Where does the Peat contract rank in " oh shoot" type of contracts ? (1 Viewer)

Peat (and Ramczyk) will be starting left tackles in many NFL teams. Both, and their agents, know that.

In the case of these two players, you have to evaluate them (contract wise) as their complete value.

Peat, a pro-bowl left guard that can switch to left tackle during a game in case of injury.

Ramczyk, an all-pro right guard that can also move to left tackle during a game in case of injuries.

Not only they bring flexibility to our roster, the fact that they can switch and without much notice in the work of the offensive line, is an asset that has value in dollars for new contracts.
I can admit I've never really been impressed with Peat and wouldn't trust him as a backup LT, doesn't seem nibble enough for me. Ram is our RT correct?

Peat (and Ramczyk) will be starting left tackles in many NFL teams. Both, and their agents, know that.

In the case of these two players, you have to evaluate them (contract wise) as their complete value.

Peat, a pro-bowl left guard that can switch to left tackle during a game in case of injury.

Ramczyk, an all-pro right tackle that can also move to left tackle during a game in case of injuries.

Not only they bring flexibility to our roster, the fact that they can switch and without much notice in the work of the offensive line, is an asset that has value in dollars for new contracts.

This is what I was coming to post. Versatility is a huge part of his value. His ability to play left tackle at a very high level really important to the team.

IDK, how or why he gets the accolades but he is useful when TA goes down for a swing tackle. That said Peat gets his butt kicked every Sunday we definitely messed up by resigning him to that deal. Less money and I can deal with the outcome but at this price for a turnstile no thank you

He's overpaid but not a bust. He has value. His biggest issue is consistency, if he ever grows out of that it wouldn't be as bad a contract. He does miss time regularly but it's not like you are paying for a hole on the roster.

I'm trying to think of a good comparison. The best I can think of right now is somewhere between Jared Cook (similar with his inconsistency but wasn't as expensive) and Coby Fleener (more of a bust and expensive). I'm closer to the Jared Cook side right now. If the Saints moved on in 2022 and ate dead money for his contract it would be closer to Fleener.

He's overpaid but not a bust. He has value. His biggest issue is consistency, if he ever grows out of that it wouldn't be as bad a contract. He does miss time regularly but it's not like you are paying for a hole on the roster.

I'm trying to think of a good comparison. The best I can think of right now is somewhere between Jared Cook (similar with his inconsistency but wasn't as expensive) and Coby Fleener (more of a bust and expensive). I'm closer to the Jared Cook side right now. If the Saints moved on in 2022 and ate dead money for his contract it would be closer to Fleener.

I agree with this. Peat is payed like a top 3-5 guard but doesn’t give us that in return with his play and availability.

He's overpaid but not a bust.

He is not overpaid, he is a multiple time pro-bowler making the money pro-bowler guards make.

He may be over appreciated as a player (that can be discussed), but he is not overpaid. But consider that not only the saints have a good opinion of him and his game. He is a multiple time pro-bowler for a reason.

He is not overpaid, he is a multiple time pro-bowler making the money pro-bowler guards make.

He may be over appreciated as a player (that can be discussed), but he is not overpaid. But consider that not only the saints have a good opinion of him and his game. He is a multiple time pro-bowler for a reason.

Going to have to disagree there. Pro-Bowls are a joke imo, especially for linemen. Everyone I've seen that reviews film or uses advanced metrics says it's average at best. They see potential to be good but he has too many lapses. They can be single snap lapses or entire game lapses. I see the lapses myself but lean on their opinions since I don't break down linemen snaps. Consistency for a lineman is a very important trait.

Going to have to disagree there. Pro-Bowls are a joke imo, especially for linemen. Everyone I've seen that reviews film or uses advanced metrics says it's average at best. They see potential to be good but he has too many lapses. They can be single snap lapses or entire game lapses. I see the lapses myself but lean on their opinions since I don't break down linemen snaps. Consistency for a lineman is a very important trait.

I am not disagreeing with you. What I am saying is that he may be overrated by media, peears and people who vote for he pro bowl. But he is paid adequately for a multi year pro bowl guard,

I am not disagreeing with you. What I am saying is that he may be overrated by media, peears and people who vote for he pro bowl. But he is paid adequately for a multi year pro bowl guard,

I think they buy into the upside. By all accounts, he's a good guy, a tough player and he's a freak athlete. They think they can get him to be his best and when you see his best it wows you.

I will never understand the hate this guy gets. Having a solid and consistent O-line is hard to get and maintain. Got it, he gets injured every once in a while (who doesn't?), and his whiff-rate isn't anything alarming. It all goes back to 2015 when people got upset that the Saints drafted a lineman in the first round which is never a "sexy" pick but the Saints almost always do well on those.

So no, it's not even close to Byrd or Galette or some of these other bad ones.
Nowhere near the disasters that they were. But to be THAT big and to fall on his butt EVERY other play gets old.

Im not sure about 'oh shoot', but I do think we slightly overpaid. A pro bowl guard and an all pro guard are 2 different things. Im also not fully sure of how Peat has made 2 of the lesser weighted pro bowls - but he has. He is solid if he stays healthy and he also has versatility to play along the line if needed.

FA misses to me are different that re-signing your own guys to big contracts. A couple of in house 'oh shoot' contracts are Charles Grant and Junior Galette.

When you combine the time he spends on the sidelines injured, the time he wastes looking for the stunting D lineman and the time he spends on his rear end, I think we overpaid. He's an average guard making top-tier guard money.

I'm not a Peat hater. Not an apologist either. Saying he is a turnstile is a bit of hyperbole and doesn't do much to forward actual discussion as to what would make him a complete lineman.

I feel like he is close to becoming an all around dominant guard. I don't think the Saints overpaid. As some have already said he is a versatile player.

I don't think he is made of glass either. If an arm is gonna break it's gonna break. Bones aren't weak.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom