Where is the NFL headed? (1 Viewer)

cbord12

Veteran
Reaction score
Just thought I would pose a question to the SR community on their thoughts. Where do you see the NFL game going in the next 10 years and are you happy about that direction? IMO I do not like the direction the NFL is heading. Week after week the games are becoming uglier and uglier. Gone are the true downfield passing attacks for the most part, opting for the WR screens, end arounds, pick routes, and QB reads. To me the NFL is beocming more and more like the college product. To the likes of an offense like Georgia Techs pistol system. Maybe I am old, but I miss the early 00s game and the QB under center and a sophisticated offense being carried out on the field. Today its just Qb reads, scrambles, and downfield heaves on broken plays more often than not.

Anyway, I was interested in knowing if I am the only one here that feels this way.

Just thought I would pose a question to the SR community on their thoughts. Where do you see the NFL game going in the next 10 years and are you happy about that direction? IMO I do not like the direction the NFL is heading. Week after week the games are becoming uglier and uglier. Gone are the true downfield passing attacks for the most part, opting for the WR screens, end arounds, pick routes, and QB reads. To me the NFL is beocming more and more like the college product. To the likes of an offense like Georgia Techs pistol system. Maybe I am old, but I miss the early 00s game and the QB under center and a sophisticated offense being carried out on the field. Today its just Qb reads, scrambles, and downfield heaves on broken plays more often than not.

Anyway, I was interested in knowing if I am the only one here that feels this way.
Your beef is with the college/HS game that isn't trying to develop pro style QBs...they're just using the QBs athletic ability to out athlete everyone else to cheap Ws. Nobody wants to do the "hard work" anymore.

- which kinda explains our pursuit of Watson....we didn't want to do the work, just benefit off someones athletic ability

To me the style of play is not as important as the current state of officiating. The game has progressed/changed throughout its history (wing T, forward pass, shotgun, read option, etc) but the league (commi$$ioner, as driven by owner$) wants to control outcomes by refusing to utilize available technology for immediate, decisive confirmation of plays. In the name of "safety" the rules are tending to ultimately result in a product that resembles flag football. I forsee a future where QB's are untouchable.

To me the style of play is not as important as the current state of officiating. The game has progressed/changed throughout its history (wing T, forward pass, shotgun, read option, etc) but the league (commi$$ioner, as driven by owner$) wants to control outcomes by refusing to utilize available technology for immediate, decisive confirmation of plays. In the name of "safety" the rules are tending to ultimately result in a product that resembles flag football. I forsee a future where QB's are untouchable.
Totally agree. The officiating makes the game unwatchable for me. I don't really watch much NFL outside of the Saints. After many plays, especially passing where it's incomplete, you see both offensive and defensive players looking around for a flag. It's frustrating to watch.

Totally agree. The officiating makes the game unwatchable for me. I don't really watch much NFL outside of the Saints. After many plays, especially passing where it's incomplete, you see both offensive and defensive players looking around for a flag. It's frustrating to watch.
This is it for me too. I'm fine with the actual game play. But the flow of the game is constantly interrupted with bad/frustrating/unnecessary calls, TV timeouts, commercials, reviews, etc. Is there any other sport where referee calls have such an impact on the outcome of the game? I certainly can't think of any.

I was at a Saints game this season and there was an ugly series where there were flags thrown on a few plays in a row. Like an offsides on them, and then a pass interference on us and I notice that the fans were just cheering ref calls on back to back to back plays as if we were cheering for the refs and not the players on the field. It was just a bizarre thing to see. Just everyone in the Dome celebrating ticky tack calls and I just don't think it's good for the game.

It's all about the Benjamin's. League doesn't care about the players. The players are out there putting there bodies through Hell to make the big bucks. Look at all the injuries every week. The league is quick to fine a player for the dress code, yet where is the code for protective padding. Players are wearing spandex shorts with no padding at all on them, and tiny shoulder pads. Compare this to what they worn back in the 80's and 90's. Just my opinion.

It is starting to look like the owners are treating the NFL like Disney treats the Star Wars franchise. Squeeze every possible cent out and screw the fans and employees. It may work short term but is not good for the future. (see Nascar). I know my interest in the league is about 50% of what it was 5 years ago.

I think whatever ‘trend’ is going on, says a lot about whichever position group has the most holes
For awhile there was a dirty of LBs who could cover so TEs and slots were feasting
Now I think passblocking Oline is the hardest pressed (Oline as a whole but esp passblocking)

I agree on the quality of play but that's just one aspect.

-too much tinkering with rules
-officiating
-corrupt league office
-money grubbing (adding game 17...too much TNF...next expand playoffs?)
-commercials and delays on the broadcasts
-cheesy SB commercials and jump the shark halftime shows
-fantasy gamification
-COST...tickets...food...parking...getting out of reach for most really
-Related to cost, abandonment of "regular" fans in favor of corporate sponsorships, suite/"club" level focus

It all makes plenty of money and that's their goal. I'm getting too old and have too long a memory. None of above looks like a positive trend.

It's interesting. I was just thinking about this the other day after our loss to the Ravens. I don't know if it's just getting older, becoming bitter about how we've been screwed (specifically 2018), or what but the games don't hit the same way they used to. Part of that is sucking, I'm sure, but the product feels less... refined? I dunno. Used to be it always felt like NFL players were so monumental and iconic that no matter how old I was, it seemed like the players were ages older than me. Now, it feels like i'm watching a ton of super athletic kids. It's weird!

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom