Where was Tre'Quan? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Not a complaint, but I find my self wondering why Tre'Quan Smith was so uninvolved. He did not get a single look against the Bengals. Not one throw. I would think in a game in which we activated receiver from the practice squad he would be more utilized.

Every game has a game plan. Payton analyzes and dissects team defenses every week and we attack the weaknesses. You can’t guarantee anybody will be part of that plan (besides Brees haha). It’s just when you have the ability to beat teams in any conceivable way (and some inconceivable ways - see Taysom Hill) you tend to tailor the gameplan to attack your opponents weaknesses. We’re playing money ball...and it’s beautiful

He was probably out there blocking and decoying his arse off as per according to the game plan.

Don't worry............TreQuan is going to be a big part of the Saints offense for the rest of the season and hopefully for many years to come!!

Tre’quan was a starter on an offense that dominated like no other NFL team in week 10. Wherever he was and whatever he did, I have to suppose he did it well. What offensive play would you change??!?

Enjoy the receiver unit as a whole. Every week, we get threads nitpicking receivers who were not targeted as much in one game versus another. Alas, here are the snap counts at TE/WR.
  • WR Tre’Quan Smith, 51/75 (68%)
  • WR Michael Thomas, 46/75 (61%)
  • TE Josh Hill, 43/75 (57%)
  • WR Keith Kirkwood, 34/75 (45%)
  • TE Ben Watson, 28/75 (37%)
  • TE Dan Arnold, 27/75 (36%)
  • WR Austin Carr, 22/75 (29%)
What a wonderful unselfish unit.

Not a complaint, but I find my self wondering why Tre'Quan Smith was so uninvolved. He did not get a single look against the Bengals. Not one throw. I would think in a game in which we activated receiver from the practice squad he would be more utilized.
So if he had one throw and the Saints lost you’d feel better?
What weird priorities. Do you think Payton, in the middle of a game, starts to think to himself, “Gee, have I tried to get Tre’Quan the ball lately?” Unbelievable

Just like every week we have a negative thread after a win, there will always be a thread regarding a player that missing in the stats sheet. Smith did what he suppose to do. Beside Thomas, the running game was the more focal point of the game. We got Ingram more involve. Someone stats will be sacrificed. As far as I am concern, Smith had a great game and we won. That is what happened to Smith in the game.

He hasn't gotten the opportunities.

In 9 games, TQS has been targeted 20 times.

In 4 games, Ginn was targeted 22 times.

That tells me that either TQS isn't giving his QB the opportunity to get him the ball...or the Saints have changed their game plan...or a little of both. I think it's a little of both.

TQS is a rookie. Granted, he flashed playmaking ability in the pre-season, and has made a couple of plays in his limited targets. While we all want guys like him and Boston Scott to step right in, I don't think thats entirely fair. Not everyone is Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara.

The Saints also seem to have recommitted to running the ball more...so that would reduce some of the passing opportunities.

In the first 4 games of the year when Ginn was playing, Drew threw the ball 161 times....for an average of just over 40 attempts per game. Since then Drew has attempted 143 passes in his last 5 games. Thats almost 29 attempts per game. So this means that since TQS has kind of stepped in to the Ginn role, the Saints have averaged 11 less pass attempts per game, which would limit his opportunities. When you consider the offensive approach to throw less, while taking in to account that TQS a young guy who's still learning, it (his invisible man trick) isn't surprising. And lets not forget, he's playing in an offense with 2 touch mongers like AK and "Can't Guard Mike". Those guys are going to get theirs...and everyone else will fight for the scraps.

Last edited:
I really disagree with the direction of this thread. Smith did not catch a single pass but was on the field 68% of the snaps.

It is perfectly legitimate to ask why. “He was blocking” seems to be the answer, which if fine, but there was nothing wrong with the question.

There are no dumb questions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom