NFL Draft Which 1st Rounder will beat expectations and which will fall short (1 Viewer)

Most likely to underwhelm: Ruggs - a handful of splash plays will likely be there, but he's not the complete receiver that his draft position suggests.

Most likely to exceed expectations: Jefferson - a more complete receiver who was drafted later in the round, with plenty of balls coming his way now that Diggs is in Buffalo.

Dark horse to meet expectations even though he was drafted to high: Damon Arnette - Okudah was largely avoided and Arnette saw a lot of balls come his way as a result. He's battle tested and scrappy, whereas I can see Okudah struggling a bit, at least initially.

Worst value FA signing: whomever ends up signing Cam Newton - he's just about done as a QB, but he probably won't sign on the cheap and when he is picked up there is guaranteed to be a hype train that never actually pulls into the station. (Honorable mention here for Andrus Peat, as much as I hate saying it :()

Best value FA signing: Chris Harris - he's only 30 and looks to have at least a couple of good seasons left. A two year deal for $17 at the CB position for a player of his caliber is a solid deal.

Dark horse solid FA signing: David Onyemata - I think he blows up this year, and $9M/season ends up looking like a bargain for an-upper tier player in his prime at a very important position. I expected to lose him this offseason.

Is there really such a thing as a first rounder beating expectations?
Patrick Mahommes has 100% exceeded expectations.
There may have been hopes he would develop into a top QB. But he wasn't expected to win a Superbowl and be league MVP in 2 years. There was plenty of hope, but none of the expectation Andrew Luck had going into his draft.

I'm not sure anyone had Aaron Donald as the best D line player, possibly ever, going into the draft. So he went in the middle of the first.

I think Justin Jefferson will surprise. A lot of targets went out the door with Diggs, Thielen will be double-teamed a lot. Jefferson is the type of receiver who can synch with Cousins and Jefferson is the most polished NFL ready receiver from the draft,

Yeah, by no means am I saying that the Bengals are going to win 8 games next year or whatever. They will be bad. But Burrow isn't going into a situation completely devoid of talent. He has some weapons and a good back to help carry the load. It's not like someone going into the situation in Washington last year with a washed up RB, a rookie WR1 (albeit a good one), and nothing else.

He's got enough around him to where it's not going to be a David Carr, Dwayne Haskins, Josh Rosen situation where their NFL career could be kneecapped almost immediately by a lack of talent around them. The Bengals organization is pretty terrible, but he's got more weapons than Tua (who should "redshirt" a year, but that's a whole different thread).

The thing that's going to get Burrow kneecapped in Cincinati is not a lack of talent at a few skill positions...............it's going to be the lack of skill on the offensive line and the 29th ranked defense in the NFL won't help much.

He'll be lucky if all he gets is kneecapped!!

I think Justin Jefferson will surprise. A lot of targets went out the door with Diggs, Thielen will be double-teamed a lot. Jefferson is the type of receiver who can synch with Cousins and Jefferson is the most polished NFL ready receiver from the draft,

Totally agree....I have a friend who is a Vikes fan, I texted him after the pick and told him that JJ is the most pro ready WR in the draft, he will make an immediate impact...

It was clear to me early on in the NC game Clemson's defensive game plan was to double JJ....at the expense of single covering the Belitnikoff winner on the other side....that is the ultimate show of respect by one of the best DC's in college football...of course, nothing could stop that offense....

Totally agree....I have a friend who is a Vikes fan, I texted him after the pick and told him that JJ is the most pro ready WR in the draft, he will make an immediate impact...

It was clear to me early on in the NC game Clemson's defensive game plan was to double JJ....at the expense of single covering the Belitnikoff winner on the other side....that is the ultimate show of respect by one of the best DC's in college football...of course, nothing could stop that offense....
So...... you admit to having a friend that's a Vikes fan. Security! Aisle 5.

So...... you admit to having a friend that's a Vikes fan. Security! Aisle 5.

Haha!!!! Shhh! I also have a friend (one of the nicest women I know) who is a ....gulp....Falcons fan....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom