NFL Draft Which 1st Rounder will beat expectations and which will fall short (1 Viewer)

My favourite player in the entire draft was Simmons. But I think he has a big chance of failing in Arizona, just because their expectations of him seem to be stratospheric.

i hope I'm wrong, and they lose to the Saints in the NFC Championship game. But could he be like the other first round tweener that wasn't a safety and wasn't a linebacker?

But at the end of the day, I was delighted he wasn't picked by Carolina. so now I can still root for the guy. Even more so if it annoys Panthers fans :)

I'm gonna take a shot and say neither OROY or DROY will be first rounders this season. That's my hot take.

This is definitely a long shot but if you nail it, you got some street cred. I think that the OROY will be tough given that the QBs with chances to start were all round 1, as are the WRs who landed in really good situations with pretty clear paths to big targets(Ruggs, Lamb, Aiyuk, Raegor).

I like Dobbins quite a bit in the Ravens system as your best shot to hit that prediction, but he's got a very good RB in Ingram already established there.

Man, Edwards-Helaire in KC, if he is the starter, is a perfect fit there, too. I totally forgot about him. He could be your OROY at pick 32.

To the thread, I'd say CEH or Ruggs to beat expectations, and Raegor to underperform them.

I think AJ Terrell gets toasted all season long and the Failclowns look like the morons they are for drafting him...

I think Cezar Ruiz is a rookie All-Pro at Center and is fantastic.

OROY - Laviska Shenault: Perfect fit for what Minshew does best, and he shines.

DROY - Jeff Okudah

As far as FAs go... I believe Tom Brady falls flat on his face in Tampa, and tarnishes his legacy by trying to hang on too long.

David Johnson bounces back in a big way for Houston and is more valuable for the Texans than Nuke Hopkins is for the Cards.

People are down on Reagor so he beats expectations. I don't think Aiyuk can live up to 1st round expectations in that offense so he falls short.

I'm not sure what the expectations are for each first-round pick, but I know Burrow is expected to hoist a franchise on his back and make them great. I think that's too tall an order for anybody so I'll say he will not live up to expectations. As far as exceeding them, I'll go with Jordyn Brooks. He was trashed in the Forum when linked to the Saints so I assume expectations are low.

Same question for free agent signings

Burrow will have hard time meeting expectations as a Bengal.
Tua will beat expectations or at least put his injury behind him.

Brady won't exactly stumble but the decline we saw last year won't be any better in Tampa.
If Juwan Johnson decides he really wants to be a footballer I think he might surprise us.

I think Burrow is in a lot better position than people think. He’s got a really good back in Joe Mixon. An ok pass catching back in Gio Bernard if he’s got anything left. He’s got one of the best receivers when healthy in AJ Green whose going to be fighting for another decent contract. He’s got Tyler Boyd whose a damn good #2 receiver on any team. They drafted Tee Higgins in the second round who will likely take AJ Green’s spot down the road. They still got the speed demon John Ross III who is still young enough to turn it around with some good QB play possibly. Auden Tate is a good 4th or 5th receiver and Alex Erickson had over 500 yards last year. He’s got talent to work with at receiver for sure

I wish they would of drafted Thad Moss though to give him a teammate since they don’t have much at tight end. You could of had him in the 7th, why not take one of Burrow’s pass receivers from college. But they drafted a tight end in the 2nd last year in Drew Sample. CJ Uzomah is a decent #2.

It depends on the offensive line play. Their 11th overall pick in 2019, left tackle Jonah Williams didn’t even play last year.

Last edited:
I think Burrow is in a lot better position than people think. He’s got a really good back in Joe Mixon. An ok pass catching back in Gio Bernard if he’s got anything left. He’s got one of the best receivers when healthy in AJ Green whose going to be fighting for another decent contract. He’s got Tyler Boyd whose a damn good #2 receiver on any team. They drafted Tee Higgins in the second round who will likely take AJ Green’s spot down the road. They still got the speed demon John Ross III who is still young enough to turn it around with some good QB play possibly. Auden Tate is a good 4th or 5th receiver and Alex Erickson had over 500 yards last year. He’s got talent to work with at receiver for sure

I wish they would of drafted Thad Moss though to give him a teammate since they don’t have much at tight end. You could of had him in the 7th, why not take one of Burrow’s pass receivers from college. But they drafted a tight end in the 2nd last year in Drew Sample. CJ Uzomah is a decent #2.

It depends on the offensive line play. Their 11th overall pick in 2019, left tackle Jonah Williams didn’t even play last year.

Yep. The Bengals aren't as talentless as people think. They need some line help, but there are some talented guys on that team.

Yep. The Bengals aren't as talentless as people think. They need some line help, but there are some talented guys on that team.

Burrow will have weapons, but he won't have what seemed like a dozen skill players at his disposal who are simply miles better than the guys they're lining up against, like he had at LSU last year. But who knows? I mean, college and pro football are different animals, but they're still football. Right now the Bengals don't look like much, but tell the truth... if anyone would've told you that out of nowhere, the 2019 LSU offense would break all-time records, would you have bought it? Me? No... as a lifelong LSU fan, it took me 10 games or so for me to finally believe what I was seeing.

Can that happen in the NFL? Well, Cam Newton and Matt Ryan won MVP's, Tony Romo became the highest paid announcer, the Los Vegas bookies have their own bonafide, honest engine, real NFL football team, Los Angeles actually signed all the required building permits to build a stadium in less than 10 years, the 49ers are actually good again, mid-tier QBs are turning down $100M guaranteed contracts, and the Browns went from a talentless laughing stock to an ultra-talented laughing stock in less than 2 seasons.

Anything can happen. Crazy sport.

I think WR gets OROY and my pick is CeeDee Lamb. The trio of Cooper, Gallup and Lamb for Dallas is formidable. Lamb will thrive.

DROY will be Isiah Simmons. I think his versatility gets him playing time. Of course Chase Young is hard to overlook.

I think that it's going to be a rough season for rookies.
No offseason workouts. No rookie minicamps.
Remains to be seen how training camp and regular season shapes up in the coronavirus era.

That highly favors the gym rats and workaholics like Burrow. If they can't outplay you, they will outwork you. Burrow will round up a playbook and few WR's, go to a gym somewhere, and get their timing down.

Burrow will have weapons, but he won't have what seemed like a dozen skill players at his disposal who are simply miles better than the guys they're lining up against, like he had at LSU last year. But who knows? I mean, college and pro football are different animals, but they're still football. Right now the Bengals don't look like much, but tell the truth... if anyone would've told you that out of nowhere, the 2019 LSU offense would break all-time records, would you have bought it? Me? No... as a lifelong LSU fan, it took me 10 games or so for me to finally believe what I was seeing.

Can that happen in the NFL? Well, Cam Newton and Matt Ryan won MVP's, Tony Romo became the highest paid announcer, the Los Vegas bookies have their own bonafide, honest engine, real NFL football team, Los Angeles actually signed all the required building permits to build a stadium in less than 10 years, the 49ers are actually good again, mid-tier QBs are turning down $100M guaranteed contracts, and the Browns went from a talentless laughing stock to an ultra-talented laughing stock in less than 2 seasons.

Anything can happen. Crazy sport.

Yeah, by no means am I saying that the Bengals are going to win 8 games next year or whatever. They will be bad. But Burrow isn't going into a situation completely devoid of talent. He has some weapons and a good back to help carry the load. It's not like someone going into the situation in Washington last year with a washed up RB, a rookie WR1 (albeit a good one), and nothing else.

He's got enough around him to where it's not going to be a David Carr, Dwayne Haskins, Josh Rosen situation where their NFL career could be kneecapped almost immediately by a lack of talent around them. The Bengals organization is pretty terrible, but he's got more weapons than Tua (who should "redshirt" a year, but that's a whole different thread).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom