Where does this rank? (2 Viewers)

NFL wise, I would place it just under the Jets SB victory over the Colts in '69.

Bingo. By a hair's breadth.

The New England upset of St. Louis, while shocking, doesn't have the historical significance. New England wins this game they are not only 19-0 they are almost certainly at the top of every "Best Ever Dynasty" discussion for the next 30 years. New York didn't just stop the perfect season in the most dramatic fashion possible, they probably killed the Patriot's hopes for a "Best Ever Dynasty" claim as well.

The only reason the Jets SB win gets top nod are the NFL-landscape altering implications of the NFL/NFC vs AFL/AFC matchup.

Right now, after the game, it definitely feels like #1.
Historically, i believe it will go down in the Top 5, but not #1..

but winning win you're a 12 point underdog is an upset.

So it cant be that the oddsmakers were now proven wrong? Oddsmakers dont decide for me whats an upset, the teams on the field and how they play twice do. That they played 4 weeks ago with a similar outcome is far from a fluke upset. The only thing thats making this big is that everyone thought it was somehow already a foregone conclusion that they would go undefeated against anybody. That itself doesnt make for an upset, just a game with a lost opportunity for the Pats for history if they lose. Thats the feeling that people I think are misconstruing as upset IMO.

As was mentioned already, to me upset is the 80 Olympics, Buster Douglas/Tyson, Jets SB, and even Foreman/Moorer. This game was special for what the Pats lost in losing, I just dont classify it as upset IMHO

Last edited:
So it cant be that the oddsmakers were now proven wrong? Oddsmakers dont decide for me whats an upset, the teams on the field and how they play twice do.

Oh but you are? No one thought the Giants would win, no one. That you did doesn't change that. This is a monumental upset, no matter how clairvoyant you personally proved to be.

*"No one" is a figurative term, obviously, literally, you are "someone" and therefore literally speaking "some one" thought they might win.

Bingo. By a hair's breadth.

The New England upset of St. Louis, while shocking, doesn't have the historical significance. New England wins this game they are not only 19-0 they are almost certainly at the top of every "Best Ever Dynasty" discussion for the next 30 years. New York didn't just stop the perfect season in the most dramatic fashion possible, they probably killed the Patriot's hopes for a "Best Ever Dynasty" claim as well.

The only reason the Jets SB win gets top nod are the NFL-landscape altering implications of the NFL/NFC vs AFL/AFC matchup.

True, and the hype in '69 for the Colts was incredible, as was the disrespect that the AFL was receiving across the board back then. The Jets were scoffed at and given zero chance by nearly everyone except own fans. Back then, the NFL championship game was in most peoples minds considered the real Superbowl and the Superbowl was more like an exhibition game due to the fact that again - the AFL was just not taken seriously.

Yea i'd rank it just below the "guarantee"

Now if we're talking all of sports

it would rank in the top 8

No one thought the Giants would win.That you did doesn't change that

I didnt think they would win, thats just it. First time can be considered upset, but how can second time be?

Last edited:
Oh but you are? No one thought the Giants would win, no one. That you did doesn't change that. This is a monumental upset, no matter how clairvoyant you personally proved to be.

*"No one" is a figurative term, obviously, literally, you are "someone" and therefore literally speaking "some one" thought they might win.

Feh. It's a great win for the Giants, but not a monumental upset. The Patriots peaked waaaay to early (November), have looked beatable for the last six weeks, and looked like they were slowly getting spent in holding off Jax and SD at home in the playoffs. Being at home, and loads of experience, got them through those two games (not to mention coaching against Norv Turner).

The Giants were not only a hot team, but they had just seen the Pats a month ago and had nothing to fear. Also, to the extent there's ever been a "book on how to beat Brady", the answer has always been lots of pressure. The only team to consistently give him a hard time in the last few years has been the Dolphins, because they see them twice a year and up until the 2006-07 collapse had had a fine defense and were at least marginally competitive.

So the Giants brought in a hot pass rush, with league-leading sack totals, and you saw what happened. The two teams went toe-to-toe and looked pretty damn even twice in the last six weeks. It's a pleasant surprise, but not a shock, and how this ranks as a "monumental upset" is beyond me. You can't go on the betting line, b/c the public had been hypnotized by Belichick and 18-0 by now, but the Pats in February were not the Pats of mid-season. The Giants didn't play a whole lot differently or better than they did against the Packers two weeks ago, and looked like the better team tonight. By contrast, the Pats didn't look much more than marginally better than San Diego, and only gutsy red zone play kept them from getting beat, because they simply weren't controlling the LOS like they had earlier in the season.

I don't even rank it above 2001, where the Pats sort of came out of nowhere. The Giants were in the playoffs for the third straight year, and finally put it together.

So, lessee, what's higher? In no particular order:

Jets 16, Colts 7 (if you were born after 1960, you don't really understand how this was The Day The Earth Stood Still for pro football fans)
USA 4, USSR 3
USSR 51, USA 50
Pirates over Yankees, 4 games to 3, 1960
Dodgers over A's, 1988
Pats 20, Rams 17
Chaminade beats Virginia
Villanova beats Georgetown
NC State beats Houston
UTEP beats Kentucky
Spinks-Ali
Douglas-Tyson
Ali-Foreman
Blazers over Sixers, 4 games to 2, 1976

Yes, it was an upset, and a great game, but none of the Giants fans I know were conceding anything heading into the game, and watching and listening to Fox and ESPN tonight, I didn't get the sense that any of the commentators were in shock by the result.

If it was the Saints that played the Pats close, twice this season and won in the SB, nobody here would be saying upset.

Just behind the Jets-Colts game. I still like the Olympic hockey team beating the Russians. Stupid Commies never win.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom