Which 2nd/3rd round LB's best fit our scheme??? (1 Viewer)

Bak2ThaLab

draftaddict
Reaction score
part of my reasoning as to why we should go Ellis/best corner available/trade down in the first is b/c of the quality of lb's available in the second and third rounds. My question is with needs at both the will and mike position, which guy(s) best fit our defensive scheme???

ILB's (Curtis Lofton, Jerod Mayo, Philip Wheeler, Beau Bell, Jonathan Goff)

OLB's (Ali Highsmith, Erin Henderson, Xavier Adibi, Tavares Gooden)

Man if we could get a solid CB in the draft (DRC or Leodis... yes I'd take either of them at #10... screw "value"), and Lofton in the 2nd... fill holes in FA at DT (Corey Williams or Randy Starks), OLB (Demorrio Williams or Reggie Torbor - Briggs is too $$)... we'd have a solid defense.

Any with speed and tackling ability. Drafting Jenkins, Lofton, Moore, Adams and with Briggs and Starks in free agency would be a great offseason. It's very possible.

Lofton and Mayo would be nice in the middle because both of them just fly to the ball.

Highsmith would be nice on the weakside because he has the speed that we have been starving for.

part of my reasoning as to why we should go Ellis/best corner available/trade down in the first is b/c of the quality of lb's available in the second and third rounds. My question is with needs at both the will and mike position, which guy(s) best fit our defensive scheme???

ILB's (Curtis Lofton, Jerod Mayo, Philip Wheeler, Beau Bell, Jonathan Goff)

OLB's (Ali Highsmith, Erin Henderson, Xavier Adibi, Tavares Gooden)

Curtis Lofton plays with great instincts and is a play maker. may not be blazin fast but has the speed to get from side line to side line and makes up for his lack of speed with good angles to the ball. Very strong too at the point of attack and plays in the back field.

Jerod Mayo is a hard hitting LB that too plays in the back field but isn't as strong in coverage. I would be very happy with Mayo or Lofton with Lofton getting the nod however.

Highsmith and Henderson are almost identical. Both are more quick than fast but definitely doesn't keep them from playing at a high level. Smaller players that are destined fro WLB that will make impacts because they play fast, have very good athletic ability and intincts to play LB.

Adibi plays too high and is slow to re-act on plays which causes him to get caught up in traffic and taken out of the play.

If I were to rank them out of the players I would want it would be

Lofton- 2nd round
Highsmith- 2nd round
Mayo- 2nd/3rd round
Henderson- 2nd/3rd round

the others didn't impress me much after watching them play.

Curtis Lofton plays with great instincts and is a play maker. may not be blazin fast but has the speed to get from side line to side line and makes up for his lack of speed with good angles to the ball. Very strong too at the point of attack and plays in the back field.

Jerod Mayo is a hard hitting LB that too plays in the back field but isn't as strong in coverage. I would be very happy with Mayo or Lofton with Lofton getting the nod however.

Highsmith and Henderson are almost identical. Both are more quick than fast but definitely doesn't keep them from playing at a high level. Smaller players that are destined fro WLB that will make impacts because they play fast, have very good athletic ability and intincts to play LB.

Adibi plays too high and is slow to re-act on plays which causes him to get caught up in traffic and taken out of the play.

If I were to rank them out of the players I would want it would be

Lofton- 2nd round
Highsmith- 2nd round
Mayo- 2nd/3rd round
Henderson- 2nd/3rd round

the others didn't impress me much after watching them play.

I am not an Xavier Adibi fan either he doesn't attack the line enough for me. But I think that Lofton is going to answer questions about his speed at the combine. If he runs a 4.5 or 4.6 he will shoot up draft boards because it is hard to teach the instincts that he has.

I would add Michigan's Shawn Crable at OLB and J Leman of Illinois as an inside LB.
Both are sideline to sideline playmakers with good awareness and are sure tacklers.

I know someone else has been high on him (sorry, but the member's name escapes me---Canadian???) but Beau Bell is a guy who I would like to take a look at in the third. He is getting a lot of pub. in the Vegas area and he is getting a lot of hype...think Eric Wright without the USC transfer (in terms of hype). He is supposed to be a big hitter and a hard nosed throwback type of player. I have not seen him play, but from I am hearing locally , and they are pretty accurate from what I can tell, this kid is legit.

It's so hard to tell who to pick! So many guys have great highlight reels and look great on paper/stats. I haven't gone CRAZY on research yet, but my look so far has me thinking that if we pick decent in the second or third round we will get a decent LB. I think there are several good LBs in this years draft and I hope we get one... I also don't think that there are any "sure bet" LBs that we are going to know that he is the one we should get...

this is my hopes for the draft adn free agency

1st round: trade down to get a pick in the mid to late first round, and take Curtis Lofton
2nd round: Best CB available (Aqib Talib)
2nd round: Highsmith or Adibi
3rd round: Trevor Laws DT Notre Dame
4th round: Chevis Jackson CB LSU

Free Agency: Corey Williams

I know this is all defense but i really believe we need more playmakers and depth at LB, DT, and DB

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom