Which defection to Atlanta bothered you the most? (1 Viewer)

Which defection to Atlanta bothered you the most?

• Morten Andersen

Votes: 221 48.8%
  • Bobby Hebert

Votes: 110 24.3%
  • Joe Horn

Votes: 58 12.8%
  • Black Moses

Votes: 49 10.8%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 15 3.3%

• Total voters
To this day I never considered Morten Andersen a defector. He was cut by the team so they would not have to pay him a million dollar contract. Their intention was to re-sign him to a lower contract. The Saints considered a kicker not worth a million.

We have learned through the years just how difficult it is to find quality kickers. The loss of Andersen was squarely on the shoulders of the Saints. Andersen made the logical decision to go where he had an offer.

We got Pistol Pete from Atlanta. End of story. The Saints players left because of broken relationships with the Saints front office and coaches. You see Yankee and Red Sox players go to their arch rivals from time to time.

What was insulting back in the day was the Mormon Jazz owner Sam "Sambo's" Battistone moving the Jazz to Utah because he hated New Orleans' hedonistic culture. What a Dirty Depends that guy was.

Wasn't the Sam Mills thing forced by the NFL, I think that it allowed the Expansion Teams to choose from the best players on all teams. Correct me if I'm wrong.

He wasn't drafted in the expansion draft he was signed as a free agent.

Carolina Panthers[edit]
Mills became a free agent at the end of the 1994 NFL season. The expansion Carolina Panthers offered him a two-year, $2.8 million deal. While New Orleans matched the offer, Mills was displeased that the Saints did not make an offer until the Panthers forced their hand, and opted to sign with the Panthers.[citation needed]

Mills became a veteran leader for the young team, the only player to start every game during the Panthers' first three seasons. In a 1995 game against the New York Jets, Mills stepped in front of a Bubby Brister shovel pass and took it 36 yards for a touchdown, sealing the Panthers' first win in franchise history. His career rebirth gave him a fifth Pro Bowl appearance in 1996 at the age of 37 which, at the time, made him the oldest defender to be invited to a Pro Bowl. He retired after the following season.[4]

Red & Black Moses.

The players got paid to play there. There only so many NFL jobs out there and they took what they could. They also contributed to Atlanta's inability to win a Super Bowl.

Moses can live there while being a Saint's fan but he chose not to. I wish him well in his personal life, but I hope that he continues to lead them, wandering around, aimlessly for another 40 years.

He wasn't drafted in the expansion draft he was signed as a free agent.

Carolina Panthers[edit]
Mills became a free agent at the end of the 1994 NFL season. The expansion Carolina Panthers offered him a two-year, $2.8 million deal. While New Orleans matched the offer, Mills was displeased that the Saints did not make an offer until the Panthers forced their hand, and opted to sign with the Panthers.[citation needed]

Mills became a veteran leader for the young team, the only player to start every game during the Panthers' first three seasons. In a 1995 game against the New York Jets, Mills stepped in front of a Bubby Brister shovel pass and took it 36 yards for a touchdown, sealing the Panthers' first win in franchise history. His career rebirth gave him a fifth Pro Bowl appearance in 1996 at the age of 37 which, at the time, made him the oldest defender to be invited to a Pro Bowl. He retired after the following season.[4]
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

For me it's Morten and not even close. The front office tried to screw him and then he made them (and us) pay for a loooong time. That guy should've retired a Saint. Hebert left with an attitude and his rubbing it in Saints fans faces with his stupid airplane move didn't help.

The Cajun Cannon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom