Which 1st rd QB do you think Saints scouting department has honed in on? (1 Viewer)

Which 1st QB do you think the Saints scouting department has honed in on?

• Matt Corral

Votes: 32 40.0%
  • Kenny Pickett

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Malik Willis

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Desmond Ridder

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • Sam Howell

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Carson Strong

Votes: 9 11.3%

• Total voters

Big Up Bush

Super Bowl Bound
Reaction score
I personally really like Matt Corral, Desmond Ridder, and Malik Willis. I think the Saints will ultimately land somewhere in the 15th to 18th range for their pick which would most likely put them out of reach of Corral and Willis. Ridder could there but might not be seen as the best value pick. What do y’all think?
We should 100% not draft a QB in the first round. Period. We need to get a veteran QB worth a darn that can pilot a ship ready to win. We’ll need to shed a few large contracts and draft to fill those positions instead. I think that can happen on defense. We should probably also try to get value for Michael Thomas. Keep Kamara, Hill, and Book, draft WR, OL, DL, TE. Maybe secondary. But by god get Russ.

Reaction score
We should 100% not draft a QB in the first round. Period. We need to get a veteran QB worth a darn that can pilot a ship ready to win. We’ll need to shed a few large contracts and draft to fill those positions instead. I think that can happen on defense. We should probably also try to get value for Michael Thomas. Keep Kamara, Hill, and Book, draft WR, OL, DL, TE. Maybe secondary. But by god get Russ.
Unless Winston is not ready, I don’t think they bring in another QB.

liveoakh

Rookie
Reaction score
If that were really the case, Payton and company would have never put in the time with him. Think about it. Why bring in a guy and give him the starting job if he doesn’t “fit your system” as you say?
What time invested? Winston was on his second one yr deal. All we had was Trevor, Book and Taysom on the roster.

Treybad

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I dont see any of those worthy of first round caliber Ridder kinda reminds me of what Patrick Mahommes does.... but I think he throws more intermediate routes instead of the deep routes seems Mahommes is always buying time scrambling to hit a deep route....

Reaction score
What time invested? Winston was on his second one yr deal. All we had was Trevor, Book and Taysom on the roster.
The time behind Brees and this year up until he got hurt. You guys only see what you want to see to support your own narratives. Biased assessments.

NeverGiveUP2

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Saints will have a top 10 pick this draft. If Payton does not draft his next QB in this draft, it tells me more about him then I ever thought. He got lucky with Brees and does poorly in evaluating college QB talent.

Rest assure, he will draft another Ohio St. player and more players from out west and will forgo any players from the SEC. It is getting old, especially when you see Bellichick year in, year out, picking players from Bama and the SEC in general. Coral is right under his nose and he’ll pick some linemen from BFE university and give up 2 #1’s to get him.
Yeah that QB that KC jumped in front of us to draft would have been another blunder by SP

liveoakh

Rookie
Reaction score
The time behind Brees and this year up until he got hurt. You guys only see what you want to see to support your own narratives. Biased assessments.
Well tell me this if Sean invested as you say, Why was Winston signed to two 1 yr deals in a row. So, tell why Jameis would want to come back here to compete for the job with the same QB groupings he he just beat out to become the starter?
And regarding TS throwing for so many times, he dropped back to pass either at or over 20 times in the 4th quarter alone. Why? We were down 3 scores. That had nothing to do with Coach trusting him at all.
What are you talking about? We were not down 3 scores in the Tampa game. He trusted Trevor to do more. I can't recall Jameis ever killing plays and changing plays at the line. He had Trevor throwing it on 4th down. Multiple targets in the red zone. Those are all levels of trust in his system, that Jameis never had with Sean.

Reaction score
Well tell me this if Sean invested as you say, Why was Winston signed to two 1 yr deals in a row. So, tell why Jameis would want to come back here to compete for the job with the same QB groupings he he just beat out to become the starter?

What are you talking about? We were not down 3 scores in the Tampa game. He trusted Trevor to do more. I can't recall Jameis ever killing plays and changing plays at the line. He had Trevor throwing it on 4th down. Multiple targets in the red zone. Those are all levels of trust in his system, that Jameis never had with Sean.
Jameis was only down multiple scores where he had to throw more in just two games, so Payton didn’t have to pass so much to try to catch up. Wasn’t about trust.

liveoakh

Rookie
Reaction score
Jameis was only down multiple scores where he had to throw more in just two games, so Payton didn’t have to pass so much to try to catch up. Wasn’t about trust.
Trevor was killing plays at the line, and changing the play in his first start. Jameis, and Taysom were never allowed to do anything like that. That is trust! That is why Jameis dosn't fit Sean's system, and Trevor does. Jameis is a better QB than Trevor is........by far. If Sean wanted Jameis to be the QB in 2022, why is he the only QB on the roster without a contract?

jahsoul357

VIP Contributor
Reaction score

What am I talking about? You brought up the Atlanta game. We were down THREE scores in the 4th. He dropped back to pass over 20 times in a single quarter. So in that game, he averaged 7 passes a quarter and then aired it out when we only had 6 points going into the 4th. You are bringing up a Tampa game like that was in the conversation. And even if this is the case, all killing and changing plays, throwing on 4th down, and multiple targets in the red zone has gotten us was a bunch of garbage time stats and Ls.

Reaction score
Trevor was killing plays at the line, and changing the play in his first start. Jameis, and Taysom were never allowed to do anything like that. That is trust! That is why Jameis dosn't fit Sean's system, and Trevor does. Jameis is a better QB than Trevor is........by far. If Sean wanted Jameis to be the QB in 2022, why is he the only QB on the roster without a contract?
How do you know they were not allowed to do this?

liveoakh

Rookie
Reaction score
How do you know they were not allowed to do this?
Well, because it is either they were not allowed or they can't read defenses. But, the fact remains they never did. Trevor did it in his first 2 games. The only QBs I have seen here, yell "kill' "kill" kill at the line was Drew and Trevor. It was kind of hard to miss.

Reaction score
Agree 100%. This looks like a weak year for quarterbacks prospects. Our most realistic and probably best option is to resign Winston. We can dream about Wilson and Rogers but in reality, we could never afford them without gutting half our roster. To me, Winston is the most responsible choice.
The issue I see with this is Winston already took his cheaper contracts to stay with the Saints. Now that he was named the starter, I think he's going to want a multi-year mid range money deal in order to stay. There's a lot of teams out there that need a QB, which in my opinion will pay more than what the Saints want to pay.

There is a very real chance that Winston is gone after this year, and IMO giving up multiple first rounders to sign Wilson or Rogers would put the Saints right back to where they would be with Winston anyways. First or Second round exits for the next 3-5 years because you'll start to lack the influx of core young talent through the draft.

IMO, ride out next year with a cheap TS or TH or Book and evaluate again after next year. Unless they really like one of the guys in this draft of course. Which could be the case.

Reaction score
Well, because it is either they were not allowed or they can't read defenses. But, the fact remains they never did. Trevor did it in his first 2 games. The only QBs I have seen here, yell "kill' "kill" kill at the line was Drew and Trevor. It was kind of hard to miss.
I was thinking about the too, but Jameis did a lot on that too in his games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom