Which Drew Brees record is most likely to stand the test of time? (1 Viewer)

Any season record will stand forever, if anybody ever breaks one it will have an * due to 17 games

Any season record will stand forever, if anybody ever breaks one it will have an * due to 17 games

That didn't happen when the season went from 14 games to 16

**It would actually be interesting to look at all the season records and either break them down to a per game average and multiply by 14 or see where the numbers were after 14 games and see what the leaders list looks like then

**It would actually be interesting to look at all the season records and either break them down to a per game average and multiply by 14 or see where the numbers were after 14 games and see what the leaders list looks like then

Profootball Reference has it to where you can pull it up by per game averages for most stats.

For someone to top Brees/Manning for single season yardage they will have to throw for 5820 yards.

OJ is still tops for rushing yards per game with 143.1, I don't see that getting topped any time soon. They'd have to put up 2,434 yards rushing in a 17 games season.

The completion % records are going to hard to top. The consecutive games with a TD is going to be hard to beat as well. And it's hard to imagine a QB throwing for 8 TDs in one game so that record of 7 in one game might last a while.

It's still hard to believe that of all of the great QBs to ever play the game, a Saints QB is at the top in so many categories. Basically he broke every meaningful passing statistic. Game, season, career you name it.

All will fall. The competition committee, the owners, and the fans all like to see records broken. It improves ratings.

The power's that be will play with the rules until they get what they want.

Otherwise Sonny Jorgensen, Terry Bradshaw, and Otto Graham's names would still be spoken with the same regard as Peyton Manning and that cheating hack, Brady.

Single game completion % . That's just nuts!

The thing that is most impressive to me about that Brees record was that after it was snapped at 54 he then went on the fifth longest steak in NFL history at 45 games immediately after that. If he had managed to get a TD in garbage time against Atlanta that day in 2012 the streak would have lasted exactly 100 games almost double the next longest streak. Instead he has to settle for having the 1st and 5th longest streaks in NFL history.

200.gif

And I just went back and looked and totally forgot about this play:

Brees had thrown a touchdown pass in 54 consecutive games, breaking Johnny Unitas' long-standing record earlier this season. He had an apparent scoring pass to Darren Sproles late in the first half, but it was nullified by a penalty.

Now I'm mad all over again. :hihi:

That didn't happen when the season went from 14 games to 16

It was a run game back then. I won’t recognize a 17 game record without an * but you can.

I think that QBs playing at a high level for 15+ years will be the norm. Hitting 20 years won't be commonplace but it won't be rare either

People were saying that Mahomes could be the first career 100K QB, first 6K 60TD season QB and people were saying that before they added the 17th game

Which of Drew Brees career marks do you think will still be standing 25 years from now?

Here are a few of the notable career marks that Drew holds:

Barring a preseason, or very early season career ending injury to Tom Brady he'll break the yards mark pretty early on this season so that's off the table

I think it's the 74.4% completion mark. I think that's the one most likely to still be the record decades from now, and on that note I wouldn't be surprised if the 96.7% is a forever record as well
The completion % in one game, you would have to either go 29-29 or 30-31 to break it.

Or the consecutive 20+ completion games, just think someone has to essentially go over 3 1/2 seasons to break it. At some point you play a game in which you're not asked to throw it as much or just have a difficult time completing passes against an elite defense.

The thing that is most impressive to me about that Brees record was that after it was snapped at 54 he then went on the fifth longest steak in NFL history at 45 games immediately after that. If he had managed to get a TD in garbage time against Atlanta that day in 2012 the streak would have lasted exactly 100 games almost double the next longest streak. Instead he has to settle for having the 1st and 5th longest streaks in NFL history.

200.gif
The streak should have lasted 163 games with the Atlanta (2012) and Houston (2015) road games stopping streaks. We all know the TD mistakenly called back against Atlanta plus the Moore drop. Then in the Texans game Drew threw one of the most beautiful passes in coverage you'll ever see and Ben Watson dropped it.

That gets him to 163.

Completions % single season is probably it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom