Saints Which past (year) Saints defense would make our 2020 team scary good? (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
I’m thinking it’s our 1992 team: Absolutely bad ars’d on defense. Gave up about 12.6 ppg. The ‘91 team defense wasn’t too bad either. Dome Patrol, baby!

This 2020 Saints team is giving up far too many points per game. Even if we make the postseason, it won’t be a deep run if we don’t tighten up on D.

:gosaints:

I’m thinking it’s our 1992 team: Absolutely bad ars’d on defense. Gave up about 12.6 ppg. The ‘91 team defense wasn’t too bad either. Dome Patrol, baby!

This 2020 Saints team is giving up far too many points per game. Even if we make the postseason, it won’t be a deep run if we don’t tighten up on D.

Hard to say the rules of the game have made LBers significantly less important. I would put Demario Davis up there with Mills (High Praise). We would be much stronger on the edges with Swilling and Jackson, but I think our secondary would be a significant downgrade. I liked Toi Cook and Brett Maxie, but people used to complain about them all the time even when the rules favored them. And our 2nd corner was a rotating mess, let alone the nickle we would need to play on most downs in the current league.

Hard to say the rules of the game have made LBers significantly less important. I would put Demario Davis up there with Mills (High Praise). We would be much stronger on the edges with Swilling and Jackson, but I think our secondary would be a significant downgrade. I liked Toi Cook and Brett Maxie, but people used to complain about them all the time even when the rules favored them. And our 2nd corner was a rotating mess, let alone the nickle we would need to play on most downs in the current league.
Van Jakes and (the late) Dave Waymer were ballin’ in the secondary.

IIRC, Waymer led the NFL in INT’s one season.

How many flags would that Saints D get playing in today's game?

First 10 games of 2019 would be good enough to get to the super bowl once MT comes back.

If I have to pick a Sean Payton Defense:
2013 with Greer not injured.

That may have been the best defense Sean ever fielded.
Last year during the Teddy 5 game stretch was insanely impressive too.

Van Jakes and (the late) Dave Waymer were ballin’ in the secondary.

IIRC, Waymer led the NFL in INT’s one season.

Waymer is one of the greats but went to the Forty-Whiners in 90. So I think you are thinking the 88 defense:

Tony Elliot at NT, Gibson and Maxie as the Staring Safeties. With Cook and Atkins potentially at Nickle and Dime.

The 92 defense though gave us Wayne Martin sliding Wilks inside. Those front 3 were pretty darn good, good enough for a 3-4. Goff and Turnbull were solid rotational components. Although I think you could make a case that we are deeper in front now then than which is important in this package heavy era of football.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom