Which Celebrity or Athletes passing shocked/saddened you? (1 Viewer)

jasonsw

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
For me Celebrity wise it was Whitney Houston. She is one of my favorite musicians and I have liked her music since I was young. Her voice was amazing and the Star Spangled Banner rendition during the Superbowl between Buffalo/NYG was epic.

When it pertains to Athletes Derrick Thomas' death was painful. At that time he was my favorite football player. I used to wear his Jersey frequently. Him and Brees' Jersey are the only ones I've ever owned.

Honestly I can’t think of one. None of the ones who created things I love were still creating good work that resonated with me and I never knew them personally, so none of them really bothered me beyond just basic human tragedy.

Having lost my dad and both of my siblings, celebrity deaths are but a grain of sand on the beach to me. I do feel a sense of sadness and it resurfaces emotions of dealing with my own losses and sort of reminds me how those we love can be gone in the blink of an eye.

The one that shocked me and I was pretty sad about was Anthony Bourdain.

Pistol Pete was the big one
Prince is probably next
Then in no particular order
Richard Pryor (but actually more the near death than the death itself)
Phil Hartman
A steady stream of actors/dancers/artists we lost to AIDS in the 80s/90s
Carrie Fisher
Bob Fosse
Ali

I try not to get too invested into celebrities to get sad over their deaths. I have a hard enough time dealing with the deaths of loved ones. I have a lot of empathy when I read the stories of how those deaths affect other people though.

Aaliyah. I think that was the only one that made me cry. I wailed myself to sleep. I still think about her at least once a month.

For me Celebrity wise it was Whitney Houston. She is one of my favorite musicians and I have liked her music since I was young. Her voice was amazing and the Star Spangled Banner rendition during the Superbowl between Buffalo/NYG was epic.

When it pertains to Athletes Derrick Thomas' death was painful. At that time he was my favorite football player. I used to wear his Jersey frequently. Him and Brees' Jersey are the only ones I've ever owned.

Whitney Houston had some of the best pipes EVER!!! It is just a tragedy that her personal life was such a mess,

None so far. Kobe passing is being over sensationalized. I get it that he was a phenomenal athlete and did a lot for the communities, but wow. The internet is a powerful drug.

When a well known celebrity dies suddenly in a helicopter crash, that is going to be a big deal. Especially one where a lot of folks watched/followed him since he was a teenager.

From a skinny teen to a grown man with a wife and kids...that's over 20 years of his life and I'm not even a Laker fan.

Inflammatory/Troll post
[MOD EDIT :nono: - SW ]

Sorry.....back on topic.....I agree with the above post, that family and friends always affect me more than famous folks that I do not know.

Prince was sad to me, because he was all alone in that humongous building, dying in a friggin' elevator.

Queen's death was horrible, because he was way too young with so much talent left unshared.

Kate Spade & Robin Williams both dying by hanging from a door, just does not make any sense, with the best in medical care available to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom