Where is Taysom Hill? Good runner in the first game, but seems to be a bust at TE. (1 Viewer)

Seems JJ has beaten out Taysom and Troutman for the TE#1 roll. Is Taysom hurt?
To answer your 2nd question… yes, kinda.
Taysom was limited in practice today.

Here’s my take.. PC is struggling to find a role for Taysom beyond the “QB Power”. Taysom hasn’t gotten open or hasn’t gotten the looks in the pass game, so an adjustment needs to be made.

Move Taysom to a full-time FB role. A finesse FB, that runs wheel routes, short outs and screens… and takes carries on occasion from the RB/FB spot and/or QB.
Taysom is a very capable blocker, but I don’t think he’ll hold up if he has to do it too much.

Payton was on Underhill’s podcast and he spoke of how an offense “evolves”… this is a step in the evolution of this offense.
IMO

Here’s my take.. PC is struggling to find a role for Taysom beyond the “QB Power”. Taysom hasn’t gotten open or hasn’t gotten the looks in the pass game, so an adjustment needs to be made.

Move Taysom to a full-time FB role. A finesse FB, that runs wheel routes, short outs and screens… and takes carries on occasion from the RB/FB spot and/or QB.
Taysom is a very capable blocker, but I don’t think he’ll hold up if he has to do it too much.

Payton was on Underhill’s podcast and he spoke of how an offense “evolves”… this is a step in the evolution of this offense.
IMO
You mean like an H back? I think that is an excellent idea, of balancing his production w/ keeping him healthy. He caught a screen pass in the pre season that went for some yardage.

IMO
That would be a good move. They could even do the old trick play where JW acts distracted and they direct snap to TH. Won't work more than a couple times but if done at the right place on the field could really work well.

I noticed that on the long run he was at about 3 quarters speed. Last year they wouldn’t have caught him
First thing I thought when that play happened. Even how he slowed down on the sideline to juke the defender. He didn't stick his foot in the ground. He looked tentative. I knew then that he isn't 100%, but he's doing what Taysom does. Giving you all he's got.

He had the fewest snaps of anyone on offense sunday. 6 snaps, and ran the ball 3 of those times. Need to get him in there more.

His usage depends on the gameplan. Trautman is the primo blocking TE, Juwan is Winston's favourite receiving TE/H-Back. Taysom gets sprinkled in for certain formations and plays as needed. I think his usage won't be consistent through this season, ebbing and flowing based on gameplan, opponent and situation.

TLDR; The people who only look at position stats will not be satisfied.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom