Which Celebrity or Athletes passing shocked/saddened you? (1 Viewer)

Definitely Neil Peart...knew his body was breaking down, but was totally caught off guard regarding the battle with brain cancer. Also saddened that he left behind his wife Carrie and their 11 year old daughter Olivia.

Kobe is up there. Only a casual basketball fan, and was never much of a Kobe fan. I think I'm most saddened for his wife and 3 children who suddenly lost a husband, father, daughter/sister and had to watch it all unfold via TMZ and social media. Also feel for the other families that suffered losses as well.

Walter Becker (Steely Dan). Saw them at UNO a couple of years ago (I believe it was their last time playing NOLA) and could tell he was not doing well, but he managed to make it through the show. Another tremendous musician taken from us way too soon.

Humboldt Broncos hockey team. Sixteen killed and thirteen injured after a horrific bus accident near Armley, Saskatchewan. Hits really close to home as my son's Jr Team (based in NJ) often travel by bus on the snowy, icy roads of NJ, NY, PA, MA and other parts of the NE. I always make sure to check in with him on travel days as those fears tend to creep into my mind.

Craig "Ironhead" Heyward. He was long gone from the Saints, but he also was taken from this planet way too soon.

Finally, Captain Kangaroo and Mr Hooper (Sesame Street). They were part of my childhood and I remember the somber episode of Sesame Street where everyone was trying to deal with Mr Hooper's passing.

Can someone start a happy thread at some point in the not too distant future?

thfe teebns in nightmaresom elm srteet, wgy couldn't they're just have done sa bunchif coke to stay awsake?

oh i forgot

andre the giant
mr perfect
ultimate warrior

to high to remember their real names

The list of wrestlers is way too long. A few more.

JYD
Macho Man
Pretty much the entire Von Erich family. They were more cursed than the Kennedys. Crazy.

I'm surprised Michael Jackson hasn't been mentioned yet. Same with Dale Earnhardt.

I've never gotten overly emotional with celebs passing, but I think Robin Williams hurt the most because I thought he had so much to offer and I really liked him as an entertainer.

He crossed my mind, for sure. But after “Finding Neverland,” I’ll never see him the same way.

True. I was a fan growing up, but he soured on me as I got older and the rumors and stories about how he related to kids was disturbing. Even considering all of that, his music in the 80s is still timeless. Just terrible for the victims that he went off on the deep end.

[MOD EDIT :nono: - SW ]

Sorry.....back on topic.....I agree with the above post, that family and friends always affect me more than famous folks that I do not know.

Prince was sad to me, because he was all alone in that humongous building, dying in a friggin' elevator.

Queen's death was horrible, because he was way too young with so much talent left unshared.

Kate Spade & Robin Williams both dying by hanging from a door, just does not make any sense, with the best in medical care available to them.

Oops!!! My bad. I had just heard that funny news, so I posted it. I should have posted without using a political name. Thanks to Guido for a great laugh though!!!

One more from me. I used to watch "Meet the Press" every Sunday morning. When Tim Russert died, it shocked and saddened me. He was such a good guy.

Watching the Winehouse documentary on Netflix was tough. Her talent was undeniable. Just sad that her life was cut short.

I loved her music.

A gifted writer and great singer.

She almost became like a daughter-figure to me if that makes sense.

I hated when people made fun of her when it was obvious she was suffering.

Apropos of the Chiefs being in the Super Bowl. Joe Delaney's death has always stuck with me and never fails to cause my eyes to water up. Joe Delaney died a hero. In a world of celebrity excess an self aggrandizement, Delaney was different, he would bring his paycheck home and hand it to his wife, saying "get something nice for you and the kids" When his wife would say "Don't you want any of the money?" Joe replied, "No, I have everything I need right here in you and the children"

"On June 29th, 1983 while attending a “Kids Day” in Monroe, Louisiana Joe would bravely meet his fate in a way that was unsurprising to all who knew him—in service to others. While playing softball, Joe overheard the helpless screams of three young boys who had ventured too far into a nearby pond. A young boy would later hauntingly recall Joe’s response when asked if he could swim, “I can’t swim good, but I have to save those kids. If I don’t come up, go get somebody.”

Joe would save one of the three children, with one child passing on the scene and one passing the next day, but the help Joe had hoped for himself never came. His extraordinary life was cut short and he was laid to rest five days later in his hometown of Haughton. However, his tale of heroism continues to live on to this day. He was survived by his wife Carolyn and their three daughters Tamika, Crystal, and Joanna."

Since 1983 many athletes, movie stars, and musicians have passed. Most of them have saddened me to some extent, but Delaney's story has always stayed with me.

Yes, I consider Joe Delaney a celebrity. Delaney is in the Chiefs Ring of Honor.

1580395620218.png

Last edited:
Robin Williams

Muhammad Ali

Jim Henson

Local Washington DC newscaster Jim Vance.

This one surprised me, I grew up watching him.

When my dad came home the first thing he did was turn on the news and there was Jim.

I liked him and he was a daily presence in my life but I wouldn't have said that he was a beloved presence, he was just the guy who did the news.

Or so I thought, I was caught off guard by his passing (I hadn't realized he was sick) and I was definitely caught off guard by how much I was affected by it
Wow didnt expect to see Vances name in here but yes I agree!
Him and George Michael the sports anchor.

Apropos of the Chiefs being in the Super Bowl. Joe Delany's death has always stuck with me and never fails to cause my eyes to water up. Joe Delany died a hero.

"On June 29th, 1983 while attending a “Kids Day” in Monroe, Louisiana Joe would bravely meet his fate in a way that was unsurprising to all who knew him—in service to others. While playing softball, Joe overheard the helpless screams of three young boys who had ventured too far into a nearby pond. A young boy would later hauntingly recall Joe’s response when asked if he could swim, “I can’t swim good, but I have to save those kids. If I don’t come up, go get somebody.”

Joe would save one of the three children, with one child passing on the scene and one passing the next day, but the help Joe had hoped for himself never came. His extraordinary life was cut short and he was laid to rest five days later in his hometown of Haughton. However, his tale of heroism continues to live on to this day. He was survived by his wife Carolyn and their three daughters Tamika, Crystal, and Joanna."

Since 1983 many athletes, movie stars, and musicians have passed. Most of them have saddened me to some extent, but Delany's story has always stayed with me.

Yes, I consider Joe Delany a celebrity. Delany is in the Chiefs Ring of Honor.

1580395620218.png

Great post.

I was a kid in West Monroe when that happened.

We use "hero" lightly these days but Delaney was definitely one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom