Where's the running game??? (1 Viewer)

NorfolkedSaint

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We have a top ten offense (based on ESPN.com stats) which is great but 2/3 of it is from the passing game. Our running games is less than a 100 per.

Why???

Is our line really that BAD at run blocking??? Or is it lingering injuries to our top 2 RBs??? I know Reggie is a rookie and still needs to learn how to hit the hole but is Deuce really hurting this badly that he can't produce like has before??? Maybe it was the defenses we faced lately but I just don't fear the Bucs' D like I used to.

Our running game definitely needs to step it up or teams will be able to easily stop our one-dimensional offense...especailly good teams like the giants, falcons etc...Namely teams that we could easily face in the playoffs IF we make it there. Face it any team with a good D will have it's way with us, just look at the Ravens and Panthers.

Oakland Raiders made it to the Superbowl as a passing team. I'll take that anyday!

The Bucs decided to try to take away the run. And did. But that just opens up our passing game. See our passing stats. One of the advantages of a balanced team.

Against the Ravens, we fell behind early and had to pass to catch up.

I'm not ready to think that we no longer have a running game. If any team tries to play a balanced D or tries to take away the passing game, I think that you'll see the running game re-emerge.

Payton takes what the other teams gives him.

JMO.

Duece managed to have a couple 100yrd games with these guys blocking so I dont think its the blocking, cause reggie just doesnt hit the holes that are there and Duece is way bigger than reggie but he can manage to find them, and even got a 57yrd run going threw the holes the O-line creates, I think other teams play the run well against us...but they dont play the pass very well against us...but I think it was a choice and has been a choice of Coach Payton to stick with the pass simply because we get better results, we can run (pass) out the clock using the pass or we can get a quick score using the pass..but he needs to get outa that he is getting the Mike Martz or Andy Reid ratio 75/25 run pass ratio...we can run it, it just seems Payton finds to man flaws in teams defense to not pass it.

We have a top ten offense (based on ESPN.com stats) which is great but 2/3 of it is from the passing game. Our running games is less than a 100 per.

Why???

Is our line really that BAD at run blocking??? Or is it lingering injuries to our top 2 RBs??? I know Reggie is a rookie and still needs to learn how to hit the hole but is Deuce really hurting this badly that he can't produce like has before??? Maybe it was the defenses we faced lately but I just don't fear the Bucs' D like I used to.

Our running game definitely needs to step it up or teams will be able to easily stop our one-dimensional offense...especailly good teams like the giants, falcons etc...Namely teams that we could easily face in the playoffs IF we make it there. Face it any team with a good D will have it's way with us, just look at the Ravens and Panthers.

I share the same concerns. I don't think Deuce or Bush are 100%, and Reggie seems to be getting frustrated and is pressing as a runner.

We may not be road graders on the OL, but they can do a decent job. Early in the season we were running the ball OK. Not running roughshod but we were productive. Before Deuce got a little gimpy again he was nreaking big gainers.

Reggie was getting a few here and there.

I'm more of the opinion that they are more hobbled than they are letting on. Deuce is running North South almost strictly and seem unable to cut. Reggie's got an ankle problem and is just dancing too much. There is some daylight but he is not finding it.

I just hope they can get healthy again because that is the key to making some noise in the post-season.

I certainly wouldn't call the loss to the Panthers as them "having thier way with us"....

with that said they do need to practice the run game....

I just think that any good defense can really hurt us. I know i'm not splitting the atom here but if you have defense that can defend the run and the pass like the Giants for example, it will really hinder us b/c of our running game not really living up to its expectations. More importantly a team with a good secondary will REALLY hurt us even more if we are unable to run it effectively. Hopefully it's not b/c of injuries and the backs are just having a couple of bad games so we'll see.

Payton said it in his post game comments. He's not going to "beat his head against the wall". It was obvious that the Bucs were out to stop the running game. Across the NFL, almost every team has the defensive philosophy of stopping the run and making the team beat you through the air. So it's not unusual. Some coaches stick to it to their detriment. Payton seems to not be in that mindset.

They've run the ball when they can. When the other team is giving the Saints the run game, they take it. Payton seems to excel at taking what the opposing defense gives him.

I don't think there's a problem with the running game. I think that Payton changes his gameplan during the game to stick with what's working. And the passing game has been working. I don't think Payton is like Martz or Reid who seem to favor the passing game from a mindset standpoint. Payton seems to favor a balance, but he does seem to be showing himself smart enough that if something works, he sticks with it until the other team stops it.

tell ya what, i think Payton is going to become one of the better coaches in the league, and you have to bear in mind his game planning is limited to what he has to work with. this is a growing team folks, (aside from horn, deuce) this team is doing outstanding considering all the changes that occurred in the offseason.

as far as the running game specifically, i am not so sure deuce is really that good a compliment to reggie or vice-versa. ideally, paired with reggie would be a true north-south back and i'm sorry but without blocks set up deuce just gets taken down.- when that happens its basically a loss of down or minimal yardage. since our Oline is less than, it makes sense to back off of the running game to some degree, at least in the areas where we need marked improvement and/or are basically inaffective.

Ray Rice is a great all around back. He piled up the yardage vs some less than talent early in the schedule (similar to Deuce/Saints easy schedule in Deuces big year).
Lots have him as a heismann candidate. but i think that maybe he's not a true elite back. Lets see how Ray Rice does vs WV.

i am not so sure deuce is really that good a compliment to reggie or vice-versa. QUOTE]

I agree!

Deuce needs touches to get to his maximum performance, while you have Reggie who you want to get the ball because of his natural abilities. So, basically you have to knowingly sacrifice some early runs to Deuce while taking the ball out of not only Bush's hands, but Brees, Colston and Horn all of whom can take it to the house at any time. You can see why that would be hard for an ofensive play-caller.

I think Coach needs to make a descision, either you take Reggie and use him primarily as a WR and just to spell Deuce or you need to swallow the pill give Reggie the ball and make Deuce your short yardage back ala Bettis. i think he's doing both a disservice to both because I don't think either are being given a fair shake to establish a rythym with their OL.

We will continue to waver in mediocrity with our running game until Coach decides.

I think the smartest thing to do is give Reggie 5-8 carries a game for awhile, give Deuce 20+, and on other plays have both in the backfield and motion Reggie out to the slot. So if we run that way, a LB is matched up on Reggie, leaving 1 less LB in the box, and if we pass that way, Reggie is on a LB. Also, all of Reggie's carries should be with Deuce on the field so they never know A) which will get the ball and B) whether it's a run or pass. I would also motion Deuce out to get rid of 1 LB so for running Reggie has 1 less defender and for passing another RB vs. LB setup with the potential for Reggie coming out of the backfield.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom