Which past WR would have Flourished with Drew As His QB? (1 Viewer)

With Hebert the way I process his episode with Atlanta is you have to know Cajuns. Do you know any, or have any in your family?

Generally speaking...tend to be hot blooded and emotional. Prideful, quick to take offense and slow to forget trespasses. I know in the modern world this is "a stereotype" and is not 100% applicable across the board but, in my direct experience and empirical observation, there is a high probability that this is an accurate description of tendencies.

Going to Atlanta, doing the dirty bird victory lap in the Dome, holding a grudge for not getting paid then allowed to walk by Finks...to me was all part of the emotions and the hot French blood. It's a little like you might see in Irish and Italian families , one minute fighting and screaming, the next hugging and crying.

All that negative emotion is out of Hebert's system and he is back in the WhoDat fold. For the tendency for some South Louisiana fans to hold the grudge and hang on to the dirty bird lap and Hebert signing with Atlanta...refer back to my reference to Cajun emotional tendencies and grudges.

For context, Archie or any QB in the NFL in those days never made the kind of money they do today to the point you set up a foundation and become a philanthropist. I'm also not sure that tax laws were set up exactly the same way in the 70s with generous tax breaks to incentivise charity work. They were paid very well and "rich" by our standards but it is on a different level today, and at a certain income level if you are paying attention charity is to your financial advantage.
Like your William Holden avatar. he was one of my favorite actors. I understand very well what you are referring about with Booby Hebert. I played against him & Ed Ogeron in high school. We went down to Galliano & beat them on their turf the year they won state. We had to fight our way back to the bus after that game. And it wasn't the regular riff raff you would expect we had to literally fight with to get on the bus. It was the players moms throwing beer bottles & fisticuffs. man those broads took their football seriously down dare. And I repsect everything Booby did for the Saints in giving everything he had which I explained & I really just give him grief because he's a fushon & I'm from Terrebonne Parish. But I will never forget the dirty bird buzzard dance. I won't say anything else about the golden child who was once the highest paid player in the league, but never ever lived up to his hype because it causes too much butt hurt for those who are still trying to convince themselves that he was so much better than his team.like he was so much better than his team in college. Like he was so much better than his team in high school. Too bad it was always everyone's fault that he was a loser his whole career, because if he had anything to do with it, he surely would have won.

Eric Martin

Broke every team record for receiving in a very run heavy offense.

He wasn’t fast but could get open against anyone — back when defensive backs could be more physical — and he almost never dropped a catchable pass.

Drew would have absolutely loved Eric Martin and targeted him repeatedly in this offense.

Excuse me, did I write something offensive & inaccurate? Archie Manning career stats:139 starts, 2011 Comp. 3642 Att. Comp. %55.2, Yds. 23,911, 125 TDs, 173 Ints.
career QB Rat. 67.1, 12 game winning drives in 15 years doesn't exactly quality for the hall of fame. Edit: I forgot. Playoff appearances - 0, winning seasons -0
starting Rec. 35-101-3.
Do you have the ranks of the defenses he was playing with? Or how about the offensive lineman? He was a one man show on offense until Muncie, Galbreath, Childs and Chandler arrived. Never had an O line, or a decent defense.

Gerald Alphin and later Andre Hastings, Daryl Hobbs, Terry Guess, and Mercury Hayes. LOL! The late 1990s had teams that featured the most woeful skill players.

But seriously, all the usual suspects like Wesley Walls, Cam Cleveland, Quinn Early, Joe Horn, Floyd Turner, Eric Martin, Brett Perriman, and I would even say Sean Dawkins and Torrance Small. I think even Eddie Kennison and Wesley Carroll would have done better with Drew and of course Sean running the offense.

Last edited:
The best answers to this question would be the guys who went on to have big seasons after leaving us: John Gilliam, Brett Perriman, Floyd Turner (who still nearly had 1000 yds in 91 here), Eddie Kennison. Wesley Walls did well here with Everett, but he would've been an absolute monster with Brees.

Michael Haynes

The guy that came over from the Falcons.
I was just coming back to mention him and decided to check to see if anyone else had already done so. Michael was from the area and was thrilled to sign with us. At the time, he got one of the biggest deals ever—4 years, $10 million. To put that into context, we signed Joe Horn to the same deal several years later. Haynes was very fast and had a penchant for catching Hail Marys but he did not have the success he wanted here. I definitely think he would have thrived with Drew.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom