Where is the money coming from?! (1 Viewer)

SaintKenn

Wait till next year?
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So, we've signed Paul Kruger, who couldn't have came too cheap, Khalif Barnes, made a trade, and possibly looking to add some more lineman from the upcoming cuts...Has Drew re-signed and it just hasn't been announced yet? There is definitely some Loomising going on right now.

Did releasing Keenan Lewis open up any money?

Technically we haven't signed Kruger yet, we are "planning" to sign him. We have agreed on terms. I would expect to see a lot of moves later today money wise.

The Redskins are still paying Albert Haynesworth but that didn't stop them from signing Josh Norman.

I was at the facility yesterday and saw this in the lobby.

Attachments

• money-tree-11.jpg
    money-tree-11.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 75
They technically have 2.1mil available per top 51 rules (according to Sportrac), and the lowest contracts on the top 51 group are in the 500k range. in theory, his cap hit this year could be 2.5m, and team would still be under cap per top 51 rules. (one of the 500kish contracts would slide into deadzone)

Granted, when the roster trims to 53, they'll have to have everything worked out for all 53 players.

Hard to say how it really looks until his contract details come out.

Barnes was likely signed to a 1 year veteran minimum benefit deal. A new rule in the CBA allows for a team to only take a cap hit of a 2nd year minimum player ($525k this year) instead of the full salary. That would make his signing cap "neutral" since the bottom of the teams "top 51" list is at $525k.

I am by no means a cap guru, but I'm wondering if Kruger's signing and some of the other needs of the team that will need to be met will force the FO hand in cutting down to 2 QBs. According to Over The Cap, cutting Luke would be a savings of $1M this year and Grayson would be $500K+...assuming I'm looking at that right.

All we have to do is move money around with some of our contracts. That's where it's coming from, but there's no need to do it, until you have to.

I am by no means a cap guru, but I'm wondering if Kruger's signing and some of the other needs of the team that will need to be met will force the FO hand in cutting down to 2 QBs. According to Over The Cap, cutting Luke would be a savings of $1M this year and Grayson would be $500K+...assuming I'm looking at that right.

I would say anything can happen and not to look too deep into it. there will be a large amount of league transactions and cap/contract work happening this week, with a lot of numbers moving around, and we dont even know what Kruger's contract will look like until its signed and the information becomes available.

I'm not sure that cutting to 2 qb's will happen this year, but i also have no idea.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom