Which, if any, of the upcoming electric trucks interest you? (1 Viewer)

Dago

Veteran
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
With the top of the line Ford F150 going for over $80,000, electric trucks shouldn't be disregarded on the basis of price alone.

Here is a list of the upcoming make and models

The Rivian because I think it looks the coolest.

On a somewhat not related note, what’s the proper etiquette when borrowing someone’s electric vehicle and filling it back up before you return it? If you only need to borrow it for a few hours and run the battery down, do you keep it a few extra days so you can slow charge it at your house? Or do you bring it back empty and give them some cash to pay for electricity costs? How do you even know how much money you should give them? What if they’re on one of those Time of Use electric rate systems where the price of electricity can vary by as much as 4x depending when you use it?

Last edited:
Best rc GIFs - Primo GIF - Latest Animated GIFs

Definitely the Rivian.
The Cybertruck’s biggest drawback is that the bed is integrated into the cab. That’s not great when carrying heavy loads. It’s one reason vehicles like the Avalanche were not popular. A detached bed allows cargo to shift while minimizing the impact and ride quality on the cab.

Styling wise, the Cybertruck is just jarring. I hold final judgement until I see it in person but there are several lines that just don’t work well. Having an apex for the top of the roofline doesn’t look great. It would look better if it flattened out a bit. Then there is that nearly vertical line that leads in front of the wheel well. It’s just jarring. The interior looked like garbage to but those were pre-production so we’ll shall see. On the plus side, I think Elon has some good ideas with using stainless steel. Tesla’s batteries are better than anyone elses and I fully believe they’ll have a 500mile version of the truck. Tesla’s battery day also showed that they can reduce the cost per kWh in half. No one is going to be able to compete with them on price when that happens.

Meanwhile, the Rivian is simply a good looking truck in pretty much every dimension. The only thing that is a bit of a turn off are the headlamps but I can get past that. The interior is stunning to look at. But the thing that really gets me is the tank turn capability. That will be extremely useful when off roading, which I do a lot.

I really don’t know if I’ll trade my Raptor for a Rivian, but I’ll certainly consider it. I’ll also consider the electric F-150 when it comes out. Ford knows how to build trucks better than any of the others. Price is my only concern there.

Definitely the Rivian.
The Cybertruck’s biggest drawback is that the bed is integrated into the cab. That’s not great when carrying heavy loads. It’s one reason vehicles like the Avalanche were not popular. A detached bed allows cargo to shift while minimizing the impact and ride quality on the cab.

Styling wise, the Cybertruck is just jarring. I hold final judgement until I see it in person but there are several lines that just don’t work well. Having an apex for the top of the roofline doesn’t look great. It would look better if it flattened out a bit. Then there is that nearly vertical line that leads in front of the wheel well. It’s just jarring. The interior looked like garbage to but those were pre-production so we’ll shall see. On the plus side, I think Elon has some good ideas with using stainless steel. Tesla’s batteries are better than anyone elses and I fully believe they’ll have a 500mile version of the truck. Tesla’s battery day also showed that they can reduce the cost per kWh in half. No one is going to be able to compete with them on price when that happens.

Meanwhile, the Rivian is simply a good looking truck in pretty much every dimension. The only thing that is a bit of a turn off are the headlamps but I can get past that. The interior is stunning to look at. But the thing that really gets me is the tank turn capability. That will be extremely useful when off roading, which I do a lot.

I really don’t know if I’ll trade my Raptor for a Rivian, but I’ll certainly consider it. I’ll also consider the electric F-150 when it comes out. Ford knows how to build trucks better than any of the others. Price is my only concern there.

So that was going to be my question ( in general with electric cars )

So ive heard the pitch- save your $ from no longer having to purchase gasoline. But you still have to charge the car- which uses electricity from your home - which comes at a price.

What is that price? what is the average charging time that i can expect so i can calculate my fuel cost. Because down here, we have the cost per kWh ALONG with additional "fuel charge" that factors into the overall "rate per kWh".

is there a website that breaks this down?

Cyber truck looks like a 10 year old doodled a car while blowing off class. Tesla could have done anything else and it would look better.

Rivian looks the best, IMO, but I'm not paying $80,000.00 for a truck.

It is supposed to start at $70K but you get a $7500 federal tax credit and potentially a state tax credit. Colorado has a $5000 tax credit on EVs. Right there you get $12500 off MSRP. But that also depends on your tax liability to begin with.

I suspect most sales will be with small business owners. They can take advantage of the section 179 deduction on trucks with a GVWR of 6000lbs or more. That deduction can be as high as $25000.

i found a pretty cool website to give you an idea of charging costs ( and the time to charge from low % to desired % )

With a standard NEMA 5-15 ( most have this in garage ) - it would take 77 hrs to charge a Rivian 180 from 10% to 80%.

so you would want to look at installing a NEMA 14-30 or greater ( think dryer plug type ) to significantly reduce that charge time. And reading comments, it looks like this site is just a "Guesstimate". Many are posting that they are getting a lower kW per hour charge rate and that at 120v ( your common garage plug ) the efficiency drops substantially.

So you would want to have an electrician come out and install a NEMA 14-30 or greater, 240v /30A plug to really get decent charging time if you plan to drive the car daily.

Last edited:
It is supposed to start at $70K but you get a $7500 federal tax credit and potentially a state tax credit. Colorado has a $5000 tax credit on EVs. Right there you get $12500 off MSRP. But that also depends on your tax liability to begin with.

I suspect most sales will be with small business owners. They can take advantage of the section 179 deduction on trucks with a GVWR of 6000lbs or more. That deduction can be as high as $25000.

I wonder what Texas will do. I'd like to get an EVT, but even if money were no problem, I'd still balk at the price.

I wonder what Texas will do. I'd like to get an EVT, but even if money were no problem, I'd still balk at the price.
I believe the cybertruck is going to be made in Texas so I wouldn't be shocked if the state had some form of incentive program.

So that was going to be my question ( in general with electric cars )

So ive heard the pitch- save your $ from no longer having to purchase gasoline. But you still have to charge the car- which uses electricity from your home - which comes at a price.

What is that price? what is the average charging time that i can expect so i can calculate my fuel cost. Because down here, we have the cost per kWh ALONG with additional "fuel charge" that factors into the overall "rate per kWh".

is there a website that breaks this down?

There are several calculators out there to help you figure it out. But suffice to say that electricity is vastly cheaper to use than gasoline.
I believe the cybertruck is going to be made in Texas so I wouldn't be shocked if the state had some form of incentive program.

Correct, the factory is being built right now in Austin.
They are building a new battery plant too.

I looked at that Rivian. Holy sheet that thing is ugly.

I am trying to be open minded with these new EVs. The only one that looks half decent is the Nikola Badger.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom