Which 1st rd QB do you think Saints scouting department has honed in on? (1 Viewer)

Which 1st QB do you think the Saints scouting department has honed in on?

• Matt Corral

Votes: 32 40.0%
  • Kenny Pickett

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • Malik Willis

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Desmond Ridder

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • Sam Howell

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Carson Strong

Votes: 9 11.3%

• Total voters
I wouldn't take any of those guys in the first round. This QB class is highly over rated.

I think you are a bit cavalier, about how Jameis doesn't measure up to a HOF QB w/ all the NFL passing records. Winston is a playoff QB w/ Sean today. You just don't see it. You are correct though, about Jameis not fitting our system. He has many hick ups to over come in our system. But, he is a playoff QB in a vertical system, given weapons.

Winston also only had two preseason games, after splitting much needed snaps w/ a QB who hasn't even played a down yet as QB1 or QB2. He beat GB and the Patts with out a kicker.
The million dollar question is how do we know that Jameis doesn't fit our system? Are we basing this on the fact that he had to, as you mentioned, split snaps in the preseason, playing with an injured line, and our group of WRs. Some of those hiccups are corrected in time but I think that since we've seen Drew play for so long, we have actually forgot how it looks for a new QB1 to learn the system and then have to learn it with our personnel. Brees never had the WR problem that Winston and Siemian had this year.

There's no point in taking any of them...roll with what you have and fix what's actually wrong w/ the offense.

Am I the only one who thinks QB1 isn't the problem?
I think most people, in their heart, know that QB1 isn't and was never the issue this year..lol

There's no point in taking any of them...roll with what you have and fix what's actually wrong w/ the offense.

No, you are not. A lot on here are with you, I believe. Thereā€™s some, however, that are so hellbent on seeing Hill that they refuse to see the team for what it is and want to blame Semien completely. No disrespect to any of them though. Just stating an opinion.

Last edited:
A few of them...

Pretty telling to see our scouts at all these games showcasing the potential talent at the QB position. As much as iā€™d love to see us some how land Wilson, AR12, Watson, etc., i seriously doubt that actually happens.

I wouldnt be surprised at all if we end up re-signing Jameis to another 1yr performance laden ā€œprove itā€ contract, draft a QB on Day 1/2 & have Taysom & Book round out the room. If that happens, weā€™ll have a stop gap in Jameis while the rookie QB learns the game. Book can develop into a high end QB2 & Tayom will do what Taysom already does.

As of now, the sky is seemingly falling on this season & though im still hoping for an epic turnaround & late season play off push, im painfully beginning to accept our fall from grace. That being said, im already looking forward to the offseason & ive all but embraced the notion of drafting in the top 15 somewhere.

The chances of moving up into the top 10 (if need be) & nabbing whoever our guy may be are way more realistic when weā€™re not trying to come up from the 20s. I personally think this coming offseason will be the very most important offseason since 2006. Maybe even more so, given the standards & expectations that the franchise has cultivated over the course of the Sean Payton era.

Im totally looking way to far ahead, but i cant help but be excited to see how we come back from this season.

I feel the same way. QB1 isn't the problem. Even with this WR group. We could put points up, as long as the O line could block. And the D could keep the score close.

The million dollar question is how do we know that Jameis doesn't fit our system? Are we basing this on the fact that he had to, as you mentioned, split snaps in the preseason, playing with an injured line, and our group of WRs. Some of those hiccups are corrected in time but I think that since we've seen Drew play for so long, we have actually forgot how it looks for a new QB1 to learn the system and then have to learn it with our personnel. Brees never had the WR problem that Winston and Siemian had this year.

I think most people, in their heart, know that QB1 isn't and was never the issue this year..lol
It is not like he doesn't work in our system, he just doesn't fit our system. Conversely, our system doesn't really fit Jamies. Sean was very reluctant to let Jameis throw the ball around, and throw many vertical routes. The long ball is Winston's jam, he is a top 5 long ball thrower now that he is not turning the ball over. Jamies hasn't really mastered the screen game. He is just isn't a west coast QB. Sean just showed more trust in Trevor to throw than Jamies. Trevor passed 45 times in the ATL game. Jamies never passed the ball more than 28 times, never let him kill plays and change the play at the line.

It is not like he doesn't work in our system, he just doesn't fit our system. Conversely, our system doesn't really fit Jamies. Sean was very reluctant to let Jameis throw the ball around, and throw many vertical routes. The long ball is Winston's jam, he is a top 5 long ball thrower now that he is not turning the ball over. Jamies hasn't really mastered the screen game. He is just isn't a west coast QB. Sean just showed more trust in Trevor to throw than Jamies. Trevor passed 45 times in the ATL game. Jamies never passed the ball more than 28 times, never let him kill plays and change the play at the line.
The long ball wasn't his jam until he got into the league; it was just a part of his game. Coming out of college, everything pointed to his strength being in a west coast offense. He didn't run a full vertical attack at FSU; it was a balance pro style offense that operated between 0-20. He hasn't mastered the screen pass but was (not counting throwaways) 71% throw behind the LOS to 10 yards. Did he play perfect? Crap no but that comes with time in the system and trust in your receivers. Talking about a West Coast Offense, do you know what is equally as important; the routes. The way routes are ran affects timing of plays as well.

And regarding TS throwing for so many times, he dropped back to pass either at or over 20 times in the 4th quarter alone. Why? We were down 3 scores. That had nothing to do with Coach trusting him at all.

Last edited:
You canā€™t expect him to do and master all that you mentioned in seven games and with a hamstrung offense. Come on man, be real.

The long ball wasn't his jam until he got into the league; it was just a part of his game. Coming out of college, everything pointed to his strength being in a west coast offense. He didn't run a full vertical attack at FSU; it was a balance pro style offense that operated between 0-20. He hasn't mastered the screen pass but was (not counting throwaways) 71% throw behind the LOS to 10 yards. Did he play perfect? Crap no but that comes with time in the system and trust in your receivers. Talking about a West Coast Offense, do you know what is equally as important; the routes. The way routes are ran affects timing of plays as well.

And regarding TS throwing for so many times, he dropped back to pass either at or over 20 times in the 4th quarter alone. Why? We were down 3 scores. That had nothing to do with Coach trusting him at all.
Coach letting Trevor throw had nothing to do with trust/lack of...we were at a point where we were left to fling sheet to see what stuck. Trevor isn't a long term answer, so bruising his ego w/ a pick 6 or two was inconsequential.

Coach letting Trevor throw had nothing to do with trust/lack of...we were at a point where we were left to fling sheet to see what stuck. Trevor isn't a long term answer, so bruising his ego w/ a pick 6 or two was inconsequential.
Trevor is the equivalent of a rented mule.

You canā€™t expect him to do and master all that you mentioned in seven games and with a hamstrung offense. Come on man, be real.
Sean is committed to running a west coast rhythm passing game. The best part of Winston's game is he is a great long ball vertical thrower. Jamies will find more success in a vertical scheme. The best way to explain this is Winston's game thrives in about 90% of the offensive schemes in the NFL. But, only 10% (if That) run some flavor of a west coast rhythm passing game. It is like us and the Patts run it. Conversely, Trevor, Book, Drew, Teddy, Romo are west coast QBs. so, The new non turnover Winston is more valuable to other teams, than us. We really don't have the money bid against teams with more money and need at QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom