Where does Yahoo Sports get these writers? (1 Viewer)

I think the guy did about all he could do. He did slam Drew pretty good, but he also got knocked slightly off balance when wrapping Drew up. I didn’t like the call either.

whether or not we approve, news blurbs like this at least shine a spotlight on shoddy officiating

In today’s NFL officiating, any hit on any QB is suspect to penalty. I can see this one ‘called’ or ‘not called’. I see it ‘justified’ and ‘not’ justified. Similar to holding and pass interference rules, players that test the boundaries risk being penalized.

Bottom line ... win some (calls) lose some.

Can u imagine an article on every call against the Saints that is worse than this?
it's really not that big a deal any way one looks at it, and was not my point

this stringer sent in some lazily-written clickbait that sells yahoo ads to the bay area, a much bigger market

the hit and subsequent "ridiculous" penalty didn't significantly alter the game, so this story doesn't have legs

hopefully, most will read it and realize nfl officiating continues the suck

btw, where was the u/r flag on p-rob's pick in the endzone, after the niner tried to detach rob's head on the way to the turf?

In today’s NFL officiating, any hit on any QB is suspect to penalty. I can see this one ‘called’ or ‘not called’. I see it ‘justified’ and ‘not’ justified. Similar to holding and pass interference rules, players that test the boundaries risk being penalized.

Davenport had a couple of calls against him that were similar a couple of years ago. Of course it was a point of emphasis at that time. They were making ridiculous calls on Clay Matthews at that time.

This is today's NFL. Goodell wants every game to be in the 50's by handicapping defenders as much as possible. It was just that we were on the positive side of a bad call for once. Although the TQS hit later with no flag evened things out imo.

I noticed whenever the Saints benefit in some kind of way from an egregious call, and because it happens so rarely, it usually makes national news with talking heads picking it apart
It's because the National Media wants to counter-balance the claim from Saints fans that the officials are biased against us.

I agree, there should not have been a flag. It was a hard, monster tackle - but he shifted to the side and came down on his side.

The reason the flag was thrown was because in real time the hit looked violent and Brees was clearly injured. I think we benefitted from the "someone hurt a 20 year superstar" rule.

I cringe every time we get a sack because it's 50/50 that it'll be a penalty. This sack knocked Drew out of the game and who knows how long he'll miss but still, that's a tough call.

It's crazy what these defenders have to think about if they get a free run to the QB. In the old days it was just see QB, tackle QB. Now they have to think about not going low, not going high, not touching the helmet in any way, and not landing on top of the QB when they tackle the QB.

He didn’t initiate contact by lowering his head and did not land with his body on Brees. I don’t see why that was a penalty.

But at least the refs were calling it wrong both ways.
It was because he drove him into the ground. You have to remember, the announcers don’t know the rules. Just because they are harping on body weight being on Drew, doesn’t mean that is why the ref called it.

He didn’t land with his body weight on Drew but he drove him into the ground. Still, shouldn't have been called in my opinion.

If anyone deserves a fine it’s Ruiiz.
You admit he drove him into the ground and the rules say you can’t drive him into the ground. Whether you agree with the rule or nit, according to the way the rule is written, its a penalty.

It was because he drove him into the ground. You have to remember, the announcers don’t know the rules. Just because they are harping on body weight being on Drew, doesn’t mean that is why the ref called it.
This is like the third time this has been mentioned and people are still talking about the "pancake" that wasn't called. This is today's NFL.

----

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom