Which OLB Combo? (1 Viewer)

TruSaint

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ok well I was just thinking say we do stay at 15 and we do select a pass rusher i only see 3 that will possibly fall to us, and that is jarvis jones, bjoern werner, and keke mingo. Reason I ask is we have 2 guys on our team recently signed, both young, and show a ton of potential, but are unproven for an entire season and those guys are junior galette and victor butler, galette being a weakside OLB and butler being a strongside OLB and as of right now they are the starters. My question is out of the 3 guys I named, where would u put them and what would u do with the other guy.

Jarvis Jones - He is thickly built but idk if he is strong enough to play on the strongside but is a perfect weakside OLB, my question is if u drafted him and put him at WOLB would u put galette and SOLB who played strongside end in our 4-3 and was actually decent at it vs the run, and its also not even a big deal because rob ryan runs cover 1 man blitz 75% of his plays, which is blitzing both OLB's regardless... So while having jarvis on the weakside would u start galette or butler at strong side?

Bjoern Werner - Say what you want but I think this guy might be a top 5 player in the draft but because he doesnt have a good 40 he falls, he can do everything, super quick first step, violent hands, 110% motor and actually looked VERY good at the combine in linebacker drills. I basically see a Ryan Kerrigan clone and think he would be a perfect SOLB. galette at WOLB and Werner at SOLB I think would be nasty, plus werner is the same type of guy that ryan kerrigan and paul kruger are, big, strong, violent, high motor guys.

Keke Mingo - Love his potential and will be a force as a pass rusher in the league, no doubt about it, i think in 3 years he will be the best 3-4 wolb in the draft. But basically all we have right now is WOLB with him and galette, IDK if i trust butler completely yet.

So i see the most likely to happen is either werner or mingo. Woudl u rather galette stay at WOLB and have werner be are SOLB or would u rather take mingo for our WOLB and take a chance that one of butler, galette, or tez could manage the SOLB?

Does anybody think galette could play SOLB? I mean he played strongside defensive end so u would logically think he could play 3-4 solb, but i know as an end u are not asked to drop into coverage and at OLB u are but in RR's system he wouldnt be and in the nickel vilma would come in and cover the Tight End anyway.

I'm happy at OLB right now with a Junior/Tez/Butler rotation. Keep them moving weak to strong.

Jarvis Jones - I'm concerned about the spinal stenosis If we get a shot at Werner or Mingo, I say go for it, but I might rather see us go with what we have and draft a DE like Dion Jordan.

Does anybody think galette could play SOLB? I mean he played strongside defensive end so u would logically think he could play 3-4 solb, but i know as an end u are not asked to drop into coverage and at OLB u are but in RR's system he wouldnt be and in the nickel vilma would come in and cover the Tight End anyway.

Are you kidding, Junior was lined up off the line a few times this season and he IS a beast. See hes quick. If we stand him up, he really gets to use that quickness both in rushing and cover.

I'm happy at OLB right now with a Junior/Tez/Butler rotation. Keep them moving weak to strong.

Jarvis Jones - I'm concerned about the spinal stenosis If we get a shot at Werner or Mingo, I say go for it, but I might rather see us go with what we have and draft a DE like Dion Jordan.

Jordan would play OLB not defensive end for us.

We need somebody that can run. Travardo Williams. Bam! But not at 15. I'd like to see some speed added to this defense besides Martez Wilson.

Ok well I was just thinking say we do stay at 15 and we do select a pass rusher i only see 3 that will possibly fall to us, and that is jarvis jones, bjoern werner, and keke mingo. Reason I ask is we have 2 guys on our team recently signed, both young, and show a ton of potential, but are unproven for an entire season and those guys are junior galette and victor butler, galette being a weakside OLB and butler being a strongside OLB and as of right now they are the starters. My question is out of the 3 guys I named, where would u put them and what would u do with the other guy.

Jarvis Jones - He is thickly built but idk if he is strong enough to play on the strongside but is a perfect weakside OLB, my question is if u drafted him and put him at WOLB would u put galette and SOLB who played strongside end in our 4-3 and was actually decent at it vs the run, and its also not even a big deal because rob ryan runs cover 1 man blitz 75% of his plays, which is blitzing both OLB's regardless... So while having jarvis on the weakside would u start galette or butler at strong side?

Bjoern Werner - Say what you want but I think this guy might be a top 5 player in the draft but because he doesnt have a good 40 he falls, he can do everything, super quick first step, violent hands, 110% motor and actually looked VERY good at the combine in linebacker drills. I basically see a Ryan Kerrigan clone and think he would be a perfect SOLB. galette at WOLB and Werner at SOLB I think would be nasty, plus werner is the same type of guy that ryan kerrigan and paul kruger are, big, strong, violent, high motor guys.

Keke Mingo - Love his potential and will be a force as a pass rusher in the league, no doubt about it, i think in 3 years he will be the best 3-4 wolb in the draft. But basically all we have right now is WOLB with him and galette, IDK if i trust butler completely yet.

So i see the most likely to happen is either werner or mingo. Woudl u rather galette stay at WOLB and have werner be are SOLB or would u rather take mingo for our WOLB and take a chance that one of butler, galette, or tez could manage the SOLB?

Everything Ive seen points to Butler be a WOLB like Galette. We need a SAM who can cover and rush and Butler isn't exactly known for his coverage abilty.

Of all these I like Jones for a SAM since he has shown he can do all 3 things required of the position.

Werner is overhyped if you watch enough tape you will realize he isn't a high motor guy if he gets blocked initially he tends to give up on the rush and he isn't very good against the run. He was once considered a top 10 lock but as more info has gotten out people have realized he isn't worth a top 10 selection. Questionable motor, inconsistent, disappeared for long stretches.

WEAKNESSES: Lacks elite length for the position and doesn't have the natural start/stop explosion of some pass rushers. Will lose leverage at times, especially off the snap when he gets too high out of his stance. Has improved his awareness against the run, but still has room to improve his ability to sift through the trash and defeat off-balance blocks.
Motor tends to run hot/cold at times, especially late in games or if the play isn't to his side of the field. Needs to consistently finish when he gets his hands on the ballcarrier. Has a history of minor injuries, including a left hand issue that bothered him this past season.
In Ryan's scheme each outside position has a specific jobs
WILL Setting the edge vs the run( defending the right side "C Gap") and primary pass rusher.
SAM Covering tight ends and backs, defending against the run defending either the left side B or C gap depending on what the LDE does. and is the secondary pass rusher.

Galette and Butler both fit the WILL and not the SAM as neither are what you want dropping into to coverage.

And Tez doesn't have the quick read/reaction skills to be anything more than a sub package player at this point

I like trevardo, he is very athletic, he ran a 4.57, he is 6"1 240 so idk if he would be big enough to play SOLB but who knows.

Everything Ive seen points to Butler be a WOLB like Galette. We need a SAM who can cover and rush and Butler isn't exactly known for his coverage abilty.

Of all these I like Jones for a SAM since he has shown he can do all 3 things required of the position.

Werner is overhyped if you watch enough tape you will realize he isn't a high motor guy if he gets blocked initially he tends to give up on the rush and he isn't very good against the run. He was once considered a top 10 lock but as more info has gotten out people have realized he isn't worth a top 10 selection. Questionable motor, inconsistent, disappeared for long stretches.

In Ryan's scheme each outside position has a specific jobs
WILL Setting the edge vs the run( defending the right side "C Gap") and primary pass rusher.
SAM Covering tight ends and backs, defending against the run defending either the left side B or C gap depending on what the LDE does. and is the secondary pass rusher.

Galette and Butler both fit the WILL and not the SAM as neither are what you want dropping into to coverage.

And Tez doesn't have the quick read/reaction skills to be anything more than a sub package player at this point

Well all of Butler's snaps for Dallas, which he was very productive in his limited role, were behind anthony spencer at the SOLB position.

I like trevardo, he is very athletic, he ran a 4.57, he is 6"1 240 so idk if he would be big enough to play SOLB but who knows.

Course he can play the strong side, he played LOTS of DE at UCONN. Dudes gonna be a SLEEPER.

Well all of Butler's snaps for Dallas, which he was very productive in his limited role, were behind anthony spencer at the SOLB position.

Then the question is what was he asked to do? I can't recall him ever being asked to drop into coverage which he will be asked to if he starts.

Then the question is what was he asked to do? I can't recall him ever being asked to drop into coverage which he will be asked to if he starts.

Well like they said more and more teams in the NFL are going with spread looks making the olb actually kick in to defenive end and one of ur 2 nickel linebackers cover the tight end, just like justin houston, that dude cant cover but only like 18% of his snaps he was thrown at cuz he was rarely in coverage because so many teams are passing.

Plus if u have a good press and pop the tight end at the LOS it helps a lot.

Victor Butler at Strongside, Mingo as the Jack, Galette just all over the place, but mostly as a strongside rusher.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom