Where will Alec Ogletree fit in our defense? (1 Viewer)

For those of you who think we will draft an OT in the first round... remember, we can probably still re-sign Bushrod relatively inexpensively (don't think there will be a high demand for him on the open market), and Marcel Jones will be back from IR. Don't know, however, if Jones can effectively play LT.

I think his athleticism could be a really good fit for the new scheme. He could be a good pass rushing OLB. He has a ton of upside and I do see the possibility of him falling a bit. I think the Saints have a good chance of trading down and still grabbing him - and that's why I like him. I'd really rather have Ogletree and a 2nd rounder (via trade) than someone like Dion Jordan (who many think will fall to 15) and no 2nd rounder.

I'd rather take Ogletree at 15 and put him at ILB. I'm not too keen on Hawthorne in a 3-4, or at the very least starting

He's a nickel 3-4 ILB. He's 6'3" 232 lbs. That is an extremely small ILB. He is smaller than Vilma who I believe is undersized for the position. And even if he is capable of gaining 15lbs and somehow does not lose speed, he has trouble shedding blocks. I watched six UGA games this season paying attention primarily to Jarvus Jones and Alec Ogletree. A common theme was Ogletree being blocked by a FB/G and UGA being gashed up the middle against the run...with Jones running down field to get the tackle.

Ogletree a better prospect than Jones? Someone is on dope.

Ogletree wouldn't even be a good comparison to Martez Wilson. Wilson is a far better athlete. Wilson is taller and has about twenty pounds on him...while still being fast a lightning. I would say the better comparison would be Jonathon Castillas. Pretty good in coverage...not a bad tackler (when he is able to shed a block)...good athleticism...but is undersized for the position.

I think that Ogletree is NOT a 3-4 player. He is a 4-3 OLB...or 4-3 MLB in certain schemes (Tampa 2). Otherwise...he is going to have difficulty getting off blocks and actually being able to use his athleticism.

Well, for starters, Ogletree is one of the most athletic players in college football. He came to Georgia as a safety. He was moved to inside linebacker due to his dynamic playmaking abilities (from a quote from his defensive coordinator). He does have issues with second level blocks, but, with a decent line in front of him to occupy those offensive linemen, there will more than likely not be a defensive player in this draft who makes a bigger impact in the NFL. And, while he could probably line up at outside in the 3-4 and get to the quarterback faster than most, it is almost a waste of his abilities to limit him to that one task. He has the physical ability to cover any running back this side of Reggie Bush out of the backfield, and can run with any of the new breed of tight ends that are in vogue around the league. Playing him alongside Curtis Lofton would be an almost perfect situation, as their respective skills would complement each other nicely.

Grantham's quotes:
"A guy like him is going to be valued, because in that league, you've got to help your corners outside with the kind of wideouts that people have," Grantham said. "So if you help your corners outside, somebody's got to play one-on-one. You can't double everybody. And a guy like him can play some tight underneath coverage and take away the (Tony) Gonzalez, the (Kellen) Winslows -- those premier-type tight ends on the possession routes inside.

"He's got the ability to run things down and hit. He's physical. He's going to get bigger. He's a young player. He's a true junior, so the arrow is up on him and I think he's a real dynamic player."

"I think he's a special player there and that's one of the reasons we wanted to put him there, and I think his future's really bright because he's a young player at that position," Grantham said. "I wish him nothing but the best and know that he's a guy that can continue to improve and be a pretty dynamic player."

The tree would do on our d what he has always done- make plays! He does need to work on shedding blockers on the second level, but he is a converted s so he does have things to work on. Also remember though even missing 4 games he still lead a team of stud d players in tackles by more than 10 tackles. He does need to gain weight but only about 15 lbs, not 30 lbs like a 6'7" 230 lbs OLB people on here want. Anyone that thinks he is not physical enough need to watch tape on this kid. He hits hard and at 100 mph. He is the 7th ranked player on Kipers big board so there is no way he is a reach at 15. Hawthorne is a guess if he can play MLB in a 3-4 he has never done it. I would be happy to add a true playmaker with skins on the wall from a real football conference regardless of position, cause we have none right now!

Right now with the left tackle situation, I am thinking that Lane Johnson may be the pick.

However, if this is solved, I think the safest bets for us may be Vaccaro and Ogletree. I expect that there will be a high demand for rush linebackers and maybe Mingo and Jordan will be gone by the time we pick.

For what I have seen, Ogletree will be able to play the 4 linebacker positions. He can cover and he can rush. I was wondering where you think he will fit best if the saints considered him the best defensive player available by the time we pick.
this is a pretty good article on Ogletree

NFP takes a closer look at the character concerns surrounding Georgia LB Alec Ogletree.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom