Which one of these guys fits the Saints?? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Sam Montgomery or Barkevius Mingo? Don't give me pro rhetoric breaking down all of these guys' pros and cons. I want to hear from the Purple-n-Gold bleeding LSU fans that have watched these guys play every down. If you're Mickey Loomis, which one do you want?:rolleyes:

In a 3-4, probably Mingo for his raw athleticism and upside as a rusher. He's only played end for like 2 or 3 years. He was a linebacker and a safety at points during his high school career. LSU would drop mingo back into coverage a lot and he did it well. He's not big enough to hold up as a 4-3 end but his first step explosion is going to be a TREMENDOUS asset for him when he gets to stand up a little bit off the line of scrimmage. He's incredibly fast out of his stance.

Montgomery, I think, could be a solid 4-3 end and a serviceable rush linebacker in a 3-4. The problem with him at linebacker would be limitations in coverage. He reminds me a lot of Chandler Jones that New England drafted last year. Not a superstar but a solid player in the league.

In a 3-4, probably Mingo for his raw athleticism and upside as a rusher. He's only played end for like 2 or 3 years. He was a linebacker and a safety at points during his high school career. LSU would drop mingo back into coverage a lot and he did it well. He's not big enough to hold up as a 4-3 end but his first step explosion is going to be a TREMENDOUS asset for him when he gets to stand up a little bit off the line of scrimmage. He's incredibly fast out of his stance.

Montgomery, I think, could be a solid 4-3 end and a serviceable rush linebacker in a 3-4. The problem with him at linebacker would be limitations in coverage. He reminds me a lot of Chandler Jones that New England drafted last year. Not a superstar but a solid player in the league.
Would you compare Sam Montgomery to Will Smith, and Mingo to Junior Gallette?

neither in the 1st, neither has the size and production you want of a 1st round pick, don't want to hear upside, 1st rounders play NOW.

neither in the 1st, neither has the size and production you want of a 1st round pick, don't want to hear upside, 1st rounders play NOW.

That's arguable. Mingo had 8 sacks in the first year he ever played defensive end. Last year he got more attention and his lack of size for a down lineman proved to be a hindrance, but he's definitely shown he can get to the quarterback and at times (like the bowl game) he was flat out unstoppable.

If you stand him up I think he can be impactful early because of that first step he has. The explosion is phenomenal. He'd have to take a redshirt if he was going to a 4-3 team, unless they decided to put him at linebacker anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom