Where will the Saints defense rank in 2019? (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
A. Top five
B. Top Ten
C. Middle of the Pack
D. Bottom of the League

Last edited:
By mid season this could be the first season in a very long time that we as fans are more concerned about the Saints offense than the Saints defense. I think it’s an easy top 12 defense with top 5 potential if Davenport takes a leap & Apple plays consistent football.

How many #2 WRs got deep on our defense last year? I know the first two weeks of the season DJax & Calloway ran right by the secondary multiple times. You can nix that with another top end edge rusher and a solid #2 CB.

The Saints' D finished 14th overall last season.

They signed players to replace Rankins and Onyemata (hopefully) for as long as they will be out. The secondary should be better with Eli Apple here for all of the offseason, Gardner-Johnson able to play multiple positions, and Patrick Robinson coming off injury. Linebacking should be better if for no other reason than having played together for an entire season last year.

I will be disappointed if they are not at least slightly better in 2019.

I think the overall yardage ranking might get slightly worse this year, but if it does, it will be because of the tougher schedule and the likely improvement of both Carolina's and Tampa's offenses from last year.

Newton's shoulder notwithstanding - if it is degenerative as I suspect from their drafting a QB this year, they could be worse. But otherwise having your starting QB all season will almost always help, even in his case.

Meanwhile Arians is a good offensive coach and should make them better to some extent.

I tend to not be as worried by this, DA will make good adjustments and the unit will put us in position to win, regardless of total yardage. And if they are really rolling by playoff time as Flash suggests, I'm good with that too.

A. Top five
B. Top Ten
C. Middle of the Pack
D. Bottom of the League

I'm going to mix it up a little but and say

Floor: Top 10

Ceiling: Top 5 or better

With us having kept our core guys in tact, and with most of them coming into there third and fourth years respectively. This is the time were they should gell the most. The chemistry should really pay dividends compared to other teams. Not only bc they have been together for a couple years, but because of the talent level of them as well. Not to mention the coaching staff as well.

Often overlooked is our coaching staff, and how elite they are as a unit. I honestly feel we have the best coaching staff in the league. Let's not overlook how important it is to have the consistency of a DC. Which is something that this team hasn't been able to say much in the Sean Payton ERA. It's rare to be able to go year to year with relatively the same staff and players. I know there have been a few additions and subtractions, but I feel that has only made us stronger as a collective unit.

They have already shown the last 2 years that they can keep up with the best of them. I think this is the year they put it all together and are consistently successful against the run and pass. Which in return would make us the most complete team in the NFL and the 2020 Superbowl Champions

Who Dat VS Everybody 2019-2020

Given the current talent n coaching, and provided they stay healthy, I’ll say around top 10.

But the play of the O n STs could also impact where the D ranks. If they play well, the D could move up. If they don’t play well, the D could move down.

But like the D, stayn relatively healthy will be key for them too!

Last edited:
Probably somewhere between B and C. Depends on if the secondary can step up.

If they do, we have the potential to be top 5.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom