Whether it's this year or another year, what compensation would you want for Sean Payton to go to Dallas or another team? (1 Viewer)

Ideally?

I don’t want any… I want Payton to stay retired
Not me, I'd rather get something out of Payton leaving if we can. Hell, go coach Dallas now and get 2 first rounders and a solid player. There's really not a lot of other ways to get that kind of value.

That said, I don't see Payton doing that. Maybe he likes tweaking Cowboys fans. :hihi:

I think he goes for cheap. Gayle is as soft as can be for an NFL owner. For all the control she gave Sean, her unwillingness to publicly shame the NFL about opponents being least penalized every year she has owned the franchise is partly the reason Sean bailed.

“Lack of juice” is apparently Sean’s quote that the media is using to describe the Saints. Sean left because he’s tired of Louisiana and wants the edge that a marquee franchise delivers.
I can see that potentially being the case, CSP loves Gayle and Tom, but he needs a "killer" in the owners booth that wouldn't take the turd sandwich they were being served up...but where is this "Lack of Juice" quote coming from?

My starting offer is:

2023 1st
2024 1st
Micah Parsons
Ceedee Lamb

Now, realistically, at this point, Parsons value probably equates to two 1st round picks and more than likely they deem him untouchable, which is fine. I then move the offer to:

2023 1st
2024 1st
Diggs
Lamb

I play hardball on this offer. For me, Lamb is a must include. I can hassle over Diggs but if he is removed, I get more picks.

Final accepted offer:

Ceedee Lamb
2023 1st, 2nd
2024 1st, 2nd
5 million cash
I'm with this except Diggs is one of the worst corners in the NFL in coverage and people gloss over it because INTs.

I'm with this except Diggs is one of the worst corners in the NFL in coverage and people gloss over it because INTs.
Yeah, he's certainly not a lock down corner like Latt or others like that. He's boom or bust too often. That said, there's a lot to like about him and would do well in our defense.

I can see that potentially being the case, CSP loves Gayle and Tom, but he needs a "killer" in the owners booth that wouldn't take the turd sandwich they were being served up...but where is this "Lack of Juice" quote coming from?
It’s not something you’re going to see Sean say publicly, much of the NFL shows this morning we’re using this terminology is describing their conversations with Sean. Following is close to direct quote related to OBJ recruitment from Sean.

Sean wants to work for a franchise that won’t have the limitations of our region.

Juice

Yes I’d like to see that too. The quote. I can sure believe it tho.

To start off Dallas 1st rd 2023 1st rd 2024 Dallas 2nd rd 2023 Dallas 3rd rd 2024. If Dallas were to make the SB in 2023 or 2024 Saints get Dallas 1st rd 2026 and Dallas 2nd rd 2026. Either way we get more if they attend SB in a time frame chosen between teams

You dont get 11 interceptions in the NFL by being one of the worst corners in the league. That's hyperbole. Turnovers are a premium in the NFL and affect wins and losses more than anything else and one guy stealing 11 possessions can't be glossed over.

That being said, he does have flaws, significant ones, but they are things that can be coached up. What can't be coached up, or is harder to teach, is ball skills, size and speed. And he has that in spades. I'm not advocating for him but I'm not turning down a legit, 23 year old pro bowl/all pro caliber corner if he is available. That's crazy. He's boom or bust. You just tighten up the mechanics and get the bust out of his game.

His coverage skills are awful. That's backed up by stats compiled against him. Dude gave up more yardage than Jason David. I would take Parsons over him in a heartbeat.

His coverage skills are awful. That's backed up by stats compiled against him. Dude gave up more yardage than Jason David. I would take Parsons over him in a heartbeat.

I think pretty much everyone would take Parsons over Diggs at this point. Parsons is going to be a one in a generation type player if he keeps at it.

One 1st round pick for every 10 win season, plus one 2nd round pick for every NFC South title.

That would be 9 1st round picks and 7 2nd round picks over the next 9 years of the team that Sean Payton goes to.

Something better than the Bruce Arians deal. Lol

If someone like Dallas makes a move for Coach Payton, then you can forget about getting any impact players from their active roster. It would defeat the purpose of them making such an investment in a coach under contract elsewhere.

My first demand would be three 1st round picks and three 2nd round picks. Once you don't get that, you can start negotiating; however, I wouldn't accept a lot less than two 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders.

He can’t wait out the contract.
I'm not sure that's how that works:

Sean Payton contract details​

Payton signed a contract with the Saints in 2019 that made him one of the highest-paid coaches in the NFL. It was a five-year pact that paid him roughly $9 million annually. He made it through just two of those seasons before opting to step away.

However, Payton will still be under contract for the next three years despite leaving. As such, if he wants to return to the NFL in 2023, the Saints will still own his rights for at least another season.

What does that mean? A team would have to compensate the Saints to hire Payton, per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

That may not necessarily be a dealbreaker for a team looking to hire Payton, but it would certainly complicate the matter. NFL teams don't like giving up draft capital even for proven resources. However, teams have swapped high-priced resources more in recent offseasons, so perhaps if a team viewed Payton as enough of a difference-maker, it could pursue him.

Payton's contract won't run out until after the 2024 season, so this issue will be there if any team wants to hire Payton over the next three years.

For reference: Two first-round picks; two second-round picks; $8 million cash is what the Raiders got for John Gruden.

I'll use Dallas for my example and y'all can use a different team if y'all want or same team but different trade.
But I want the following:

1st round pick
2nd round picks from 2022 and 2023
A WR
Eat $20 million of our cap if there's a way to do that? If not then add in another 1st round pick whether its 2023 or 2024
2 1st
2 2nd
$12mm

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom