Which OL will the Saints draft? (1 Viewer)

Slaw

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We all know the Saints are likely drafting an offensive lineman at some point. In what round will they select one, who do you think/hope it will be, and what will be the vision for the player? I'll kick us off.

With pick #88, the Saints select:
OL Isaiah Wilson, Georgia

The vision for Wilson would be at RG. Warford has a cap hit of $13M and is in a contract year. Wilson is built like Carl Nicks, and both played tackle in college. Can you imagine a player with that type of potential playing between Ramczyk and McCoy?

Nicks - Wilson
HT: 6'5 / 6'6
WT: 343 / 350
Arm: 34.5 / 35.5
40: 5.22 / 5.32
BP: 31 / 26
VJ: 25.5 / 29
BJ: 109 / 110

Last edited:
Payton said interior OL was a need. I would think it would be a well balanced (pass/run blocking) RG maybe a converted tackle. Just like you said, someone to groom behind Warford.

We all know the Saints are likely drafting an offensive lineman at some point. In what round will they select one, who do you think/hope it will be, and what will be the vision for the player? I'll kick us off.

With pick #88, the Saints select:
OL Isaiah Wilson, Georgia

The vision for Wilson would be at RG. Warford has a cap hit of $13M and is in a contract year. Wilson is built like Carl Nicks, and both played tackle in college. Can you imagine a player with that type of potential playing between Ramczyk and McCoy?

Nicks - Wilson
HT: 6'5 / 6'6
WT: 343 / 350
Arm: 34.5 / 35.5
40: 5.22 / 5.32
BP: 31 / 26
VJ: 25.5 / 29
BJ: 109 / 110

How do you feel about his college teammate
Solomon Kinney? Should still be available in the 4th if we go another way at #88. I believe a really good WR should be on the board at #88 and we know SP wouldn't pass on value at the WR spot.

I’ve got a list of five OL now, who most don’t have going in the first round. Four were college OTs who I would slide to G, similar to Jahri Evans, Carl Nicks, and what eventually happened with Andrus Peat. The fifth would be more of a RG/C versus the “usual” RG/RT.

These aren’t in any particular order, because I can’t decide how to rank them.

Name, School, Height, Weight, Arm Length

Isaiah Wilson, Georgia, 6-6, 350, 35 1/2”
Lucas Niang, TCU, 6-6, 315, 34 1/4”
Robert Hunt, ULL, 6-5, 323, 33 1/2”
Saahdiq Charles, LSU, 6-4, 321, 33”
Lloyd Cushenberry, LSU, 6-3, 312, 34 1/4”

If the front office sees a player who can be a stud RG by 2021 (Warford’s free agency) fall into the 3rd round, I think that could be a good candidate for either the “Kamara trade” where we send next year’s 2nd round pick for a 3rd in the current draft, or something like the Erik McCoy trade, where we trade up half a round.

Either way, the Saints being able to upgrade Warford is too much to pass up on after our first pick. Not only would it upgrade the OL play, but also save $10M+ against the salary cap by not having pay Warford.

Edit:

I understand that threads about WRs and LBs are more interesting and exciting, but when it comes to the positions we are most likely to select in the early to mid rounds of the draft, the proof is in the pudding when it comes to the Saints. I might go pull the numbers, but OL is at least one of, if not the most popular position for the Saints to select.

Not to mention, the last four OL the Saints have drafted in rounds 1-3 are McCoy (2), Ramczyk (1), Peat (1), and Armstead (3).

Last edited:
How does Cushenberry compare to Will Clapp? Both were 1st team all SEC at LSU. One went late 7th and the other could go in the 2nd?

What do scouts see that separates them so much?

How does Cushenberry compare to Will Clapp? Both were 1st team all SEC at LSU. One went late 7th and the other could go in the 2nd?

What do scouts see that separates them so much?
In most instances, my opinion is based on a combination of what I noticed live and on Sports Center, what information I can gather from various draft analysts, and measurables. In some cases I will watch "coaches film". Some years I watch more than others. What I do watch is primarily Saints first round options. This year, for the first time in years, I haven't watched any.

I have seen Kindley going late 3 to early 5. I have seen that we are interested in Asenjo (spelling?). As being a late day 3 pick.

There’s a lot more really high upside, true development tackle prospects than past years. I like guys like Niang and Matt Peart if there’s room to hold and coach them for a year or two.

Among guards that can compete to play if Peat doesn’t round into form, I like several guys mentioned so far. I would add Robert Hunt’s teammate Kevin Dotson, Tyler Biadasz (my favorite pure interior OL behind Ruiz), John Simpson from Clemson, and Shane Lemieux from Oregon.

With so many talented OT projects, I think Austin Jackson takes a little dip into 50+ range. He should be a trade up for candidate. Very similar to Peat in versatility and frame. Would be a great player to push that position competitively.

Another guy to watch at guard is Danny Pinter from Ball State. Was a dominant college tackle, but doesn’t have the length and mass of an NFL tackle. Might profile best as a center at the next level, but go watch his tape.. The guy is good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom