Which past WR would have Flourished with Drew As His QB? (1 Viewer)

I think we should stick with the OP thread and leave the Manning debate for another thread.
That's great with me. Let me state it like this for the record. If you give Drew Brees Henry Childs, Chick Muncie, Tony Galbreath, & Wes Chandler on the same team at the same time, He puts ALL of them into the hall of fame.

That's great with me. Let me state it like this for the record. If you give Drew Brees Henry Childs, Chick Muncie, Tony Galbreath, & Wes Chandler on the same team at the same time, He puts ALL of them into the hall of fame.
Well my first response was "basically anyone", it was a little premature on my part. Not everyone can flourished. The question remain is "can these receivers flourish in a Sean Payton offense"? That question seems to be lost within the discussion. If by my first post was true, then why have many receivers, both rookies and veterans, had come and gone from here quickly? It is because they could never get in sync with the offense. To answer your question, I pretty much can't because I don't know much about these players beside history and I didn't grow up watching these players. I am pretty sure some of the them can. But only people like yourself and others who had watch them would know.

I thought we were talking about Brees and receivers from the past, no comparing eras and QBs

I think the better question would be what past players would really flourish greatly in this offense. My pick would be Floyd Turner, Brett Perriman, Wesley Walls, and Dalton Hilliard.
Thank You, Wesley Wall’s! Martin and Horn

Dave Parks (RIP). I never saw him play live, but saw him in a few recorded games. From what my Dad told me he had good speed for the times, good hands and excellent size. I would think that would be exactly the kind of guy that Brees likes.

Besides, with his recent passing its a good time to remember him.

Saints 70 Home Back Dave Parks, Rams Eddie Meador.jpg
Kenny Stills has yet to live up to his rookie year with Drew.

What if Brees could have played with Deuce, Ricky Williams and Joe Horn with Sean Payton calling the plays back in 2001-2006!?!!!?!

Willie Jackson..... He would have been an ALL PRO, if Drew would have been his QB!! Rams playoff game 2000. ***I had to listen to the game on the radio, because we had no electricity in Atanta,TX (Ice storm in AR and TX) --If Aaron Brooks could make him look like a Star in that game, then Drew would have made him look like a HOF for the ENTIRE Season!!!
Drew would NOT have smiled after and interception either.... ;)

And nothing was what Archie's career amounted to other than hauling a lot of money out of new Orleans, making an extremely nice living doing it & bringing nothing back to the city, or the local area. There are a few who will disagree with this & those people pull a lot of weight in certain circles. But in reality what did he ever do for the city of new Orleans? i know what Drew Brees has done. i can to the WWII museum & see it visibly. I can go to the Brees dream foundation & see where my donations go. I thought you were wanting context. I gave you context & now you are calling me an axe grinder. I mean no disrespect. But I refuse to give respect when & where it has never been merited. I hate to have to say this. But people who post that Aaron Brooks was the 2nd best QB in Saints history & by extension much better for this franchise than manning are 100% spot on. I didn't care for Aaron's attitude at the end of his tenure here simply because there were a lot of people in New Orleans hurting a lot more than he was. And maybe that was his meaning & he didnt portray it properly. But Aaron Brooks accomplished ions more in his Saints career with less opportunities & less time than Archie ever did. And there again, I am not being disrespectful. I am merely being accurate & setting the record straight.

Booby ended up being a turn coat. But Booby with a deficiency of talent in comparison to Archie was a MAN. He wasn't just a man, he was a beast. I can still remember his tooth flying out of his head in one game & I know he had to have a concussion in that game. And he never took a play off. Did he get us where every fan hopes to go? He fell short due to a number of reasons. But as much as it hurt me to see him become a bloody dirty bird, when he was a Saint, he gave everything he had to this organization. that is why I forgive him for his trespass & misdirection.

Now as to context. If you understood what context meant as much as you would like to think, you would understand context is not objective.it's a very subjective open ended way to try to push black & white closed ended statistical cold hard facts into a grey area which allows for those who are completely off base a way to excuse themselves without being completely embarrassed for not having an answer for their argument against the truth. You are a very intelligent person & that is not difficult to see. it is also not difficult to assume when you state factually by the numbers & place them into context. And people are still angry at you because of it, that it is necessary to further back your position with the preposition based on the evidence & the context of such evidence that it is your right to be politically incorrect if you are stating the facts. And the fact is Archie Manning was never as good as Brooks, Hebert, Everett, Wade Wilson? How about Billie Joe Hobert? I'd have to look his numbers up. But that case could possibly be made. the only difference is, he was given enough time & surrounded with enough superior talent to where one year he had to no choice but to have a good season. And those are the real facts on Archie Manning. No disrespect, just the facts. And i didn't say Archie was stupid. I know he's a good business man. That doesn't equate with football IQ.
With Hebert the way I process his episode with Atlanta is you have to know Cajuns. Do you know any, or have any in your family?

Generally speaking...tend to be hot blooded and emotional. Prideful, quick to take offense and slow to forget trespasses. I know in the modern world this is "a stereotype" and is not 100% applicable across the board but, in my direct experience and empirical observation, there is a high probability that this is an accurate description of tendencies.

Going to Atlanta, doing the dirty bird victory lap in the Dome, holding a grudge for not getting paid then allowed to walk by Finks...to me was all part of the emotions and the hot French blood. It's a little like you might see in Irish and Italian families , one minute fighting and screaming, the next hugging and crying.

All that negative emotion is out of Hebert's system and he is back in the WhoDat fold. For the tendency for some South Louisiana fans to hold the grudge and hang on to the dirty bird lap and Hebert signing with Atlanta...refer back to my reference to Cajun emotional tendencies and grudges.

For context, Archie or any QB in the NFL in those days never made the kind of money they do today to the point you set up a foundation and become a philanthropist. I'm also not sure that tax laws were set up exactly the same way in the 70s with generous tax breaks to incentivise charity work. They were paid very well and "rich" by our standards but it is on a different level today, and at a certain income level if you are paying attention charity is to your financial advantage.

After watching this team for the entirety of its existence, I believe the receiver that would have benefited the most from playing with Brees is without a doubt Eric Martin. The guy was great with less than stellar QB play and in my mind is still the most underrated player in Saints history. Put him with Brees and he would have set records. To me, he was a mini-Michael Thomas — incredible hands, terrific route runner and great after the catch. He is the only answer IMHO, with all due respect to Horn, Brennan and others.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom