Which 1st rd QB do you think Saints scouting department has honed in on? (1 Viewer)

Which 1st QB do you think the Saints scouting department has honed in on?

• Matt Corral

Votes: 32 40.0%
  • Kenny Pickett

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Malik Willis

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Desmond Ridder

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • Sam Howell

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Carson Strong

Votes: 9 11.3%

• Total voters
Yep. Because Kamara played at UCLA I guess.

Belichick has a pretty bad history of drafting these last few years. And the saints ohio state players have been really solid. Not sure where you are going with this

The man picks the best player on his board who can help the saints. He doesn't keep a tab of SEC players that are listed "do not draft"

So did Mark Ingram. When will he ever pick a Bama player in the first round? Luckily Roman Harper apparently transferred to Ohio State before the draft.

Last edited:
Saints will have a top 10 pick this draft. If Payton does not draft his next QB in this draft, it tells me more about him then I ever thought. He got lucky with Brees and does poorly in evaluating college QB talent.

Maybe what it should tell you about him is that he knows how to grade QB talent and if he doesn't think any of the available QBs are worth a high pick, he's right? Brees isn't the only QB he has developed (e.g. Romo) and I bet if you ask Brees he will tell you that Payton helped take him from above average QB that his team drafted a replacement for to HoF QB. Also, he apparently tried to trade up to get Mac Jones this year but they couldn't get the deal done. And we all know he would have taken Mahommes had he fallen to the Lattimore spot.

The mock drafts at this time are worthless. However, it seems that they increasingly are showing more quarterbacks picks in the first round and more quarterbacks being picked high. Because the demand for quarterbacks is so great, there will be three or four quarterbacks who will go higher, perhaps much higher, than they are projected to go as of late November. I am not a fan of Willis, though San Francisco eight months ago mortgaged its future to pick Trey Lance. But watch how high Corral and Pickett move up in the mock drafts over the next few months and how high they are ultimately selected.

It's the Mitchell Trubrisky syndrome. Teams will wish cast QBs into the top of the first round that have no business being there due to an extreme need at the QB position.

We need a new approach to our cap without Brees. I’m not a fan of Jamis play this year but the money is right to get some other positions sorted and wait for our next franchise QB in the draft.

The same things I’m hearing this year are the same things people said about Mac Jones last year, who is on a 7 game winning streak and has a 94 rating as a rookie. Rarely do you get a 1st round QB prospect who looks “NFL ready” outside of the top 5. But you still have to take the shot at some point.

Or we can chase pipedreams like Russell Wilson and keep playing this game with Taysom.

Or you can sign Winston for 2 or 3 years and take a shot if the right QB falls to the 2nd or 3rd round. That way you aren't forcing a pick and you still have a starting QB with the potential to be very good while a young QB develops.

Conventional wisdom is that this is not a strong draft for qbs. Watching Mac Jones carve up Tennessee’s D right mow. Looks like Belichick found Brady’s replacement after stumbling around with a NFL retread in Newton. I suppose Brees could have been regarded as a retread when we picked him up. I don’t care how we do it, but we’ve got to find a true starting qb. It would be a lot cheaper to do through the draft.

I don't think Payton is ready to give up on Winston who was making excellent progress before the injury. I'd bet Winston, Book, and Hill will be the 2022 QB room. I think the Saints will target Defensive Tackles, Offensive Tackle/Guards, and Wide Receivers in the draft. They'll have 2-3 guys they'll fall in love with, move heaven and earth to get them, and use whatever picks are left on BPA.

I don't think Payton is ready to give up on Winston who was making excellent progress before the injury. I'd bet Winston, Book, and Hill will be the 2022 QB room. I think the Saints will target Defensive Tackles, Offensive Tackle/Guards, and Wide Receivers in the draft. They'll have 2-3 guys they'll fall in love with, move heaven and earth to get them, and use whatever picks are left on BPA.
I wouldn’t say Jameis was making excellent progress. He was taking care of the ball for the most part and had definitely brought the vertical game back to our offense. But he was subpar at the short passing/screen game and didn’t have much of an intermediate passing game. He was pretty good at scrambling, but I think sometimes he had to scramble b/c he was missing the early/hot read. He was not doing badly, but I didn’t see a lot of development to his game.

Probably none. I’d go WR in 1st round then CB with 2nd. This gives a #2 WR and #2 CB. Forget the free agency crap here. Always getting someone else’s castoff at an extremely high price that winds up getting hurt. Next best player to strength weak positions in backups the rest of the draft. Grow their own.

You don't waste a pick on a QB unless you're unhappy with the QBs you have on the roster...if you bring back JW on a 2-3 year deal...expect them to not take another QB unless he flames out.

He's only 27 going on 28...if he pans out that's your QB for the next 10 years.
And I'm of the opinion that drafted a QB is a wasted pick. Even though there are injuries, starting this season, we had 4 QBs and we went 4-2 with the person who was picked as starter. Here is something that actual evaluators of talent might look at that us simple fans might take for granted. Some might disregard what was done on the field but Jameis was Top 10 in most statistical categories before he went down. With the exception of yards (due to the lack of attempts) and completion percentage (even though he is top 3 in drop rate percentage and we ignore throwaways), he was top 10 and in a lot of categories top 5. And this is while playing with a rag tag receiver group while most of the league has a defined WR1 and WR2. And the crazy this is he was only getting better. We might not take stock into this insignificant detail but the fact that someone who was ragged for throwing interceptions had the highest TD to Interception rate when changing systems might be key to some evaluators, especially when the same QB lead the league in yards and 2nd in TDs that same season.

But he was subpar at the short passing/screen game and didn’t have much of an intermediate passing game. He was pretty good at scrambling, but I think sometimes he had to scramble b/c he was missing the early/hot read. He was not doing badly, but I didn’t see a lot of development to his game.
Not counting throwaways, he was 71% from behind the LOS to 10 yards and 63% on intermediate throws (10-19 yards), *shrugs*

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom