Which FA CB will we go after? (1 Viewer)

Nate Clements, UFA, Buffalo Bills
Without an extension, the Bills must decide if they are willing to franchise tag Clements once again to guarantee his presence on the gridiron for one more season

The Buffalo Bills when franchising Clements agreed not to franchise him again next year, as the Seattle Seahawks did with Shaun Alexander. This means unless the Bills can re-sign Clements between now and March he WILL hit free agency

"The Buffalo Bills made the first mistake when agreeing with cornerback Nate Clements not to place the franchise tag on him again next season, thus allowing him to be an unrestricted free-agent"

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/NFL_Czar/2006/05/17/Trouble_for_Drew_Manning

Nooooo....you move Freddy to the Nickel not MM. Fred is great in the nickel. MM is the superior corner by far of the 2. Moving him to #2 and letting Clement be our "shutdown" guy would set our secondary up for years. (we draft to replace fred who is getting old).

MM is quietly playing great this year shutting down his side of the field (he gives up about 2 passes to his side of the field a game, the other side whether its fred or craft has got to be fixed). I'm excited to see him with a better corner on the other side of him.

Galloway, Driver, Smith, Ward... all have had big days against our defense. Those guys were MM's primary responsibility (#1 WR).

On the flipside, there is not a single #2 WR that has given us problems this year.

I understand that it is not as easy as saying that MM is responsible for all of the #1 WR and Freddy the #2, but the Saints _do_ play a lot of man coverage. In those situations, it is that easy.

The difference between Thomas and McKenzie is the fact that when a play is made against Freddy, he is usually at least on the screen when the WR makes the catch (and he makes the tackle). So you say... "there's Freddy running with that WR, he got beat". When MM's assignment makes a play, McKenzie is usually 15 yards away from the play and off the screen.

Galloway, Driver, Smith, Ward... all have had big days against our defense. Those guys were MM's primary responsibility (#1 WR).

On the flipside, there is not a single #2 WR that has given us problems this year.

I understand that it is not as easy as saying that MM is responsible for all of the #1 WR and Freddy the #2, but the Saints _do_ play a lot of man coverage. In those situations, it is that easy.

The difference between Thomas and McKenzie is the fact that when a play is made against Freddy, he is usually at least on the screen when the WR makes the catch (and he makes the tackle). So you say... "there's Freddy running with that WR, he got beat". When MM's assignment makes a play, McKenzie is usually 15 yards away from the play and off the screen.

Your totally wrong here man. Your looking at 1 and 2 and saying 1 and 2 cover 1 and 2. Thats not how it works.

Joe Galloway was against Fred the entire game not MM, Fred gave up one of his TD's, The other was a LB who was covering him on Freds side of the field (not Freds fault). Ward was against Craft most of the day. On that long TD...that was Crafts side of the field not MM. Steve Smith was on Freds side of the feild the entire game. Fred did a good job holding him to under 80 yards and limiting his effectiveness but he did catch 10 passes. As for Driver I don't remember. I know Craft gave up a big play to him. But MM did give up a long one in the beginning. But everyone here agreed that was a perfect throw. MM was all over him.

Our CB's do not play 1 and 2, they play sides of the field. MM has shut his side down all year. Fred has not. Hes giving up to many intermediate passes.

Half of this is because our D-line isn't getting enough pressure.

Everyone that is talking this #1 CB on #1 WR needs to watch a couple games. Depending on the defense, offensive alignment, etc. any corner can match up on any WR. Just because we think "so and so" is our #1 CB and "so and so" is their #1 WR doens't mean he plays him the hole game.

Take last nights game for example, how many times did you see Cox or Bolden on Steve Smith? In a ideal play Barber would be matched up on Smith, Bolden on Keyshawn and Cox on the #3 WR. How many times did that actually happen? Depending on what defense Tampa came out in and what offense Carolina came out in would determine who would line up against who.

If I'm not mistaken, Quentin Jammer will be available as well and is a friend of a certain quarterback we know...

If I'm not mistaken, Quentin Jammer has been kind of a bust since coming into the league out of Texas. I think he's still pretty good... Better than Thomas and Craft, but he's not better than MM.

i heard that clements is having an awful year....but any of these 2 will be fine....

even adding a CB in FA...we need to draft a corner for the future.

He shut down Marvin Harrrison Sunday. When was the last time anybody shut down Marvin?

Your totally wrong here man. Your looking at 1 and 2 and saying 1 and 2 cover 1 and 2. Thats not how it works.

Joe Galloway was against Fred the entire game not MM, Fred gave up one of his TD's, The other was a LB who was covering him on Freds side of the field (not Freds fault). Ward was against Craft most of the day. On that long TD...that was Crafts side of the field not MM. Steve Smith was on Freds side of the feild the entire game. Fred did a good job holding him to under 80 yards and limiting his effectiveness but he did catch 10 passes. As for Driver I don't remember. I know Craft gave up a big play to him. But MM did give up a long one in the beginning. But everyone here agreed that was a perfect throw. MM was all over him.

Our CB's do not play 1 and 2, they play sides of the field. MM has shut his side down all year. Fred has not. Hes giving up to many intermediate passes.

Half of this is because our D-line isn't getting enough pressure.

BoNcHiE is right. Fred and Mike don't switch sides of the field. They cover whomever is in front of them.

In all honesty... I'd have to say the Saints are most likely to pass on both Clements and Samuel, and end up signing a middle-tier guy with upside potential, like Nick Harper from Indy.

Like I said, I understand that you can't always match the #1 WR with the #1 CB.

But to say MM has not been burned this year is just dead wrong. Again, when MM gets burned, he gets burned badly, and he's not usually visible. When Freddy allows a catch, at least he's within 5 yards of the ball carrier, and rarely, if ever, misses the tackle. The same can't be said for MM. Every CB will give up a 5 yard slant. It's almost impossible to defend. The key is to make the tackle as soon as the ball is caught, which Freddy does about 99.99999 percent of the time.

I'm not trying to "jack" your thread here, but at footballsfuture.com you can view the positional lists for the upcoming FA market. A few players that really stood out to me from those pages were...

LB - Adalius Thomas (Baltimore) Dude is a straight up BEAST! Great speed and strength, and he won't be the top guy on the market so we might could get him for a fair price!

WR - Kevin Curtis (St. Louis) Good, up-and-coming speed WR to compliment The Big Smooth in the near future.

WR - Drew Bennett (Tennessee) Big, Tall, Sure-handed WR that knows how to get open, and has enough speed to burn you deep. Paired with Colston and Horn, we'd have a scary good WR corps... don't forget Reggie!

if you go back and watch the film all those guys were beating FT. MM was beat a lot in the pre season but has defintely turned it on in the regular season. just because a #1 WR has a big game doesn't mean MM sticks him the whole game. coaches often send their #1 to side where they have the better match up. and on our D thats FT. Steve Smith had 8 out of his 11 catches on FT, 1 on MM and 2 on crossing routes in the middle of the field. FT constantly gets beat all year. i just don't understand the love affair with FT on this board. yeah he's been here for a while but he defintely doesn't perform like a CB getting paid $5 million a year.

Like I said, I understand that you can't always match the #1 WR with the #1 CB.

But to say MM has not been burned this year is just dead wrong. Again, when MM gets burned, he gets burned badly, and he's not usually visible. When Freddy allows a catch, at least he's within 5 yards of the ball carrier, and rarely, if ever, misses the tackle. The same can't be said for MM. Every CB will give up a 5 yard slant. It's almost impossible to defend. The key is to make the tackle as soon as the ball is caught, which Freddy does about 99.99999 percent of the time.

MM is one of only 8 CB's in the league to not give up a pass over 25 yards. i'd say that doesn't mean he gets burnt a lot. got this from a KC Joyner article awhile back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom