Which Celebrity or Athletes passing shocked/saddened you? (1 Viewer)

When a well known celebrity dies suddenly in a helicopter crash, that is going to be a big deal. Especially one where a lot of folks watched/followed him since he was a teenager.

From a skinny teen to a grown man with a wife and kids...that's over 20 years of his life and I'm not even a Laker fan.

Agreed. The sudden shock of such a horrible way to die, with 8 other lives involved, is what is making folks that did not even like Kobe, upset at this tragedy.

Plus, seeing a 400 lb. Shaq, crying his eyes out with tears rolling down his face, on the TNT special, then DWade crying, Barkley crying, LaBron crying as he got off the team plane......geeeez, it is contagious. It is a very sad loss of kids lives & mom & dads lives.

Robin Williams

Muhammad Ali

Jim Henson

Local Washington DC newscaster Jim Vance.

This one surprised me, I grew up watching him.

When my dad came home the first thing he did was turn on the news and there was Jim.

I liked him and he was a daily presence in my life but I wouldn't have said that he was a beloved presence, he was just the guy who did the news.

Or so I thought, I was caught off guard by his passing (I hadn't realized he was sick) and I was definitely caught off guard by how much I was affected by it

But to be serious it would be John Lennon.

I grew up on that music.

I was a kid watching Monday Night Football when Howard Cosell announced it.

Last edited:
Like many, some make me sad, but not soul crushing sad.

I think for some though, Kobe was their hero. That's hard for a lot of people.

However, I'd probably go with Robin Williams. Just such a lovely human. Funny, crazy, and was the nicest guy to production staff. I know a person or two in the industry and they've always been impressed with how he was to them. Very generous with his time, kind, friendly and gave them attention. Usually it's the other way around.

For Athletes, I'm kind of shocked no one said this (or I missed it).. Will Smith. Just pure senseless violence. I was P'Oed for a while. Still get upset when I think about it too much.

Otherwise, I'm only 39 and have already seen too many friends my age die. Suicide, accidents. A cousin that was murdered years ago. Those hit me harder. Especially the ones with kids, and seeing the damage left behind.

oh i forgot

andre the giant
mr perfect
ultimate warrior

to high to remember their real names

Kobe's death is the only one I can remember shedding a few tears over (mainly because of his daughter)

Heath Ledger
JFK Jr.
Robin Williams

Growing up, i was a huge fan of the old tv show Three’s Company.. John Ritter was my favorite actor.. so when i woke up to the news about 16 or 17 yrs ago that he’d passed, on the local (Los Angeles) news, it hit me hard.. Actually had a friend call me who knew how big a fan i was and say “How ya doin’, slugger?” Never had a phone call to check on me due to a celebrity death before, or since... i actually took a ride by Ritter’s star on the Walk of Fame to see the makeshift memorial that was set up.. The only other person i ever did that for in all my years there was George Harrison on the day he died.

[MOD EDIT :nono: - SW ]

Sorry.....back on topic.....I agree with the above post, that family and friends always affect me more than famous folks that I do not know.

Prince was sad to me, because he was all alone in that humongous building, dying in a friggin' elevator.

Queen's death was horrible, because he was way too young with so much talent left unshared.

Kate Spade & Robin Williams both dying by hanging from a door, just does not make any sense, with the best in medical care available to them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom