Which group is the strength of our defense? (1 Viewer)

Which group is the strength of our defense?

• Defensive Line

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Linebackers

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Secondary

Votes: 22 95.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Necrocajun

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
You most certainly can make an argument for all three: Defensive Line, Linebackers and Secondary. This year, we have great depth at pretty much all positions; as evident by our injury replacements.

On the defensive line; you have a much improved Charles Grant and Will Smith, not to mention Bobby McCray and Anthony Hargrove coming off the bench. (Might as will throw Sedrick Ellis in there too. Hope he can come back soon.) The defensive line is strong at the point of attack and we are getting much better pressure on the quarterback compared to last year. Bill Johnson deserves a lot of credit for being vastly improved on the defensive side of the trenches.

For the linebackers, Jonathan Vilma is to our outside linebackers as Drew Brees is to his receivers...he makes them much better. Vilma is a field general. He puts the other troops in position to make plays. He is a big reason why New Orleans was able to stop the bleeding in the first half against the Dolphins. Scott Shanle is a damn good LB too. Him and Vilma are a good reflection of why New Orleans have been stout against the run this year. The only weakness is in Fujita's position. Fujita was the weak link of the group to begin with. (He's average IMO...not bad considering some of the LB's we've had over the past decade.) With the injury to Fujita, we definitely have a chink in the armor; so to speak. But with Fujita becoming a FA next year, I think we draft a replacement or shop for another FA linebacker.

I think it's a toss up between the DL and LBs, but my vote goes to the secondary. It's amazing how 1 year can change a glaring weakness to a radiant strength. Where should I begin? We have a top 3 pair of starting cornerbacks. Our 3rd and 4th CBs would be starting on quite a few teams out there. Sharper deserves DPOY, Comeback Player of the Year and Pro Bowl honors. He is exactly what we lacked at the safety position since Sammy Knight...A BALLHAWKING SAFETY!!! Harper is finally being used properly...kudos to Gregg Williams. Porter, Sharper, Harper, Greer...not a weakness to be found. It's why the Secondary has my vote. Thoughts?

seriously I would have to come out and say gregg Williams is our strength. We are a lights out defense top to bottom.

seriously I would have to come out and say gregg Williams is our strength. We are a lights out defense top to bottom.

Damn...I should have put Gregg Williams as a poll option. You know what? I'm having trouble remembering who our last defensive coordinater was. lol (Seriously, I am...Gregg Williams has that effect of allieviating defensive sorrow)

Edit: Gary Gibbs. Like I said...very forgetable.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom