better and better the longer he played.
Also, Peat's dead money cap hit next year make him a pretty easy cut if Loomis wants to.

I will never understand the hate this guy gets. Having a solid and consistent O-line is hard to get and maintain. Got it, he gets injured every once in a while (who doesn't?), and his whiff-rate isn't anything alarming. It all goes back to 2015 when people got upset that the Saints drafted a lineman in the first round which is never a "sexy" pick but the Saints almost always do well on those.

So no, it's not even close to Byrd or Galette or some of these other bad ones.
I don't think it's hate, just a combination of where he was drafted and the board's perception of how good he is (he does miss a lot of games too).

Peat's plays too soft for the size he is. The guy is build like a small giant but gets run over. He's a great zone blocker and also very good blocking in space, he's just weak.
The Saints value being able to move and block. Armstead, McCoy, Ramczyk can all get out in space and set up a good screen, but they can also blow players off the line.
I'm interested to see what Stref brings to the coaches room. He was a little soft his first year and got better and better the longer he played.
Also, Peat's dead money cap hit next year make him a pretty easy cut if Loomis wants to.

I disagree. Peat is not soft. I’m not a huge fan of Peat but when he gets beat, it’s in space and he gets his feet in bad position or leaning, he doesn’t get trucked (the way he does occasionally) cuz he’s soft, it’s cuz he’s off balance. He has bricks for feet and lunges way to often. He does play well and strong in the run game.

I think the Saints were forced to pay him that contract because of lack of options. They had their eyes on other players but the market dried up quick and he was last man standing.

Last edited:
Valid point, but Teron is viewed as one of the top LTs in the league when healthy. Is that the case with Peat?

Peat (and Ramczyk) will be starting left tackles in many NFL teams. Both, and their agents, know that.

In the case of these two players, you have to evaluate them (contract wise) as their complete value.

Peat, a pro-bowl left guard that can switch to left tackle during a game in case of injury.

Ramczyk, an all-pro right tackle that can also move to left tackle during a game in case of injuries.

Not only they bring flexibility to our roster, the fact that they can switch and without much notice in the work of the offensive line, is an asset that has value in dollars for new contracts.

Last edited:
Me and my wife argue about this one a lot.
You have to look at that contract with the right perspective.

Peat was the best guard available and Kansas was willing to pay him.
That would have left us in a HUGE hole at the position.

What we did was fine, and we've had one of the better o-lines for 4 straight years.
The problem and the thing that always leaves fan's guessing, is why we have soooo many players that are better at playing the run, yet we have to force ourselves to run the dang ball.....

Yeah he's not in their league. Browner wasn't NFL caliber anymore and Byrd & Fleener brought almost nothing to the table. Peat is just overpaid for the player he is. He's one of the most inconsistent OL guys I have ever seen. From game to game (or really even snap to snap) he goes from being a dominant force of nature to just another guy to a large man who was signed moments before the game, put in pads, and trotted out onto the field.

And I have never seen a player, at any position, spend more on the ground. It's bizarre. But that's who he is. He's a solid player who can be great or terrible. The Saints knew what they were getting. They knew how he fit and they decided he was worth that much to them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom