Which OL will the Saints draft? (1 Viewer)

Hunt seems like a nice fit if he lasts until the 3rd or 4th.

I hope we don’t draft an OL unless it’s in the 6th round. If we did an offensive tackle would be the way to go. I think Nick Easton, Will Clapp, and Cameron Tom could all start in this league at guard or center. All 3 are pretty young as well with Easton at 27 with Clapp & Tom at 24. We currently don’t have a backup offensive tackle, but if we were to draft one then one of those 3 would likely not make the 53. The one thing good about Andrus Peat is that he can play offensive tackle, so he’s our main backup. He would backup Armstead & Ramczyk with Easton or Clapp playing guard in his spot.

I think we need some linebackers, a corner, a receiver, a backup running back, a backup tight end, and a backup quarterback before we need an offensive lineman

I hope we don’t draft an OL unless it’s in the 6th round. If we did an offensive tackle would be the way to go. I think Nick Easton, Will Clapp, and Cameron Tom could all start in this league at guard or center. All 3 are pretty young as well with Easton at 27 with Clapp & Tom at 24. We currently don’t have a backup offensive tackle, but if we were to draft one then one of those 3 would likely not make the 53. The one thing good about Andrus Peat is that he can play offensive tackle, so he’s our main backup. He would backup Armstead & Ramczyk with Easton or Clapp playing guard in his spot.

I think we need some linebackers, a corner, a receiver, a backup running back, a backup tight end, and a backup quarterback before we need an offensive lineman

I strongly disagree. I think OL is a major need. Even though he was extended, Peat was bad last year and I’d like to see him legitimately pushed in camp at LG. Armstead & Ram are elite but Armstead’s health is concerning. Warford is in a contract year and might be gone after 2020. I don’t agree about the 3 backups you said could start. I think they’re replacement talents at best.

I actually think OL could warrant two picks in this draft. There’s developmental talent to be had. I can see a versatile guy with the first two picks and a developmental tackle later. Guys like Ezra Cleveland or Austin Jackson (ideal 88th pick) in the first two picks, followed by a Matt Peart/Yasir Durant or something late in the draft.

I strongly disagree. I think OL is a major need. Even though he was extended, Peat was bad last year and I’d like to see him legitimately pushed in camp at LG. Armstead & Ram are elite but Armstead’s health is concerning. Warford is in a contract year and might be gone after 2020. I don’t agree about the 3 backups you said could start. I think they’re replacement talents at best.

I actually think OL could warrant two picks in this draft. There’s developmental talent to be had. I can see a versatile guy with the first two picks and a developmental tackle later. Guys like Ezra Cleveland or Austin Jackson (ideal 88th pick) in the first two picks, followed by a Matt Peart/Yasir Durant or something late in the draft.

Yes but I want to win a super bowl next year and another offensive lineman that might not even start is a bad idea. Long term? Yes. But we will likely struggle anyway when Drew hangs up the cleats. We need to take advantage of the really slim super bowl window we still have left and an offensive lineman isn’t the way to go. I rather get special teams players later in the draft if they not ready to play right away and you don’t really get that with offensive lineman.

Linebacker:
SAM: Kiko
MIKE: Anzalone, Elliss
WILL: Davis, Robertson
I would argue that we need more than 1

Corner:
CB: Lattimore, Nichols
CB: Janoris, PRob, Hardee
NB: CGJ, PJ
I’m not comfortable having 32 year old Patrick Robinson as my 4th true corner unless Nichols is a good corner, but have yet to see him in a Saints uni

Receiver:
Thomas, Sanders, Tre’Quan, Harris
I’m not all that comfortable with Tre’Quan being our 3rd receiver. I hope Harris is more involved in the offense though.

Running back:
Kamara, Murray (we need a 3rd guy)

Quarterback:
Brees & Taysom (we need a 3rd guy with the way we use Taysom)

Tight end:
Cook & Hill (unless we happy with Griffin being the 3rd guy)

Last edited:
Yes but I want to win a super bowl next year and another offensive lineman that might not even start is a bad idea. Long term? Yes. But we will likely struggle anyway when Drew hangs up the cleats. We need to take advantage of the really slim super bowl window and an offensive lineman isn’t the way to go. I rather get special teams players later in the draft in they not ready to play right away and you don’t really get that with offensive lineman

I actually think if we’re honest with ourselves, the LG position should be one the easiest positions on the roster for an incoming rookie to win a starting spot. Without the absolutely catastrophic performance Peat had in the Vikings game, the Saints could’ve made noise in the playoffs. Drew had a bad game and the second and third receivers behind MT were invisible, so that was a need, but Sanders helps in a big way.

At full health, few rookies will start anywhere on this current roster day 1. LG is the one spot it should be highly competitive at the very least. Again, that’s assuming the staff sees Peat in the same way I do, which doesn’t appear to be the case based on that contract. I don’t have the ego to say I know more than the staff, so maybe they believe. But geez man he cost us what should’ve been a sure win.

There’s a lot more really high upside, true development tackle prospects than past years. I like guys like Niang and Matt Peart if there’s room to hold and coach them for a year or two.

Among guards that can compete to play if Peat doesn’t round into form, I like several guys mentioned so far. I would add Robert Hunt’s teammate Kevin Dotson, Tyler Biadasz (my favorite pure interior OL behind Ruiz), John Simpson from Clemson, and Shane Lemieux from Oregon.

With so many talented OT projects, I think Austin Jackson takes a little dip into 50+ range. He should be a trade up for candidate. Very similar to Peat in versatility and frame. Would be a great player to push that position competitively.
Matt Peart's Uncle Neil was one hell of a drummer!

Have to agree. And I do understand that every position is a need based on whatever you value.

WR yep, need/will need one.
DB yep will need one.
LB yep need one because of the injury history.
TE yep for 2021
DL yep injury deal again
QB..... need I go on?

OL need is a constant for me. After dropping my head and letting sounds out like pfhfhfgfgpfgh out of my mouth when Minny D line ran up the middle on us consistently I have to give in. If ya can't score because your line can't protect your QB sufficiently enough, you're screwed.

Oh, I forgot one of my top linemen in, OG, Natie Muti, Fresono State.
I watched some film on this guy where he pancaked DT's like they were nothing. One of the strongest players at the Combine in the Bench, 44 times.

My theory on Peat's contract is that the Saints:

1. Believe he is a great stylistic fit, with his size and mobility.

2. Highly value his versatility to play LT

3. Believe he has yet to reach his ceiling.

This is why I think the Saints might want to convert yet another college tackle to guard in the NFL.

I'm really liking Robert Hunt if he falls to 88.

I like Isaiah Wilson. I look for him to go late 2nd round or early 3rd. I think John Simpson may be there at 88. Still like Tyre Phillips in round 6.

Yes but I want to win a super bowl next year and another offensive lineman that might not even start is a bad idea. Long term? Yes. But we will likely struggle anyway when Drew hangs up the cleats. We need to take advantage of the really slim super bowl window we still have left and an offensive lineman isn’t the way to go. I rather get special teams players later in the draft if they not ready to play right away and you don’t really get that with offensive lineman.

Linebacker:
SAM: Kiko
MIKE: Anzalone, Elliss
WILL: Davis, Robertson
I would argue that we need more than 1

Corner:
CB: Lattimore, Nichols
CB: Janoris, PRob, Hardee
NB: CGJ, PJ
I’m not comfortable having 32 year old Patrick Robinson as my 4th true corner unless Nichols is a good corner, but have yet to see him in a Saints uni

Receiver:
Thomas, Sanders, Tre’Quan, Harris
I’m not all that comfortable with Tre’Quan being our 3rd receiver. I hope Harris is more involved in the offense though.

Running back:
Kamara, Murray (we need a 3rd guy)

Quarterback:
Brees & Taysom (we need a 3rd guy with the way we use Taysom)

Tight end:
Cook & Hill (unless we happy with Griffin being the 3rd guy)
Hakeem Adeniji is a later round OL they could target. There was as an article awhile back about the saints being interested. Was a 4 year starter and could be a developmental prospect.

OG, Netani Muti
Would need to move up to the 2nd Round to get this Stud.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom