Where will Alec Ogletree fit in our defense? (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Right now with the left tackle situation, I am thinking that Lane Johnson may be the pick.

However, if this is solved, I think the safest bets for us may be Vaccaro and Ogletree. I expect that there will be a high demand for rush linebackers and maybe Mingo and Jordan will be gone by the time we pick.

For what I have seen, Ogletree will be able to play the 4 linebacker positions. He can cover and he can rush. I was wondering where you think he will fit best if the saints considered him the best defensive player available by the time we pick.

I doubt we take a OT in the first. Havent done it in the SP era.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

For what it's worth, most of my co-workers are Georgia alum, and the consensus is that Alec Ogletree is the best UGA prospect coming out this year. Yes, over Jarvis Jones...

I watch a little college football and it does seem like Ogletree can do it all. If we picked him, I would probably put him at L-OLB behind the LDE (Cam Jordan). The reason being, he can cover tight ends and occasionally rush the QB. I don't know what the term is for this position, so don't shoot me.

Unless a highly rated OT falls to us, we will not go after one. This regime has shown the ability to find mid round studs for the o-line. I cant imagine Ogletree falling to us or making it past us.

Im on the Tree train :rasta: too and yes he can do it all. Dude can cover with the best of them I would love the pick.

If you do take a tackle , I hope its not Lane Johnson, but I don't think Sean Payton will draft an offensive player first and we have had great luck getting our OL later in the draft,

I was sure we would draft a DE in the 4-3, but now with the change I was thinking OLB with pass rush skills, but after the Ryan hire, I think we have an equal chance to take a CB.

and my favorite pick would be Xavier Rhodes.

Ogletree I think will go late in the first or second, depending on his 40 time, stupid, but you know that matters, and I have him being an inside lb, and they don't go in the 1st very often,

If you do take a tackle , I hope its not Lane Johnson, but I don't think Sean Payton will draft an offensive player first and we have had great luck getting our OL later in the draft,

I was sure we would draft a DE in the 4-3, but now with the change I was thinking OLB with pass rush skills, but after the Ryan hire, I think we have an equal chance to take a CB.

and my favorite pick would be Xavier Rhodes.

Ogletree I think will go late in the first or second, depending on his 40 time, stupid, but you know that matters, and I have him being an inside lb, and they don't go in the 1st very often,
ILB in a 3-4 or MLB in a 4-3?

Considering how good we've done with corners in the first (jenking, robinson..ugh) i wouldn't mind us taking ogletree at all.

When I see Ogletree I see a more polished Martez. Anyone else see that?

Ogletree would be a great pick IMO. I don't see how we could have both Lofton and Hawthorn (or even worst, Vilma) at ILB. We would get destroyed in the running game. We need to pair one of them with a bigger, longer ILB. Ogletree would be perfect..... However he has a couple red flags...

He's a nickel 3-4 ILB. He's 6'3" 232 lbs. That is an extremely small ILB. He is smaller than Vilma who I believe is undersized for the position. And even if he is capable of gaining 15lbs and somehow does not lose speed, he has trouble shedding blocks. I watched six UGA games this season paying attention primarily to Jarvus Jones and Alec Ogletree. A common theme was Ogletree being blocked by a FB/G and UGA being gashed up the middle against the run...with Jones running down field to get the tackle.

Ogletree a better prospect than Jones? Someone is on dope.

Ogletree wouldn't even be a good comparison to Martez Wilson. Wilson is a far better athlete. Wilson is taller and has about twenty pounds on him...while still being fast a lightning. I would say the better comparison would be Jonathon Castillas. Pretty good in coverage...not a bad tackler (when he is able to shed a block)...good athleticism...but is undersized for the position.

I think that Ogletree is NOT a 3-4 player. He is a 4-3 OLB...or 4-3 MLB in certain schemes (Tampa 2). Otherwise...he is going to have difficulty getting off blocks and actually being able to use his athleticism.

I agree with the shedding blocks part, but vilma is 6'0 or 6'1 and 230 pounds. So smaller than vilma, not really.

Keep in mind Ogletree was a SAFETY out of high school and uga moved him to MLB. If we take him I would see him fitting better there than olb.

I love "Tree" but I don't see him as a fit for us. He's great in coverage and super athletic, but he was out of place as an ILB in UGA's 3-4, and he's not big or stout enough at the POA to make it as a 3-4 OLB. He's a 4-3 MLB or OLB in my opinion. Not at #15, not for us.

I love "Tree" but I don't see him as a fit for us. He's great in coverage and super athletic, but he was out of place as an ILB in UGA's 3-4, and he's not big or stout enough at the POA to make it as a 3-4 OLB. He's a 4-3 MLB or OLB in my opinion. Not at #15, not for us.

I was thinking if he play outside, I find him in a way similar to Clay Mathews when he was coming out of USC, playing outside, covering, blitzing, etc. We had the same questions about where will be his ideal position in the pros, and frankly to me it was a surprise he was a rush end on a 3-4 (I should not have been so surprised by the way he played the elephant position with the trojans).

Right now Olectree may be 10-15 pounds lighter then the current Mathews, and I think he is a solid player. He may be less of a gamble then others that may be available at the time we pick.

I still think that the player with less questions at our pick may be Vaccaro, but it is too early to call.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom