Which defection to Atlanta bothered you the most? (1 Viewer)

Which defection to Atlanta bothered you the most?

• Morten Andersen

Votes: 221 48.8%
  • Bobby Hebert

Votes: 110 24.3%
  • Joe Horn

Votes: 58 12.8%
  • Black Moses

Votes: 49 10.8%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 15 3.3%

• Total voters
Bobby Hebert's defection was the worst. I can't describe how disappointed I was to see him doing that stupid airplane thing against us. I don't care what his feelings were toward the organization. He should have had more class toward the fans. He was always one of my all time favorite players until that point. Now he's just a guy who played for the Saints once upon a time to me. And I like Bobby. I don't how I'd feel if I disliked him.

I would not mind seeing Kikaha or Anzalone 'defect.' If Strief wanted to sign a long term deal in Atlanta with guaranteed money, I could accept that.

What year do you think it is?

Kikaha and Strief haven’t played for the Saints since 2017.

Mills became a free agent at the end of the 1994 NFL season. The expansion Carolina Panthers offered him a two-year, $2.8 million deal. While New Orleans matched the offer, Mills was displeased that the Saints did not make an offer until the Panthers forced their hand, and opted to sign with the Panthers.[citation needed]
In the FWIW category, that's close but not correct. The overriding factor for Mills was that his LB coach here & in the USFL (Vic Fangio) moved to Carolina as their new DC. Mills was close to him, so with contracts being equal he chose Carolina & the ability to continue to play for Fangio, not an issue with the Saints' offer.

ETA: Here is an audio link (the first couple of minutes) to Vic Fangio talking about how close he and Mills were.

Last edited:
As others have said, for me it was Hebert, because of the way he acted about it. For all these guys it was just business, a place they could continue their career and in most cases make some more money, but Hebert wanted to make it personal. It is hard for me to forget that even today when I hear him on the radio.

Sam leaving was by far the worst move to me the saints made. The Saints should have never put him in a situation for that to happen.

Now on the other hand I’m happy that he was able to make the most of it, become a huge member of their fan base and get all the way to coaching in a super bowl.

Nothing but respect for the field mouse.

Most of Morten's Saints days were before "my time" but what really PO'd me was he chose the Dome Opener, of all games, to mark his 2nd joining to the Falcons.

Joe Horn hurt but I get at the time he had a kind of beef more with Payton than anything IIRC.

Bobby is just plain aggravating... Trying to pretend all those years playing w/ and then broadcasting for the Falcons never existed.

The loss of all 4 members of the Dome Patrol hurt more than anything.

I voted for Bobby. What bugs me the most about him was him running down the field doing a Dirty Bird after he threw a TD against us for Atlanta.

It only hurts when a guy leaves the Saints and then goes on to be even better or more successful somewhere else. Most (if not all) of the guys that “defected” to Atlanta didn’t really do much. Morten Andersen was probably the best, but at the end of the day... he’s still just a kicker.

Watching Sam Mills go to Carolina absolutely sucked. He was still a stud when he went there, and those idiots erected a statue in his honor and claim him as their own. I hate that!
Mark Fields was better for Carolina than he ever was for the Saints... that one hurt a little too.
I also didn’t like seeing Brett Maxie and Toi Cook go to Carolina. Carolina has had much more success poaching our players than the Turds ever had.
I hated seeing Brett Perriman go to Detroit and ball-out alongside Herman Moore.
Ninkovich to the Pats burned a little too, but he never really even flashed as a Saint.

PS - I don’t think Tyler Davison is going to make us regret letting him get away. He’s a solid run stopping NT, but Rankins and CJ elevated him.

For me it was Hebert and Hayward. Only because they performed better there than here.

I voted Hebert, but after thinking about it Andersen is the obvious choice. How hard is it to negotiate a new contract with your kicker? Should have never happened.

We let Andersen go because he'd gotten fat and was phoning it in. When we let him walk, he started working out and took his job seriously again. Look at his last 3 seasons of FG accuracy with the Saints: 85%, 80%, 71.8%. He was trending downward and looked like he'd hit the wall, after he'd hit the buffet table.

From a personal standpoint, it was Hebert because we knew him and family.
Professionally though, Morten was a big loss.
Joe Horn stung a bit too.
Horn and Hebert made it personal though. Hebert bad mouthing Finks and Mora. Horn and Kenny Wilkerson causing trouble... it was ugly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom