Where is Drew's head at? It's not all physical. (1 Viewer)

silverbullet

Rookie
Reaction score
You've really got to wonder at this point if he's regretting coming back.

We've all talked endlessly about his physical limitations but I'm just as concerned about where his head is.

It's been widely documented that Brees was planning to retire after last season. I've heard it said that as a pro athlete, once your first thought is that you want to retire, you're mentally checked out.

I think Brees came back for a few reasons. One last run to win a SB. To continue to maintain his records vs Brady. I do wonder if Brees would have retired if Brady did.

But since his decision to come back, the world has gone to complete crap.

First of all, there was no offseason workouts, which you know for a perfectionist like Brees hurt.

Then you have him raked over the coals by his teammates. That had to hurt and you wonder, although they say publicly, that everything is fine, how they all really feel. And did it do permanent damage to his status as leader of the team? Normally, I would say no because he was the best player on the team. He's clearly not anymore. It's harder to overlook resentments when you're not performing also.

Unjustly, imo, there is a significant portion of fans who are angry at him for "bending the knee" to SJWs. So you have one segment of fans mad because of what he said and another mad because he changed his opinion. He can't win.

And I really doubt he wanted his swan song to be in front of an empty stadium. Even if things were going well, that's pretty anticlimactic for a HOF career.

Finally, I worry the criticism is getting to him. He has a vacant look in his eyes and his comments about "air yards" clearly show he's reading the critiques about him not being able to get the ball down field. We already knew this based on his specialized arm workout in the offseason.

I truly hope these first two games are an aberration. My gut tells me they aren't.

Best case scenario, he can at least get back to last year's form. It's not good enough to go deep in the playoffs but he can still go out with his head held high.

My nightmare scenario is that we limp to 8-8 and he looks bad the whole way.

saints5021

Have Faith In Breesus
Reaction score
The fact all of his teammates called him out publically over his flag stance (which he has had for years) is sooooo overlooked. A guy that thrives on trust and respect had every skill position player on his offense come out against him one way or another. Of course his head is not where it needs to be.

OP

silverbullet

Rookie
Reaction score
The fact all of his teammates called him out publically over his flag stance (which he has had for years) is sooooo overlooked. A guy that thrives on trust and respect had every skill position player on his offense come out against him one way or another. Of course his head is not where it needs to be.
When it all first happened, I really didn't think it would be a lingering issue but now I wonder. Guys tend to fall in line when their leader is dominating. His leadership has been challenged and now he's not backing it up on the field.

The team will not fall apart. There is too much character and strong leadership, but it's strained.

Reaction score
I don't know. I thought he looked a little tired when I saw his eyes, but honestly I think we're probably reading too much into a bad performance. He played poorly, but I don't think it has anything to do with previously entertaining the idea of retirement or a controversial offseason interview. Regardless of age, we know he's a competitor, so hopefully he will use the performance as fuel to have a great game this week.

harschman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

We've all talked endlessly about his physical limitations but I'm just as concerned about where his head is.

It's been widely documented that Brees was planning to retire after last season. I've heard it said that as a pro athlete, once your first thought is that you want to retire, you're mentally checked out.

I think Brees came back for a few reasons. One last run to win a SB. To continue to maintain his records vs Brady. I do wonder if Brees would have retired if Brady did.

First of all, there was no offseason workouts, which you know for a perfectionist like Brees hurt.

Then you have him raked over the coals by his teammates. That had to hurt and you wonder, although they say publicly, that everything is fine, how they all really feel. And did it do permanent damage to his status as leader of the team? Normally, I would say no because he was the best player on the team. He's clearly not anymore. It's harder to overlook resentments when you're not performing also.

Unjustly, imo, there is a significant portion of fans who are angry at him for "bending the knee" to SJWs. So you have one segment of fans mad because of what he said and another mad because he changed his opinion. He can't win.

And I really doubt he wanted his swan song to be in front of an empty stadium. Even if things were going well, that's pretty anticlimactic for a HOF career.

Finally, I worry the criticism is getting to him. He has a vacant look in his eyes and his comments about "air yards" clearly show he's reading the critiques about him not being able to get the ball down field. We already knew this based on his specialized arm workout in the offseason.

I truly hope these first two games are an aberration. My gut tells me they aren't.

Best case scenario, he can at least get back to last year's form. It's not good enough to go deep in the playoffs but he can still go out with his head held high.

It wasn't just his character and leadership on the team that took a hit when he caved to the pressure, it was his political aspirations after football that took a hit too. He's not seen as a guy who stands by his beliefs, he's seen as someone who will cave. It sucks to see someone fall so far in such a short amount of time.

I know I'll get the clowns and dead falcons for this, but you can't over look what has happened to him over the last year on and off the field. It doesn't come without a price.

dutar76

4th Year Vet
Reaction score
I think every one of the points in the OP are legit, and cumulatively, all of it has got to be wearing on Drew.

I think the biggest issue, which the OP pointed out, is the weird offseason. We've heard many many times
that Drew has a system for everything. Offseason, in-season, OTA's, camp, and game week. Routines that
he hasn't deviated from in two decades. That kind of OCD-like personal planning is hard to break away from,
and he's been forced to do it all in ways that aren't part of his routines.

I can't believe that his accuracy and ball placement simply fell off a cliff over the summer. I think it's correct to
assume that the issue is more mental than physical. And I hope so. Because if it's mental, there's at least a
chance he can go back to being Drew Brees at some point this season. Kinda find the magic and get his mojo
back. If it's physical, then it is what it is.

Then there's also the possibility that he's just had a "meh" game followed by a "bad" game. That happens to
every player in every sport from time to time. If you think about it, how often do you have a "meh" day, and how
often do you have a "bad" day? For me, both happen quite often.

HoustonSaint68

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score

I really, really, really don't want this to be true.

But I really, really, really am afraid that it might be.

Of course, it is way too early to assert this as absolutely true, especially given this team's history of slow starts but this post sets out exactly my state of mind on the issue. I always felt that we'd have to sacrifice a year to honor Brees' legacy (rather than transition immediately when he faltered) and this might be it. I just hope it's not your nightmare scenario.

gregh

The Real Deal
Reaction score
right or wrong on both sides, i think the respect has been lost by everyone for each other. team is fractured. he should have retired

COACHTDL

Squad Leader
Reaction score
Drew has two issues he will not mentally get over. Number one, he had retired in his mind. He checked out. He was done. He then changed his mind. Second, the attack he received by his own teammates after making his statements about what the flag meant to him, his patriotism. He backed down and he now has been emasculated. These two psychological issues have completely destroyed his confidence. He is done. This is two straight games of crappy play in a row. This offseason ended his career.

fishing4food

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
On the flip side, SP runs a complex office and there hasn't been much time to practice and everyone is out of sync. It will come around. However, this has to be the last year of DB. Love him, but unless he turns things around then I hope to see him in Canton shortly. (Trying to stay positive here)

terrytogo

Whatever my peers call me
Reaction score
I'm afraid he'll force too many deep balls this next game to appease the media and fans, which will no doubt lead to tipped passes and ints. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe I am.

Saint Floyd

Who Dat
Reaction score
Jesus of Nazareth... it’s been TWO GAMES.

In one, we beat an NFC contender without any home field advantage.

In another, we lost a west coast game against an opponent that deserves credit for a solid game plan and execution. We also missed our star WR and starting DE.

Last season, we had very similar freak outs. Maybe it’s warranted this time. Maybe not. Either way, let’s get a sample size larger than 1/8 of the season prior to drawing broad conclusions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saints survive, Bucs cruise, Falcons blow lead (again); see where things stand after Week 7 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Deuuuuce Where does Michael Thomas rank amongst the greats Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 35
How would Drew Brees' (alleged) 'baller' condo at the Four Seasons Hotel look? Get a sneak preview Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees, Saints still have that two-minute-drill magic Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus WATCH: Baldy's Breakdowns highlights the Drew Brees leap vs. Carolina SR News Page Articles 0
Tom Brady, Drew Brees may pass the NFL TD pass record back and forth many times Saints RSS News Feeds 0
jasonsw Saints Drew Brees for MVP? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33
Dan in Lafayette Drew Brees excellent throughout, Marcus Davenport comes up with big sack in New Orleans Saints victory against Panthers SR News Page Articles 0
Tom Brady passes Drew Brees for NFL passing touchdowns record Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Tom Brady ties Drew Brees with his 558th career touchdown pass Saints RSS News Feeds 0
UFCSaint Drew's Eyes Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 17
Krodwhodat Do we make a trade for a FS to make a final run with Drew Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 28
Krodwhodat Drew Brees is a better QB with less talented receivers Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 38
Drew Brees, Alvin Kamara lead depleted Saints offense past Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saint Kamara Thank God for Drew Brees Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 27
Drew Brees' latest milestone? Saints QB the first in NFL history to hit 7K completions Saints RSS News Feeds 0
saintmike23 Saints That was the closest Drew Brees special ever! Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
The end of the QB era, Part 3: Drew Brees’ legacy Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Drew Brees reacts to New Orleans Saints vs Carolina Panthers Week 7, Teddy Bridgewater Is No-Problem SR News Page Articles 0
Saints QB Drew Brees teams up with LaToya Cantrell for new coronavirus PSA Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Tom Brady now one touchdown pass behind Drew Brees’ career record Saints RSS News Feeds 0
This won’t be popular [but draft Mac Jones to replace Drew] Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 63
Five things to know about Pelicans head coach Stan Van Gundy Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Pelicans name Stan Van Gundy head coach Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0