Where's Black Lives Matter? (2 Viewers)

I think it is funny that people are so quick to dismiss his question.
Its not as if floods in U.S. history have been apolitical events where institutional racism, as well as other forms of racism, suddenly disappear.
The 1927 Mississippi River flood was a pivotal event in black America - bot h politically and socially. And we all have solid knowledge of Katrina's impact.
So you have massive flooding in a state with one of the largest black populations in the country and a group formed to address anti-black racism in the country is being questioned as to why it does not have an organized response. And people question the intelligence of such a question? Seems bizarre to lampoon the question.

Its not as if floods in U.S. history have been apolitical events where institutional racism, as well as other forms of racism, suddenly disappear.
The 1927 Mississippi River flood was a pivotal event in black America - bot h politically and socially. And we all have solid knowledge of Katrina's impact.
So you have massive flooding in a state with one of the largest black populations in the country and a group formed to address anti-black racism in the country is being questioned as to why it does not have an organized response. And people question the intelligence of such a question? Seems bizarre to question the question.

Have there been allegations of racist mistreatment during the Louisiana flooding for BLM to respond to, or are you suggesting that for whatever reason, they should preemptively involve themselves, as an expansion of their mission, in any and all disasters, natural or manmade, that might include among the victims, black people?

Where are the pro-lifers! Shame on dem ******** for not being in Baton Rouge right now! All lives matter, pro-lifers...not just the unborn ones! Where are they now that Baton Rouge needs them? Do they not care about the fetuses in Baton Rouge? Of course not! Doesn't fit their agenda.

Have there been allegations of racist mistreatment during the Louisiana flooding for BLM to respond to, or are you suggesting that for whatever reason, they should preemptively involve themselves, as an expansion of their mission, in any and all disasters, natural or manmade, that might include among the victims, black people?

A person with even the most rudimentary knowledge of black history in the US knows that floods in the South have always provoked accusations and evidence of racism against blacks.
So, given that:
1 - No, I don't think Black Lives Matter should preemptively involve themselves in any disaster that might affect black people. But a flood affecting hundreds of thousands, if not well over a million, of people in a state that has the second or third highest concentration of black people in the country is a little different;
2 - BLM might be there for all I know or for all this guy on the video knows. BLM out there helping people is not exactly a sensationalistic story, so it is very possible they are there in numbers and it is just not being reported.

A person with even the most rudimentary knowledge of black history in the US knows that floods in the South have always provoked accusations and evidence of racism against blacks.
So:
1 - No, I don't think Black Lives Matter should preemptively involve themselves in any disaster that might affect black people. But a flood affecting hundreds of thousands, if not well over a million, of people in a state that has the second or third highest concentration of black people in the country is a little different;
2 - BLM might be there for all I know or for all this guy on the video knows. BLM out there helping people is not exactly a sensationalistic story, so it is very possible they are there in numbers and it is just not being reported.

Shouldn't it be entirely up to the BLM movement how, when, and why they use their resources and stage, and that if they don't choose to include in their advocacy and outreach, times of natural disaster, that shouldn't undermine their efforts elsewhere?

And when you get down to it, that's exactly the sort of criticism they are facing here; that they must not be genuine in their efforts because those efforts don't extend as far as their critics believe they should.

The guy in the video is certainly free to start his own group with its own mission that can include a first-responder initiative if he thinks that is a void that needs to be filled. If a church works tirelessly to maintain a food pantry to combat hunger in their community, are those efforts deserving of criticism because they don't also work to alleviate homelessness, since those issues can overlap?

This tread and the OP:

:elefant:

PS - Did it really take this long for the pink elephant to come out? SR, y'all disappoint me.

Shouldn't it be entirely up to the BLM movement how, when, and why they use their resources and stage, and that if they don't choose to include in their advocacy and outreach, times of natural disaster, that shouldn't undermine their efforts elsewhere?
Of course they are free to determine their use of resources. But they are also subject to criticism of such use as well.

The response to the video in this thread is ridiculous. I mean you asked "Where is NASA" - are you kidding me?
That is my main problem - the responses to his question. his question is not nearly as ridiculous as the responses - as if BLM is some group above reproach.

That is not why Black Live Matter was formed.

Where they formed to provide flood/disaster relief in black neighborhoods? :idunno:

Because otherwise, I fail to see the point of the video, the OP, this thread and your post.

So you have massive flooding in a state with one of the largest black populations in the country and a group formed to address anti-black racism in the country is being questioned as to why it does not have an organized response. And people question the intelligence of such a question? Seems bizarre to lampoon the question.

Is anybody claiming racism with these floods?

Those cries where for other reasons that involved decision (or lack of action in Katrina) by government officials. Some proved to be valid and others have not. But I see no similar claims concerning this flood.

Where they formed to provide flood/disaster relief in black neighborhoods?

Because otherwise, I fail to see the point of the video, the OP, this thread and your post.

Is anybody claiming racism with these floods?

Those cries where for other reasons that involved decision (or lack of action in Katrina) by government officials. Some proved to be valid and others have not. But I see no similar claims concerning this flood.

Is every shooting of a black person by a law enforcement officer or non-black prima-facie evidence of anti-black discrimination? I would answer "of course not." But there is enough historical evidence to make the case that we should be on guard for it.
Cannot the same be said for widespread flooding in the deep south?

As far as helping with food and water, etc. - is that not one of the primary purposes of the Black Panthers?

Is every shooting of a black person by a law enforcement officer or non-black prima-facie evidence of anti-black discrimination? I would answer "of course not." But there is enough historical evidence to make the case that we should be on guard for it.
Cannot the same be said for widespread flooding in the deep south?

As far as helping with food and water, etc. - is that not one of the primary purposes of the Black Panthers?

I suppose you feel the same way about the NAACP then. We should also be questioning why they aren't there.

Also, during Katrina, the government confiscated some people's firearms didn't they? Shouldn't the NRA be there defending the second amendment?

I suppose you feel the same way about the NAACP then. We should also be questioning why they aren't there.

Also, during Katrina, the government confiscated some people's firearms didn't they? Shouldn't the NRA be there defending the second amendment?

Given the absurdity of singling out BLM, I suppose we should question why any number of agencies and organizations aren't there.

Except NASA. #NeverNASA

The NAACP is there helping.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom